Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been on the hunt for a metal,container to act as a faraday cage. I’ve looked at metal cabinets and tool boxes, but they all seem to require a lot of modifications….

I have a galvanized garbage can cage currently, but it’s not quite big enough. Any thoughts on using metal 55g drums (re-sealable), to use? I think the only work involved would be sealing the bung holes on the lid…. Thoughts?

Blue Liquid Paint Fluid Waste containment

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Insofar as microwave ovens keeping microwaves in, if that is so, why are there warning signs about the possibility of them affecting pacemakers and such?

It seems to me that going to such great lengths to protect electronic devices may be futile, since the infrastructures that support these devices will also be destroyed so they won't work anyway. However, I am certainly not an expert on this and may well be wrong.
the idea is to save some comms and solar generators/panels. That way I’d have some power for comms lights etc. things I won’t need infrastructure for.

yes, emp was my main concern.

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you've watch any of Dr A Bradley's videos, he demonstrated that using a ham handie-talkie inside a wrapped radio so see if it would receive an RF signal from another radio on the same frequency implied it would show if the shielding was capable of protecting electonics.
Here is a screen shot from onw of his books, showing the shielding effectiveness (dB) of various methods of shileding electronics.
As you can see, the metal tape sealed metal garbage can had the highest shileding if all across all the electromagnetic spectrum. As I mentioned before, I use the triple aluminum foil/plastic insulting barrier wrap. Then it goes into my tape sealed garbage can. What is note worthy is that the good doctor's anti-static bag had a lower value that the aluminum foil.

View attachment 115024
ya, I was wondering if the steel drum would be similar to the garbage can, but bigger interior volume….

1 - 3 of 3 Posts