Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barring that term "assault rifle" you know what I mean. In this case I'm speaking of an AR-15 or AR-10
LOOK GIVEAWAY!!!! CNC Milling for 80% lower near Modesto Ca. - Calguns.net

I don't know if you have to register to read that forum or not - hope not - if you aren't in CA registering there
is probably worthless. If you are in CA I recommend this forum for your gun info. Including more info on what
I am about to post - an unregistered gun topic.

Even in the lovely anti gun state of California you can buy an 80% lower like a paper weight. There is no
serial number, no registration, nothing required - its just a paper weight - until its milled out to be an effective
lower receiver. And per FEDERAL and even STATE law (yes CA) its not illegal to mill that out - YOURSELF
for your personal use. The only impact is - you can't sell it. I don't even know how you go about leaving
it too your kids as an inheritance - I'd suggest burrying it - passing them the coordinates. Isn't that geo
cashing thing grand?

I know for CA we won't have this option for long - you guys in free states I can see the FEDS coming
down on this skirting of the law pretty quick. Also for you entrepenureal types - IDK what a milling
maching costs but this guy has over a 100 happy customers in 2 months - that's at $80 a lower.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Also for you entrepenureal types - IDK what a milling
maching costs but this guy has over a 100 happy customers in 2 months - that's at $80 a lower.
Computerized Numerical Control milling machines probably start at 30K and go up from there... way up. You could probably find a decent used one for less, and there are cheaper "hobbyist" machines out there. I doubt the lighter hobbyist machines would be rigid enough to do the job right though.

There are a lot of American machine shops that are hurting for work though. That guy should consider selling his machining program or the receiver blueprints (which are neither blue nor printed these days).

·
Administrator
14,872 Posts
There are kits where, using flat sheet steel for the reciever which you bend and weld yourself, you can make your own AK.
And if you build your own firearm for your own use I do not believe they have to be serial numbered.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is correct. Unless you intend to resell it its legal. If you intend to resell it then you have issues and I don't think you can in anyway.

There are kits where, using flat sheet steel for the reciever which you bend and weld yourself, you can make your own AK.
And if you build your own firearm for your own use I do not believe they have to be serial numbered.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You cannot transfer any gun without a serial number. You can build, own and use the gun as long as it is never transported out of state.
It costs $200 I believe to put a serial number on it but you may have to also get a license - which is a lot more costly.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Leave the coordinates to a Texas bus ticket to your kids. They would love it. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey rpd remember the guy, on another forum we used to frequent more often, that bent all of his own AK receivers from scratch? He's still around - we email communicate from time to time and he is still traveling around teaching people how to do it. I was close to flying him down here one time to teach me - but life got in the way and business was too busy for me at the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts