Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
You could use an old microwave oven as a faraday cage with no modifications if it keeps microwaves in it will keep microwaves out.
I've used an EMF meter while running my microwave and the meter does pick up a big spike. I'm not 100% sure but I think that means the microwave is not in fact keeping the microwaves in. Unless the EMF meter is picking up the electric motor in the microwave, and not the microwave energy?

· Registered
20 Posts
To know that, you'd need to know if your EMF meter is a broadband or selective measuring device. Can you set a frequency range? If so, set it for 2.45Ghz and see if you detect anything outside the microwave oven while running it. If you do, you have a faulty oven and should replace it.
If you can't select a frequency range, your detector is capable of picking up a very large range of the EM spectrum. Knowing what it's detecting would be difficult to nail down in that case.
Good info, thanks. Unfortunately it only lets me pick between magnetic, electric, and RF. I can't set a specific range.

As to the OP, I had the same experience as KellyDude. I tried once as well and I couldn't manage to make a homemade faraday cage that was genuinely RF-tight. Granted I was using tin foil but it was really surprising how the tiniest gaps between layers of foil would make it as if it wasn't even there. Didn't even reduce the RF.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts