Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have watched the Walking Dead and are a fan, I want to know if you have learned anything from it that has helped in your prepping or opened your eyes to prepping short comings? And also what improvements you would have done differently once established at the prison?

I have learned that it is a good idea to have a skilled scavenger like Glenn around and an awesome tracker like Daryl. So I guess that would fall under human assets and the need to choose team members that have skills you need.

I like the garden idea, but having the water source so far removed from their storage area put them at risk of attack and kidnapping. Remember we have no clue where the Governor went he is out there somewhere just waiting to kill them all off lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The thing that pisses me off about The Walking Dead is they seem so clueless about creating a distraction.

The zombies go toward noise, so why not rig up a big explosion or a bunch of car horns on a remote that will draw them away from your location?

OMG they are attacking the fence......BOOM BOOM BOOM HONK HONK in the distance and they wander toward the sound.

I just imagine the zombies would have the ability to distinguish sound and proximity so the show remains entertaining, but a idiot could figure this out.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Our family has enjoyed the show, by renting the seasons on DVD. So we have seen all start to finish that is currently available.

Frankly, the show has no learnable moments, it is so silly.

One thing that kills me in TV and in the movies is the constant racking of fire arms for no reason, I can not believe that persons would be running around with there fire arms unloaded, and a scene where one person has the fire arm (Chick Chick) no cartridge ejected, a tussle ensues, the other individual has it now, (chick Chick) no cartridge is ejected,

I want to scream at that stupid shit, it is every movie and every TV show now.

The entire group of us sit while watching the movie what eve it is and say

Chick Chick

Chick Chick

Chick Chick

every time an idiot in the scene does this.

My daughter stopped on an old western movie while switching channels, the guy in the movie was seen loading a lever action, cocks it once, aims (holding the gun to his shoulder while looking through the sights) fires and kills a guy with one shot. This would not be allowed in a movie today.

All in all the entire walking dead series is unrealistic in all senses and should not be looked at as a learning tool.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I agree, from a marksmanship standpoint it is unrealistic,

Shooting everything in the head from 20-30 yards is not realistic, in season 2 they were doing them from moving cars which is basically impossible.

I like season 3 as they seemed to go more to ground and use axes and swords which makes so much more sense, but then the SHTF they go back to guns which draws more of them to the area (see my first post)

I have to admit I will watch the current season when it comes out on Netflix, I applaud them killing off people in the group on a regular basis which does lend credibility to the show.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I so do love that show for it's entertainment value (I have a zombie "problem" -- lots of movies, lots of books, I love it) but not really anything for learning moments.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is my thought on those that say it is completely unrealistic and cant learn anything from it....

Movies and tv shows are entertainment. They depend on the viewer suspending disbelief in order to be entertained. It is not as if people are sitting there with a pen and a notebook taking notes. I am sure people do not sit there and analyze Star Wars, The African Queen, or The Lord of the Rings.

I simply made the post to get people that are fans of the show to talk about it. This was purely for entertainment.

As for realism. It is a frigging zombie movie..... albeit one that never ends.

I enjoy the show for the drama. If I was to nit pick movies and tv shows apart, I would stop watching. It is all about willful suspension of disbelief. Otherwise lock yourselves in a cave and dont read or watch anything.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I like the Walking Dead, I think it's a great graphical novel (*ahem* comic book) and the tv series is pretty well done too. You avoid a lot of realism in a tv show on purpose, because you need to create drama and boat loads of antagonism or it just wouldn't be worth watching every week. You outright have to forget some of the obvious, and sometimes you have to let things slide. That's why it's an excellent source of entertainment.

That aside there's still a few things I think you can watch it for on the educational side, and one of the biggest is definitely not how to survive zombies. It's how to survive people in a long term emergency or without rule of law scenario.

Shane seemed to garner a lot of fans. I'm not sure if that's due to machismo or just bad boy worshipping, but one thing for sure is I'd be very careful around a Shane. For exactly the reasons you see in the Walking Dead.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
Here is my thought on those that say it is completely unrealistic and cant learn anything from it....

Movies and tv shows are entertainment. They depend on the viewer suspending disbelief in order to be entertained. It is not as if people are sitting there with a pen and a notebook taking notes. I am sure people do not sit there and analyze Star Wars, The African Queen, or The Lord of the Rings.

I simply made the post to get people that are fans of the show to talk about it. This was purely for entertainment.

As for realism. It is a frigging zombie movie..... albeit one that never ends.

I enjoy the show for the drama. If I was to nit pick movies and tv shows apart, I would stop watching. It is all about willful suspension of disbelief. Otherwise lock yourselves in a cave and dont read or watch anything.
Yes, we understand what it is, but you asked a board of prepper-minded people what lessons we learned from watching what you just described. What did you expect?

The show is good for what it is - entertainment. Not good for anything else. You are in bad shape if you learn lessons from it. So, don't get mad and tell folks to lock themselves in a cave just because they know the difference between lessons and training, and some show put together for entertainment by people who haven't a clue about the general topic. From tactics and training to interpersonal communication and relationships, the show is not a place to get training.

Sorry, you asked a question and, in the next post, explained why it was a bad one.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
That Rick has no idea how to hold a pistol. That M16's and AR15's NEVER jam or fail to fire. And that apparently when you're a zombie, your skull becomes amazingly soft kinda' like a pumpkin.

Actually really like the show, never miss it - very good entertainment. ;-)
Thin sheet metal stops rifle rounds, while cars will operate all day long without a fill-up.

·
Mod Squad
2,262 Posts
Here are the top 10 things I have learned from watching The Walking Dead...

1... Stock plenty of condoms. Babies are loud and require special food. They should be avoided.

2... Spears are better than firearms in some tactical situations, like when your enemies bunch up with their faces pressed against a fence. Are you listening SOG?

3... Always look behind you and have an exit strategy.

4... There is strength in numbers. Unless they start turning into zombies, which really sucks.

5... Smelling bad isn't always a negative thing.

6... You don't have to outrun the enemy as long as you can outrun the rest of your group.

7... Calling yourself "Governor" grants you access to the hottest chicks.

8... If you crawl into a tank and lock the hatches, nothing can get you. (I already knew this, but still)

9... You need to kill every zombie you see so they can't reproduce.

10... The most important prep is a spiffy hat.

·
Registered
468 Posts
No brainer but the show hasn't figured it out. Never kill what you will eat with the same cross bow bolt that killed a zombie.
Truth.

Actually, what I learned was that crossbows are a great weapon after all. Before the show I never really considered one for a shtf situation, but silence IS key.

I have a side question: If everyone is already infected with the zombie virus (but it takes death to activate it), why are they so worried about getting bit? Like why does that seal your fate?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Truth.

Actually, what I learned was that crossbows are a great weapon after all. Before the show I never really considered one for a shtf situation, but silence IS key.

I have a side question: If everyone is already infected with the zombie virus (but it takes death to activate it), why are they so worried about getting bit? Like why does that seal your fate?
I thought the same thing. But the bite could lead to another kind of infection and cause death. Plus it's pretty painful to live with bites all over your body.

What I learned is that everyone eventually dies. So just because you start off with a group of your friends, doesn't mean that you'll always have them around. So I'll try to meet up with friends months after something happens. That way, whoever died, had already died, and whoever is still alive, is still alive. I'll just wonder what happened to so and so. Rather than KNOW someone died.

I hate death. I'd do away with it if I could :(

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Truth.

They're infected with a dormant virus. It's activated by death or by coming in to contact with the Zombies active virus (which simultaneously kills you).

It ain't a perfect science.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, we understand what it is, but you asked a board of prepper-minded people what lessons we learned from watching what you just described. What did you expect?

The show is good for what it is - entertainment. Not good for anything else. You are in bad shape if you learn lessons from it. So, don't get mad and tell folks to lock themselves in a cave just because they know the difference between lessons and training, and some show put together for entertainment by people who haven't a clue about the general topic. From tactics and training to interpersonal communication and relationships, the show is not a place to get training.

Sorry, you asked a question and, in the next post, explained why it was a bad one.
I also posted under a forum heading of ufos zombies and the like so I really do not understand the animosity on these forums. I asked a question about where people shop and I was berated for it. I post a question about a zombie show and got smacked with arrogant and condescending comments. I am really suprised.

To the others that didnt get offended .... i thank you.

·
Registered
24,528 Posts
I also posted under a forum heading of ufos zombies and the like so I really do not understand the animosity on these forums. I asked a question about where people shop and I was berated for it. I post a question about a zombie show and got smacked with arrogant and condescending comments. I am really suprised.

To the others that didnt get offended .... i thank you.
You are getting a little thin-skinned.
There is no arrogance and I don't think anyone is trying to be condescending. Seriously. I am sorry you took anything that way. Hollywood is a lousy place for lessons, is all, tactics are best learned in the military or by people who have been trained in those skills, and you will learn all you need to know about personalities in groups by being in group situations. You don't have to have lived for years in some barracks, but just observed people in office situations. You'll see the wannabe leaders, the true leaders, the slackers, those who set about getting jobs done and the trouble-makers who will need to be handled.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts