Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have been trying to find the best breed of chicken for prepping.
One breed that can do it all.
I want a breed that meets these criteria.
Large size not a bantam.
Goes broody and can raise chicks reliably.
Produces a fair amount of meat on it's carcass.
Lays eggs at decent rate.
Is cold hardy.
So far based off my personal experience I haven't found quite found it.
The only breed that has gone broody for me is the Silkie and I have had 1 barred rock go broody.
We have bought various large fowl chicken breeds over the years that reportedly go broody often Buff Orpington, Cochin and Sussex.
They never went broody.
So far the Silkie is the best broody but they are small, not much meat and the eggs are smaller.

·
Registered
21,168 Posts
I was only looking for layers when I built our coop last year so I went with Golden Comets (4) and Red Sex Links (2). We're getting 6 eggs a day and the girls are almost 1 year old.

I'd like to build another coop next to my current one then get a rooster and add a couple of different breeds...maybe start a mini hatchery but with the price of building materials I may wait.

Excellent idea for a thread!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have 3 Rhode Island Reds. They lay almost every day, but 1 egg is paper shell thin. They also are the bullies of the pen. I also have a Marans that lays once in a while. 1 Leghorn that lays every day but is skinny. The last is a solid grey that I dont know the breed. Lays 2-3 per week, and is big for a hen.

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
For massive egg production get some ISA browns. Cold hardy and well over 300 to 350 eggs a year for a few years.

No winter food handouts in my coop. Lay eggs or to the stew pot you go so I run a light in the winter months to equal at least 14 hours of light a day. I run them hard for 2 or 3 seasons and then fetch another batch of Isa's.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I’ll have to ask my wife what we have. I think it’s a mixture but mostly RI Reds. With that said, she just came home with 2 boxes of chickens and informed me one is a rooster. We already have 2 coops.

·
Administrator
15,004 Posts
We have had many breeds over the years.
Right now we have Barred Rocks, Delawares and Aracaunas.
We don't worry about cold hardiness, we live in Florida.
Our chicken breeds are chosen for egg production, not meat.

Also, we do not really need nor want broody hens, wife has a complete incubation set up and we can hatch our own if she wants to.
Murray McMurray hatchery has been our go-to for almost 30 years. www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
For years I have been trying to find the best breed of chicken for prepping.
One breed that can do it all.
I want a breed that meets these criteria.
Large size not a bantam.
Goes broody and can raise chicks reliably.
Produces a fair amount of meat on it's carcass.
Lays eggs at decent rate.
Is cold hardy.
So far based off my personal experience I haven't found quite found it.
The only breed that has gone broody for me is the Silkie and I have had 1 barred rock go broody.
We have bought various large fowl chicken breeds over the years that reportedly go broody often Buff Orpington, Cochin and Sussex.
They never went broody.
So far the Silkie is the best broody but they are small, not much meat and the eggs are smaller.
You need ducks young man. Chickens are for fun.

·
Administrator
15,004 Posts
Duck crap is just waaay too messy.
Besides, chicken poop, charcoal, and sulfur makes excellent black powder.
A flintlock rifle, chicken crap black powder, and some river stones and you’ll still be shooting long after the AR’s have worn out and there’s no more ammo to be had at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Duck crap is just waaay too messy.
Besides, chicken poop, charcoal, and sulfur makes excellent black powder.
A flintlock rifle, chicken crap black powder, and some river stones and you’ll still be shooting long after the AR’s have worn out and there’s no more ammo to be had at all.
Yeah man true doomsday prepper style!
I don't think everyone understands I want a breed that goes broody so when the power goes out and the incubator don't work I can still get more chicks.

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
We have buff Orpingtons right now 2 of them. They don't go broody though.
Buffs are known for being broody. Yours must be broken.
I devised method that I call the broody buster to bust the broody from buffs who went broody every year some went broody twice in one season.

That said not every buff yard bird will be a broody hen but many are.

Sounds like you have two egg machines instead of two chick makers.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Yeah man true doomsday prepper style!
I don't think everyone understands I want a breed that goes broody so when the power goes out and the incubator don't work I can still get more chicks.
Ducks have your name on em. They will eat anything. Last duck we had would fight a person over a smoked spare rib. Now you only need one boy duck per seven lady ducks or they will breed em too death. They are horny bastids sorta like a guy we know on here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We just recently had 2 Cochins and a Amerucana hen go broody.
They are 1 year old.
I guess I just needed to be more patient.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If have 8different types of chickens , buff orpington, rhode island reds , gold sex links, Easter eggers, crested , white Orpingtons, Plymouth Rock barred ,and production reds. By far the most broody is the buff Orpington I have one that has all of her feathers plucked out from the back of her head because she just sits on the eggs hers or not and the others get impatient and attack her . She would be good size for eating and lays eggs every day. Next best brooder is Easter eggers they lay almost every day are smaller so less meat . Best layers are the production reds and gold sex links . Most meat is white orpingtons , but they have almost killed two of my birds. All in all I would go with buff Orpington as being best all around . Rhode Island Reds suck in my experience moody birds don’t lay often very aggressive they will brood on others eggs and chase off others trying to lay (while never laying themselves ) I constantly have to go out and remove them from nest boxes . Can’t wait to eat them lol . Crested is terrible lol she’s small lays maybe Twice a week and doesn’t brood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts