Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your overall thoughts of them? The thing that is somewhat holding me back is my current medical condition is forcing me out of the military earlier than expected. Within a year we will be buying a home in Ohio. Financially, I could pay for the RV no problem but when you add in a house I feel like I might have to give up on some of my wants (acreage, finished basement, work shop etc...). All opinions welcome...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry to hear that brother... Financial obligations should always out weight that of wants and desires... to be honest and this is just me but there are some monster bucks in Ohio and I would never pass up on a house and some good acreage lol... Thats just my thoughts on the matter... Sorry to hear about the early discharge.. Keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
An RV is a good idea, but you need somewhere to park it with electric hookup, water and sewage also. If you own property then I would say go ahead with the RV and live in that and maybe build a small house afterwards. Then you have a live in bug out vehicle if it turns to that. Something to consider at least. Something you own is always a plus and if you bug out to a different location / friends or other families land you have a shelter to work from.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I lived in one for 10 years and would again in a heart beat. Self contained means less wasted energy and so much easier to care for and sooooo much cheaper than a big house.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm confused, why the frack would you buy a home in Ohio?

Google "redoubt states" and move there where the property is cheaper and you don't need a RV

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I am going to agree with Montana Rancher. Living in an RV is like riding a motorcycle across the country. It sounds so romantic and fun. The reality of an RV is that gas prices will keep you from moving much and the bills you have to pay to park - even as a member at the "camp grounds" are almost as bad as fuel. You have little storage space, barely enough room to live with a partner (unless you are masochistic) and you are restricted by the multitude of laws of each state you cross into as to what you can have on board. (guns, fruit, veggies, meat, and on and on)

With acreage you have room for a garden, a comfortable home, animals and no annual license to renew. You get to build out-buildings and maintain the place. You trade engine repairs for hot water heaters and refrigerators; transmission breakdowns for repainting and cleaning gutters. The RV will depreciate in value every year while the value of your home grows.

Either way there are expenses and maintenance but with a home and property you have much more freedom to explore yourself rather than exploring the countryside one mile at a time. I find there are fewer distractions mentally and emotionally when I am home. I am more relaxed and energetic than when I traveled the road for six hours a day (or more).

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Gas mileage is no worse then a jacked up 4X4. That depends on size. Purchase as a bug out vehicle? Would the money be better invested into a secure place?

That being said, we are looking at getting a class A come about next June.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Gas mileage is no worse then a jacked up 4X4. That depends on size. Purchase as a bug out vehicle? Would the money be better invested into a secure place?

That being said, we are looking at getting a class A come about next June.
OK, let me make sure I understand; 6 mpg, and little to no storage space and tied to the highway and places with dump sites and potable water from a hose, built very light so it offers little protection from anything but the mildest of weather and you live in Florida - which we all consider one of the hurricane centers of the world and you would choose a class A motor home as a bugout vehicle? I saw what the highways looked like in videos from the last few storms and I would say the last place I want to be in a traffic jam is in a class A with bad weather coming. I would rather be in a Jeep CJ because at least you have a chance of getting through the traffic or off the highway and onto some back-road that goes the same direction.

Maybe I'm confused...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
A debt free class A motor home is better than thousands of dollars in debt in a metro area, but each has its limitations.

In what scenario would a motor home be better than physical land?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I will agree that owning land is a great way to go, but the mpg can be overcome with a minimum of cost. The storage issue is what you make of it. The lack of living space is a throw back to the spoiled life style of most Americans, more is better. But that may not be the case if the SHTF. As far as state borders, even if your crossing NY or going thru Ill., if you are just passing through there would be no problem if you watch your speed and driving. It's not for everyone but many live that life now and love their lifestyle. The wife and I did it while we we're antique dealers part time for 6 years and that was a smaller one.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
OK, let me make sure I understand; 6 mpg, and little to no storage space and tied to the highway and places with dump sites and potable water from a hose, built very light so it offers little protection from anything but the mildest of weather and you live in Florida - which we all consider one of the hurricane centers of the world and you would choose a class A motor home as a bugout vehicle? I saw what the highways looked like in videos from the last few storms and I would say the last place I want to be in a traffic jam is in a class A with bad weather coming. I would rather be in a Jeep CJ because at least you have a chance of getting through the traffic or off the highway and onto some back-road that goes the same direction.

Maybe I'm confused...
We are retired & have two homes in Florida which are 400 miles apart. We would always leave early if needed. RV would allow us to move gear as well as the dogs, 5 large dogs. If you don't think there is storage in a motorhome you haven't been around class A motorhomes much. Plus if we had to move a direction we hadn't planned for we could do that in comfort also. And there is the fact of the compact SUV pulled behind the motorhome.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I lived in one for 10 years and would again in a heart beat. Self contained means less wasted energy and so much easier to care for and sooooo much cheaper than a big house.
I am a full time RVer. Yes its self contained and that's awesome. Yes its great that I can pack in an hour and move off to greener or safer pastures. Yes energy use can be less and cheaper and you have more options...Ie...Propane, Electricity and powering one on a genset is easy enough to do as well. In fact I have a 30amp genset to hook my RV up too if there is a power loss. Its 28 degrees right now and I am using 2 x 250 watt heat lamps and a 200 watt personal space heater and its toasty warm inside right now...granted my electricity is included with my 335 dollar lake front space rent, so why would I want to run my propane heater? Maintenance and upkeep aint significant, but you do have some if you want your RV to remain usuable for long.

Mines only a 24 footer and too small really for my needs, but its what I got. I retired from the military came back to my home town and needed living accomadations. My parents had a small RV they couldn't use anymore and owed more on it than they could sell it for so I took the payments over for them and moved into it and parked it at an RV park. I need to upgrade here soon or buy another large boat and go back to being a live a board again.

If you want to know more PM me and I will talk the ear off the side of your face.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
At 24ft, I'm guessing its a class C. You will be surprised how much more space is in a 30 or 32ft as well as the under the floor storage space. Some even add extra fuel tanks to extend their driving range. And easy enough to add an additional 100lb LP tank or extra batteries. And being able to tow a compact car behind it gives more versatility.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
If you take a motorhome & replace the toilet with a composting toilet you now only have grey water to deal with instead of brown water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would see a travel trailer, not a motor home, as a potential bugout home on wheels. You could either keep it at your home, or take it to a remote location and preposition it. I keep mine at home with supplies stored in it, ready to bugout if necessary. I also installed solar panels on the roof, so I can use it when the power in my house is out during storms, etc. It has a propane heater, hot water, stove, a bathroom and shower. All the comforts of home.

·
Super Moderator
9,105 Posts
Living in a motorhome can be hard. I've been doing it for a lousy 2 months now, and I can't wit to get into our new home. My wife and I have been RVing for nearly 40 years and RVing and living in an RV is completely different. We've gotten used to the idea of doing with minimal everything due to available storage. Going from our previous 1800 Sq. Ft house to about 240 Sq. Ft is ok on weekends and even for a couple of weeks at a time, but... I have no shop, no place to store my preps. But, my RV is one of my bug out plans. Living in an RV is better than nothing or under a tent or tarp or in a cave. I wouldn't want to have to live in it during the snow and blow, so bugging out meant going south. It is only my wife and I, the kid and his family won't be joining us. Can you do it, certainly. There are people out there called "full timers" who live 24/7/365 in their RVs. A trailer is almost always a lot cheaper than a motorhome, and take a lot less upkeep. If you haven't tried it, rent/borrow an RV of the type your thinking about. I've seen quite a few people go out and spend thousands and then dump the RV the very next year.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Tavel trailer you need a gas hog to pull. Motorhome the gas hog is built in. Cost of upkeep should come out to about the sameat about the same sizes. I very much think the motorhome has the advantage of being able to tow something behind it be it a cargo traier, trailer with ATV, or a second vehicle.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I really cannot opine as I like both options. When I retire I plan to full time RV for a few years. The only thing I would consider is if what limitations your health will put on you. Whatever makes you the most comfortable and able to live happily I say go for it. You've earned it and deserve it for serving our country, and us. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I am not suggesting that living in an RV is not doable - it clearly is and it can be an ..... adventure?

My wife and I spend most of our time together in a room that is 18' by 24' but if that was all the space we had I would have no room to store the years supply of food, my guns and ammo, my reloading gear and supplies not to mention my tools, machines, welder, compressor and the spare parts for our equipment. This room has twice the space of a motor home. Our home is not big and lavish at 1500 square feet but we also have two out-buildings and the crawl space under the home.

I do know that being a prepper in a motor home is a nearly impossible task. That almost requires a home with some property around the home.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What are your overall thoughts of them?.....
DW and I love it as a hobby and have had one continuously since '87 when we bought a new 23 ft Toyota Dolphin micro-mini Class C. We even lived in it full time for three years when I returned from the PI and couldn't get back to Nellis and ended up down at Luke AFB in Phoenix and we did just over a year in a class A while deciding whether or not to remain in Vegas or move back to Texas. We decided to remain here, but more due to DW's wants, we bought another sticks and bricks. Buying an RV and jumping into full time IMHO is not always the best thing to do as there are many factors to concern. The best advise I could give, not really knowing anything about you and whether or not you have family with you, is to find an RV rental place and rent one for a few days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts