Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missing family of 6 found in Nevada's bitter cold - CNN.com

Looks like they spent two nights in the frozen area not all that far from my frozen area. Tough place to be outside and not prepared. Hats off to the adults keeping the kids warm, not abandoning the turned over vehicle and heating up some rocks for warmth. Well done.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
It is great news. Looks like they found away to get by.
Question if it were you sense you have fire why not remove a tire burn the thing and send up one heck of a smoke signal?

Reactions: rickkyw1720pf

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I wouldn't be without my Mr Heater and 8 1lb propane bottles. I put it in my vehicle when ever in freezing weather. Then you at least know you aren't going to freeze to death for several days.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Great news. I'm glad they were able to survive in such harsh conditions. I do wonder how they put themselves in that position to begin with though.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Great news. I'm glad they were able to survive in such harsh conditions. I do wonder how they put themselves in that position to begin with though.
I will with hold Judgement on that for now. Lord knows a few times in my life I have ask now what how did I end up in this mess.
Living in Wisconsin we take winter driving very serious.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Heard it on the radio, but was good to read the story. GODBLESS, and Im glad they pulled throu.
Being outside smoking lastnight, it was 6 degrees, and made me think about the less fortunate, and my poor fiance, who wears securtiy pants, I need to get her some underarmour.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I'll be the one to ask the question what the HELL we're those parents thinking. The oldest was what 10 years old, the youngest was 4 years old and they took them out in what appears to have been very rugged country to PLAY in the snow. All the kids where not their kids either I don't believe. Either stupid adults, looking for 15 minutes of fame, negligent or just dam lucky. I know if it was one of my kids they would get an ear full from me and never be alone with my kid again.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's about 15 miles out of town they were, and their SUV rolled on them when they lost track of the road it seems in the snow. I can see that happening on the one raid adjacent to my property about 120 miles north of this incident. If they hadn't been found I was going to join in tomorrow on the way to the ranch for a long weekend. There are recreation areas around, mountains, good toboggan runs, etc.

Hats off to the cell phone people. They gave authorities a nice map of where not too look for them based on pinging of their phones not working. Hats off to the locals and air core for finding them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll be the one to ask the question what the HELL we're those parents thinking. The oldest was what 10 years old, the youngest was 4 years old and they took them out in what appears to have been very rugged country to PLAY in the snow. All the kids where not their kids either I don't believe. Either stupid adults, looking for 15 minutes of fame, negligent or just dam lucky. I know if it was one of my kids they would get an ear full from me and never be alone with my kid again.
They were probably thinking "Hey, let's go out driving in the mountains and I'll get near the edge of the road so that I we can fall off a cliff and have to survive for several days in this cold ass weather. Then we'll get our 15 minutes of fame."

Did that thought really pop into your head?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
They were probably thinking "Hey, let's go out driving in the mountains and I'll get near the edge of the road so that I we can fall off a cliff and have to survive for several days in this cold ass weather. Then we'll get our 15 minutes of fame."

Did that thought really pop into your head?
I guess stupid people never do stupid things. Try reading just about any newspaper or listen to any news show and maybe you might hear about stupid things people do EVERY DAM DAY. About a year ago a guy shot 20 kids at a school, some moron kidnapped 3 girls and keep them locked up for 10 years, 2 brothers set off a bomb at a marathon race and killed how many, remember 9/11, some guy in Washington,DC said drip a missile on that American citizen and don't worry about the others in the car, let's sell guns to a drug dealer and see what they do with them. You must have forgotten what some people can/will do. Don't ask the hard questions, just be glad they all made it home ok.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
A little more of the story came out and this man wasn't a total nut. He burned his spare tire and made a fire in which he used to heat rocks then brought them into the car to keep them warm. He also had the sense to stay with the vehicle and none suffered frostbite and were in relatively good condition. Last I read they weren't sure if any would need to stay in the hospital.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
A little more of the story came out and this man wasn't a total nut. He burned his spare tire and made a fire in which he used to heat rocks then brought them into the car to keep them warm. He also had the sense to stay with the vehicle and none suffered frostbite and were in relatively good condition. Last I read they weren't sure if any would need to stay in the hospital.
That's great +100% for him and Yes, I'm glad their all ok, but I still question why they took such young kids out in the "bad" weather conditions to begin with to play in the snow. There was nothing closer than where they actually went?

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
Let those of you who have never screwed up, hurl the first insult! Most of the "unprepared" live in a constant state of denial, "Nothing will happen if I drive while I'm tired, or it's snowing like crazy, or ..." I've done a lot of stupid things in my life. Sometimes I was lucky and nothing happened, sometimes I got bit in the a$$. As a paramedic, I had the opportunity to learn a lot from other people's mistakes.

Now if he does it again next year, I'll call him an idiot too.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Let those of you who have never screwed up, hurl the first insult! Most of the "unprepared" live in a constant state of denial, "Nothing will happen if I drive while I'm tired, or it's snowing like crazy, or ..." I've done a lot of stupid things in my life. Sometimes I was lucky and nothing happened, sometimes I got bit in the a$$. As a paramedic, I had the opportunity to learn a lot from other people's mistakes.

Now if he does it again next year, I'll call him an idiot too.
No, it's because I have been there, done that that I hurl the first stone. But why should he learn from others mistakes. Heaven forbid we learn by others misfortune. We all know things that have happened before never happen again!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes, I am just glad they made it home alright.
I have two toddlers and would never take them out in that kind of weather. Hopefully, this taught them!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Seeing the jeep on its roof,it surprises me that no one was hurt.good job.what also surprises me is 1,that they were alone,and 2,that he put his family in that situation,3,he maybe could not figure a way to get the jeep back on its feet.Hilift jack or winch anybody?.I have to admit,I could not upright my 8,000 lb f-350 unless it was on its side(possibly) but a little jeep?.I dont know the whole deal but, I would have tried to roll it back over and drive it till it died.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This happened not that far from me. Some of my neighbors commuted to Lovelock for work. The cold I know first hand and they have my commendation for keeping the family warm. I do not know this individual. However in this neck of the desert we have people who believe 4WD bestows God like power. They seem to feel they are immune from the laws of physics. In this area you will often see crumpled 4WD vehicles on trucks being taken to salvage yards in testament to their bravado.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.