Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but their command of the language was impressive. All the things we "preppers" endeavor to learn and master, the men who were responsible for the Declaration of Independence, the letters known as the Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers, the constitution for the united states of America as well as the Bill of Rights, knew mastered as a matter of life. Their knowledge of mathematics, language, history and science was so much greater than the average American, yet we have so much more time to gather the knowledge that should elevate our society to new cultural heights and do nothing with it but watch mindless entertainment and pursue carnal pleasure.

Our discipline is woefully lacking.

First thing, I have no masters in anything, let alone English. To argue that we have no masters in something we should have mastered before finishing the twelve years of public education is nothing more than a child's logic. As a matter of fact, a friend brought his great aunt's elementary school reader to work for me to see. The knowledge children were to have already accumulated at that level is knowledge today's high school graduates would not know. What a shame.

Language is an important part of a culture. Not only do we conduct our daily communication with our language, but we also create literary art and share philosophy through the use of language. Who do you think will be able to more efficiently share knowledge, debate ideas and build the future?

Yes, I am aware of the fact that I drive my son insane by misusing good and well. For the record, good is an adjective, while well is an adverb, I know this. This doesn't seem to stop me from sounding like an idiot from time to time, and it irks my son to no end. So, please don't get all defensive and think I am attacking anyone. I'm just trying to make a couple points.

Do you want to make a point? Use the language properly so there is no mistaking your thoughts and so that your intended audience doesn't decide it isn't worth trying to interpret improper language just to get a point being made by someone who doesn't even bother learning his own language.

What kind of "one year later" would you like to see? Losing the important parts of our culture before bad things happen will not make rebuilding any easier.

The men who wrote the founding documentation of this (once) great nation used outhouses, gathered food with a rifle and knew how to raise food out of the ground. We have no excuse. We shouldn't neglect our language, but realize its cultural importance now, as well as after things go horribly wrong.

OK, I am finished. Thanks for your time. Letting the grammatically incorrect mocking begin.:D

·
Registered
921 Posts
We can only hope to continue what they started those many years ago, but if we don't understand the language, how can we?
Supposedly learned people in the present time don't have the language skills of grade school children of not so long ago.
We are definitely losing our language.

BTW: My pet bugaboo is bring and take.

Reactions: Denton

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Dern good post. ;)

Short story on communication.

My first exposure to Texas was when I moved here in 1984 from Colorado. I had a fairly large staff and and even larger set of employees that I needed to get to know. One of my new supervisors came to me and needed to take a few hours off. No big deal. But the way me said it had me confused. He said - I'm fixin to carry my trick to the shop and need a few hours. So he was a lineman at UT, HUGE and really sharp... And I'm thinking, he's what? Going to "carry" his truck? My "secretary" (back then they weren't admins and actually typed my memos) almost fell out of her chair laughing at my reaction.

After that, living in England and other part of the world was easy. But I aways came back to Texas.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's eat grandma.

Let's eat, grandma.

Commas save lives.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
we always come back to texas. I laugh at myself at how very redneck I am. even though they have dressed me up nicely for los angeles, im very texas in my talk and walk. startling here, but just a girl next door there :) god bless texas.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Their is no reason for this thread!! You need to relax! hehe ;)

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Their is no reason for this thread!! You need to relax! hehe ;)
I am very relaxed. As a matter of fact, I agree; there is no reason for this thread. I don't think the notion is a widely held one.

Maybe enough books will survive.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hoo boy. Look. Let me just apologize and well let it go at that mmmK? Can we? Cause one of the things( along with mathscienceand history) I could never get my head around in school was the English language. I'm 48 and I think I finally got a handle on there their and they're....................... most of the time.
I still have no idea what these things :; are for other than to make smilies and winky guy faces.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hoo boy. Look. Let me just apologize and well let it go at that mmmK? Can we? Cause one of the things( along with mathscienceand history) I could never get my head around in school was the English language. I'm 48 and I think I finally got a handle on there their and they're....................... most of the time.
I still have no idea what these things :; are for other than to make smilies and winky guy faces.
It was only a matter of time before the heckler would find this thread. :razz:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I am very relaxed. As a matter of fact, I agree; there is no reason for this thread. I don't think the notion is a widely held one.

Maybe enough books will survive.
Please know my THEIR was a joke!! lol Good lord!

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Colons are used to extend a sentence. For example-I'm happy with my only character flaw: I care too much. (Or smart-assed humor)

Semi-colons are usually used for lists. For example-Denton, the originator of this thread; Mish, the comedian; and Arizona Infidel, the student.

Just trying to help where I can.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The question is, is the medium the message. A well spelled and punctuated demand to turn my weapons over to the government would be met with my refusal. This refusal might be grammatically incorrect. It may contain language I would not normally use. In my haste if writing I might misspell a word, but which is the message more in keeping with the ideals of our founding fathers? Do not please take this as dismissive of your message I would wholeheartedly endorse a return to the increased level of education bestowed upon our children.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts