Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
I spoke to Back Pack Hack via PM, and he is to be commended for this potentially life saving (maybe even society saving) resource. I'm interested in getting a digital copy. My hope is that Back Back Hack might eventually get a zipped file (or two) of the entire library onto a Google (or share) drive. That way people could simply download one file (which could take a couple minutes).

I've followed the advice ITT and am currently copying the website (using HHTrack), BUT at it's current DL/copy speed, it will be 3 weeks before it mirrors the website... I've been at it 19 hours, and I'm still on "A" alphabetically... I am normally patient, but with how things are going, I have no idea if we'll even have an internet in 3 weeks... I'd like to get this library sooner.

At the current sizing of the library (35+gb), a normal free 15gb google drive account can't tackle this. Does anyone have this library and a google drive with enough space that would be willing to share this with me and others digitally (even if only hosting it a short time)?

Thanks,
Trihonda!
It's much easier to have it on a thumb drive. The mail only takes a few days.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yikes! I'm going to say something that might get me in a bit of out water but here it comes. Great resource is available to you at no charge and you have to expend some effort to download it. The "mail takes only a few days" smells of the "have someone else do all the work and send it to me" attitude. Why? Because it doesn't get on the thumbdrive on its own. It doesn't pack itself in a bubble envelope on it's own.
Hell, the thumbdrive hasn't bought itself and delivered itself to someone's house to get downloaded on it's own either. And then it didn't drive itself to the post office on its own.

Yes it takes some time to download. The original instructions left me feel lacking to I figured out a resource that worked a bit better, was more hands off after you started it and posted how I did it. Believe me, after you work for something, you appreciate it more then if it's a free handout....

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Yikes! I'm going to say something that might get me in a bit of out water but here it comes. Great resource is available to you at no charge and you have to expend some effort to download it. The "mail takes only a few days" smells of the "have someone else do all the work and send it to me" attitude. Why? Because it doesn't get on the thumbdrive on its own. It doesn't pack itself in a bubble envelope on it's own.
Hell, the thumbdrive hasn't bought itself and delivered itself to someone's house to get downloaded on it's own either. And then it didn't drive itself to the post office on its own.

Yes it takes some time to download. The original instructions left me feel lacking to I figured out a resource that worked a bit better, was more hands off after you started it and posted how I did it. Believe me, after you work for something, you appreciate it more then if it's a free handout....
Some of us don't have the time and someone else has taken the time to do the research, compile it into a library and offer it at a reasonable price.

The same can be said about furniture. You can make your own at a small fraction of retail. Computers can also be built at a much smaller cost. The cost of components is all your out. It does take time though to make them into something useful.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't believe it took me that long to download the whole library so part of the issue might be the speed of your internet and your machine.
If it's a laptop make sure that it doesn't of to some sort of power saving/optimization because that will definitely slow down your download.
I have lightening fast internet. Just upgraded to 400mbps service, but we routinely get much higher, even through wifi (just tested my phone and got 433mbps. However, I'm using our main desktop, and internet speeds are even faster there. Is there some other trick that I'm missing? I even went onto youtube for a HHTrack tutorial...

As to the speed of downloading a 35gb zip file, I imagine it will certainly take a number of minutes. I often download very large program zips from several patreon subscriptions via google drive. Never takes more than a few minutes. and I know these files are always multiple gigibites in size. Yes, 35gb might take a little extra, but not hours/days/weeks... EDIT: I did an online calculation and it would likely take a couple hours for 35gb. Sorry..

Honestly, I am a bit concerned. I'd just go with BPHs individual file download instructions, though it would take a while, but it'll be my birthday in a couple hours, and my wife has plans for me and the kids all day tomorrow. Then I'm off on a mandatory work trip for 4 days, and will not have time to spend hours at the computer transferring individual folders. I'm already freaking out about leaving the family for the better part of a week given what is going on, but I know my local peeps have my family's back. A resource library was one of my last preps needed...

Also edited to add, that I'm not opposed to buying a USB drive (with the library) and having it shipped for like $10-20. I even offered BPH to sponsor a year of google drive storage fees so he could host it for all.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is there anyone interested/willing to copy their complete library onto a flash drive and sell it to me? Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is there anyone interested/willing to copy their complete library onto a flash drive and sell it to me? Thanks.
Well, I've been at this website copying thing for a while now... I left for a 5 day trip, and left my PC on while the HTTracker kept working. Unfortunately my computer must have rebooted at some point (or the host site blipped), and the program stopped... At least the program does have a feature where it will start back up where it left off if a copy job is interrupted. So I'm back at it without starting over. Currently at 9gb of 35gb... Slow and steady.

Still open to helping sponsor the posting of this to a google drive available for upload. :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

Have you heard of "Time is Money"? What value do you put on your time? Many people do not have the time to invest so they outsource.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

Consider how much time it took me to collect all that information. Then organize it by topic. And wade through it finding duplicates. Hell, I probably spent 100 hours just finding all the different firearm manufacturer's websites and raiding their Support page for instruction manuals.

Jez' sayin'.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have you heard of "Time is Money"? What value do you put on your time? Many people do not have the time to invest so they outsource.
Consider how much time it took me to collect all that information. Then organize it by topic. And wade through it finding duplicates. Hell, I probably spent 100 hours just finding all the different firearm manufacturer's websites and raiding their Support page for instruction manuals.

Jez' sayin'.
I agree. I can't say enough thanks to you two for taking the time to craft such invaluable resources. Should the SHTF, and we are thrust into a crazy world, libraries like these might mean the difference between survival (or not). I plan to keep a small laptop with these databases loaded on them, as well as several copies of them on flash drives in various places and members of our group. I can use solar power to keep the laptops up and running. EMP hasn't been much on my radar, but I'm even considering crafting a small faraday enclosure to fit my solar generator and a couple folding panels (along with all my comms and other small electronics gear).

·
Registered
229 Posts

Jez' sayin'.
Oh I agree! That's why the "it takes so long to download it" where all you do is point a tool to grab the files kinda makes me scratch my head......

Many thanks again for all the work!

·
Registered
229 Posts
So how about the person having problems downloading reach out to the author and offer $ for a USB drive with everything on it? Because if anyone is to profit on this, it should be the author....

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
So how about the person having problems downloading reach out to the author and offer $ for a USB drive with everything on it? Because if anyone is to profit on this, it should be the author....
Get bent. You another one of those liberal commies. Always something to bitch about.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Get bent. You another one of those liberal commies. Always something to bitch about.
ROTFLMAO - let's see.... I wasnt the one bitching about it being too hard to get the files, I wasnt the one asking for others to do my work for them and I suggested that the person should reach out to the one who did all the work and offer $ to get a USB drive shipped to them with the files.... kinda hard to see where you got liberal commie out of all that.... might I suggest investing in some education before you throw insults that you do not understand? 🙂

·
Registered
241 Posts
ROTFLMAO - let's see.... I wasnt the one bitching about it being too hard to get the files, I wasnt the one asking for others to do my work for them and I suggested that the person should reach out to the one who did all the work and offer $ to get a USB drive shipped to them with the files.... kinda hard to see where you got liberal commie out of all that.... might I suggest investing in some education before you throw insults that you do not understand? ��
Well, I was the one commenting about how long it was taking to DL the files.

However, the other stuff you mentioned couldn't be referring to me? Right? I never asked anyone to do my work for me.. And I did reach out via several PMs to offer to pay said person for a flash drive, AND I even offered to sponsor a year of Google Drive storage space to park these files for all the enjoy?

Hmmm.....

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Well, I was the one commenting about how long it was taking to DL the files.

However, the other stuff you mentioned couldn't be referring to me? Right? I never asked anyone to do my work for me.. And I did reach out via several PMs to offer to pay said person for a flash drive, AND I even offered to sponsor a year of Google Drive storage space to park these files for all the enjoy?

Hmmm.....
They're already online for all to enjoy. I doubt putting them on Google Drive would make them any quicker to download.

·
Registered
241 Posts
They're already online for all to enjoy. I doubt putting them on Google Drive would make them any quicker to download.
I am very appreciative of all your hard work in putting this together. You are to be commended for making this valuable resource available to the community.

But I respectfully disagree with your point... seeing as there are like 200-500 file folders that need to be individually created, then clicked on and saved using the JDownloader program, I must respectfully disagree that clicking on a couple larger zipped files is nearly as time consuming. :)

That all said, you've declined to do the google drive thing, and we all should respect that decision. I certainly respect your decision. It's your work, and your effort to put it onto a google drive). I didn't expect it, I just suggested it as an idea. It's all good.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Have you actually tested your connection speed? There's plenty of sites that will do that for you for free. It could be your provider either isn't being truthful in their claims about the speed available to you, or they're throttling you after you reach a certain usage point.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts