Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I traveled to Monterey, CA today. Her folks are burried there and its only been a few years since they past and she likes to visit their grave sites. So sorry for the morbid nature but its the only reason we travel there now. We go to Trader Joes in down town Monterey for some flowers to take to the cemetary. Its in the heart of Monterey, down town, a few blocks up from the tourist area. I was floored. The place was packed. Every counter full, and while my wife stood in line for the flowers I "shopped" to see what they were selling. Wine, fancy pasta, fancy soups, spices, speciality meals, and just plain EXPENSIVE crap - oh kay I shouldn't say crap just because I won't spend my few available dollars on it. We were there I guess at prime time - 11 AM - but I am just shocked at how busy it was. Nothing special going on in town, weather not particularly sharp (little chilly and over cast) but one very BUSY store.

Those well off are still well off - still spending it - like they got it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think in California we have a lot more people who are into trends. Plenty of television lovers who are simply watching and doing what everyone else is. So traderjoes sells some food they label organic and people go there to buy it. Especially since that whole jucing fad is going on. Fresh and easy, traderjoes sprouts all those places are flooded with your jersey shore rejects and girls who want to live up to the standard. I work with people everyday who don't live within their means and spend money they don't have.

·
Super Moderator
9,041 Posts
My favorite are the people who flaunt their affluence by shopping on the way home for the meals, every single day. My sis-in-law is one of these. Guess who's not prepared for sh_t.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
you realize of course that another random person their, drew the same conclusion of you, for being present. You yourself were mentally labeled affluent.

Don't worry I do it to, No I do not go to trader Joe's I can not afford expensive crap. What I mean is I mentally label others when I see them in a situation, in order to sanctify my feelings about any given situation.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think I'd make a really good millionaire. Even if I didn't it sure would be fun to give it a try.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I think your problem with trader joes is Montery CA, I go to one in Spokane, WA occasionally and they have decent prices.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Trader Joes here in Lexington Ky has great prices...no more expensive than any other grocery store for about the same thing...I still dont buy their crap!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And that well could be. I don't frequent the one here in Modesto (near me). Their package sizes seemed quite small compared to items I might buy at Costco or Wal Mart - where I shop if I must shop at all. I noticed they had some kind of organicky \ recycled paper form of TP that was 2.99 for 4 rolls - uh uh - I just bought 24 rolls of the really cheap stuff at Food4Less for 3.98 last week. When SHTF people just want the TP they won't care if its organicky or whatever.

I think your problem with trader joes is Montery CA, I go to one in Spokane, WA occasionally and they have decent prices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts