Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Live in Maine and bought 25 Acres In Northern Maine and Thinking about a starting a Off-Grid Community. It has Lots of Wild life and fishing and great farming soil. Im going up in the spring to start working on the land My son and GF will join me when school is out. If i go at it alone Im ok with that but I know their is alot of people looking for a off grid community from reading online so i thought I'd put it out there and stuff. If people just want to give tips and suggestions Im ok with that could use as much help and advice as possible. I currently live in central Maine lived here all my life and know what its like year round.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The first time you add someone to your community I suspect the local authorities will demand a permit - thus putting you on the grid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a stream running through the land and 25 acres is decent even if people want to camp and help in spring or summer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Local authorities is the state Police and county sheriffs. Sheriffs are 45 mins away. More likely to see a game warden then a cop. Its Maine Northern Woods

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I think it's a nice idea - sounds like a great camp site. I'd hesitate to make it anything more than that until you need to. Great way to team build though. That is until one of the team members washes out but already knows where to go if/when the ballon goes up. Much to consider.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Id work on provisioning and fortifying the area and then brining in true believers first.

Lots goes into a true off-grid homestead - a huge fiscal investment too, I can see sinking half a mil into it for water purification, sewage and alt energy plus structures as it is.

Forget the actual number but to setup a small COP for an ODA plus a few of us support guys and local forces was somewhere well north of that

sent from a paper cup and string via quantum wierdness

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the land to live off grid and have some livestock and some crops. I was going to do it alone. Me a Camper and a generator and my son until i build a log cabin. someone told me about looking into a small community or even getting summer help from people who like off grid style

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought the land to live off grid and have some livestock and some crops. I was going to do it alone. Me a Camper and a generator and my son until i build a log cabin. someone told me about looking into a small community or even getting summer help from people who like off grid style
Great idea !! I've also thought of doing something like this. My biggest worry is getting someone or a group of people I'd dislike ...( good word...dislike)..alot ,better then what I'm really thinking. LOL
I like it when people come together and help each other out , it help build strength in a community ....everyone help out and looks after there bigger... "family". It's a great way to live, until as someone has already pointed out , the community draws too much attention....Quietly doing something like this ...is sometimes the best way to do it.
I wish you the best of luck!! And hope all your dreams come true, but be careful what you wish for...everything in life is abtainable if you really want it.
Cheers
B

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I mean maine that sounds doable maine is gorgeous, lots of hunting tell us more about the property

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Make sure to put the latrine on the down hill end of the estate. House, camp ground, parking, garden and laundry sure uses up 25 acres really quick. For a small family, let alone a community of how many??

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I drove past one in north GA somewhere on a mountainside they had a solar powerplant set up with banners and it was all set up with doublewides it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I mean maine that sounds doable maine is gorgeous, lots of hunting tell us more about the property
Its 25 acres of mixed woods and a brook running through it. I know 25 acres people are saying isnt alot but thinking that the average american lives on .25 acres. I bought the land with the intent to live off grid/ Homestead. build a cabin from the wood on the land. Have a camper with a couple RV solar panels to start. I aint rich but I want my kid to grow up learning good stuff. He is 8 and I live in lewiston right now till i go up with a camper in the spring and drugs and OD's are way to high. I grew up herding cattle and moved to the city when i was 16 with my family and thought this was the best way to get out. Maybe its a dream but I got the hard part done which is getting the land now I have to just get in and start working on it

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I live on 20 acres in a rural setting and do plan on a community coming together if there is a crisis. Difference for me is they will be my neighbors and not a bunch of strangers that you will never really know. I suggest going it alone with your family and taking it slow. Once you invite someone & they know you & your location, what do you do when you find out they have a screw loose? Sure you can kick them out of the group but now you have an enemy who knows all about you.

As far as homesteading & being self reliant, it could take much more land than you have to feed a community. During a crisis, when you don't have access to fertilizers & sprays, the amount of food one grows per acre will go way down. Even down here in Mississippi, with our much longer growing seasons, you need to plan on around 1-2 acres per person... and that is good crop land, not woods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wood is great for building and heat. But the land has great soil and is mixed woods. id say 7-9 acres is a clear field and after cutting trees and clearing could have more farmig land. My goal is to have some live stock and I dont know if i want a community really just want a couple decent people that can help. Lot of work for 1 guy and an 8 year old

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Okay Outlaw, after reading your first post, I was going to harass you with something like this:

I think that is a GREAT idea! You should buy a bunch of shipping containers and stack them in a perimeter around your land and sell/rent them to folks. Then you could subjugate the people outside your perimeter as laborers. You could set up toilet seats on 5 gallon buckets and make the peasants outside your shipping container fortress carry away and dispose of the buckets full of shit for a few grains of corn!
But I won't go down that path because it sounds like you are genuine after reading this whole thread.

Every rural community that I have been in within these formerly great United States (and that is quite a few of them) already have a network of folks set up for dealing with crisis. It is usually not formal. But neighbors know each other and are currently trading skills and resources, even without a crisis. Your job, buying land in a rural community, is to figure out who that network is and what you can offer them in return for what they can offer you.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My wife and I were part of a community of very serious minded and capable people for a few years in the 70’s and 80’s. There were other communities in our general area with a good collection of intelligent skilled people. Our community was on 160 acres… good forest and good water. Others had less, some had more. Every community failed. There was never a question of adequate resources or the ability to exist off the grid. In each case it was the people.

To boil it down, after a while the people that did not own the land got tired of working to support the community and to improve the productivity of the land. They forgot that they lived without any rent or food and living expenses. They wanted partial control and partial ownership. When that was refused, they slowly left to go back to working jobs and paying taxes. Egos, betrayals, infidelities, jalousies, rivalries… all the human frailties eroded the communities.

We owned our 160 acres and stayed, as other owners did for a period of years, but eventually it became too much for two people with two kids to keep up with… livestock, gardens, tree cutting, hunting, unavoidable expenses and so much more than you can imagine. Twenty-five acres might be enough, but a thousand areas won’t fix broken people.

In total we worked it for about 12 years. My take away is that unless you’re truly in a survival scenario where it’s ‘be part of the community or parish’, where there are very few other options, people who have existed in this modern era (mentally soft) will become dissatisfied with the level of effort that subsistence requires and they will abandon the community… after causing a great deal of difficulty and heartbreak. MEO (My Experienced Opinion).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts