Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 77 He Prepares Burgers Earning in Week His Former Hourly Wage - Yahoo Finance

Setting aside ammo, water filters, seed, and foods I can't easly grow aside this is why I took to prepping when my business closed in 09. I did not want to be 77 years old and need a $10 hr job to survive. Much of my preps are all about self sustaining without income.

Shelter paid for,
Transportation paid for, and can create diesel (bio),
Food without shopping,
Energy from the sun, or diesel generator,

The only things I'd have to buy are things I don't need (Internet, tv, books,) but want. About the only thing I fear is health problems, and I'll have to buy insurance from that.

I admit I wanted more than that, but at this stage I'll be happy if at 77 I just don't have to be working.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Same here. Trying real hard to grow what I can. I'm hoping to only buy meat (beef) and dairy. I'm working on getting chickens, but I'm not zoned for cows/cattle.

I hope to only have to pay utilities, and the amenities. Hoping that if I "over" produce, I can sell what I don't can to earn extra income to pay the bills. My yard making me money :D

Edit. Forgot to mention. My house is paid off. Newest car is 22 years old. Oldest is 57 years old. All run and drive daily if need be. No mortgage to pay, no car payment to pay. There's no way I'd be making it if I had to pay either or both.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
The reason I work as hard as I do now is so that at 77 I can work for minimum wage at a hardware store. Not for the money, I just think it would be really fun to work at a hardware store with no responsibilities for payroll. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The reason I work as hard as I do now is so that at 77 I can work for minimum wage at a hardware store. Not for the money, I just think it would be really fun to work at a hardware store with no responsibilities for payroll. :)
Wish I was on my computer so I can "like" this comment.

I'm inherently lazy :p so I'm busting my ass when I'm young so I don't HAVE to work. I'll work cause I need something to do. Not because I need the check.

I pulled out Italian yuccas the size of Volkswagen beetles to make room for food.

Anything worth having, is worth the hard work

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Retired from one, getting close to a second retirement. Not ready to quit working yet.
I know some will not understand it but I enjoy productive work.
For someone that made that kind of cash to end up broke they has to be more to the story.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
In my area they are opening a Cabela's store next year.

I don't need the money but what the heck, how much fun would it be to work for cabella's?!!

I am seriously thinking of applying for a job, yea that wages will probably be low but if I cared, I will work my way up to management in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
In my area they are opening a Cabela's store next year.

I don't need the money but what the heck, how much fun would it be to work for cabella's?!!

I am seriously thinking of applying for a job, yea that wages will probably be low but if I cared, I will work my way up to management in a couple of years.
This would be ideal, except for every $100 I earned I probably spend $200:oops:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I want to do my dream job without having to worry about turning a profit.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah my wife thinks we should spend 2 years working at Disneyland for retirements start. I told its too far to commute and I don't want to live near that place. It was fun to visit now it costs more than 2 bricks of 22LR for just one of us to go.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would guess the more to his story is over spending. I hope his kids are thinking of repaying him for the college educations that he bought them. No doubt he lossed his backside in CA's housing crash. I saw one neighbor pay $375k for what is now a $150k house. It was $120k at one point.

About a year after I closed by store / shop there was an article about a city fireman getting foreclosed on. He owed $400k on his home and couldn't make the payment. They had to crop the image on the front page of his new F150 in the drive way hooked up to his 22ft ski boat. The article noted the poor man had lived there 18 years first buying the home for $159k. The journalist didn't ask how he got up to $400k in loans on the house. Imagined had they bought a solar system, an invest property, or other investments with that how much better off they'd been. No he used his equity on a boat, truck, and time share at retail price. I would guess the same is true for the 77 yr old now flipping burgers.

Retired from one, getting close to a second retirement. Not ready to quit working yet.
I know some will not understand it but I enjoy productive work.
For someone that made that kind of cash to end up broke they has to be more to the story.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
The reason I'm semi retired at 49 and don't really give a crap about the money is will I want to be around when I'm 77. The way the country has gone down hill in the last 10 years I'm sure in the next 25 years will be even better. Beside with the new health care if I'm 77 and get sick they won't help me anyway.

Don't waste the best part of your life saving for the end. You might not make anyway.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I'll probably be like that poor man, working until I die. After the last 5 years, I'm starting over from scratch (again). The only thing I still have is my house which is not paid off. Bought it late when starting over after a divorce. But, looking at the bright side, I get excited again about the little things.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started over again late in 09. Mind you I had it pretty good compared to most thanks to parents, some savings, and the like but it wasn't how things were suppose to be. It is 4 years now plus a month since my business ended. I'm out of debt except for a recent land purchase that is paying for itself and then some, and have never been better off because my cost of living is so low. That has been the real kicker for me - learning to live life as I should have been - all along.

I'll probably be like that poor man, working until I die. After the last 5 years, I'm starting over from scratch (again). The only thing I still have is my house which is not paid off. Bought it late when starting over after a divorce. But, looking at the bright side, I get excited again about the little things.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah my wife thinks we should spend 2 years working at Disneyland for retirements start. I told its too far to commute and I don't want to live near that place. It was fun to visit now it costs more than 2 bricks of 22LR for just one of us to go.
Haha, that is our goal accept Disney World. We are going the same route. We just bought and paid cash for 5 acres of land, we are paying for the clearing as we can afford it and putting in a well next month with a hand pump. The idea is the same. Instead of investing into a 401k we are investing into our land and property. We are in our early 30s now and plan to retire with a paid off house, paid for vehicles, with chickens, ducks, goats, fish, a garden, and then do whatever we want to do. Which Disney World is one of the places that we can easily get to and work at should we want to and when the grand kids want to come for a visit we will have the free tickets ready :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was lucky enough to pay my ranch off a few years ago. I have worked two jobs since I got out of college. My only real debt now is for heavy equipment payments (backhoe, excavator). I plan to continue working two jobs until my all of my equipment is paid off. Should be about 5 years from now. I still have 3 young kids so I will continue to work one job for another 10 years or so. I like to work and I like construction and building around my place with my own equipment so I don't mind the payments. P.S. If I worked at Cabelas, there is no way I would earn more than I spent. I would be an indentured servant in no time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts