Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
What exactly is a 4th Tier operation group? Delta is as high as they go, and who is that Alpha group? The one that he claims is above Delta, in capability.

And the rifle is an absurdity, it looks like it would snag every branch and vine in the woods.

Reactions: SOCOM42

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ultimate Fighting Rifle = That new artillery piece that delivers a shell at 43 miles away, or a nuke. :vs_love:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've thought for years there is an under served market for picatinny accessories such as:

An MP3 player, for varmint calling or just playing your favorite recording of "Ride of the Valkyries".

A sheath for your "That's not a knife, this is a knife" knife.

Compass

Thermometer/Barometer (digital of course)

Wind gauge (Also digital)

GPS

Cell phone holder

and many more I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
I would consider the "ultimate rifle" not to be complicated or even on the tubby side. I would define such a rifle as simple to repair or clean, light in weight for continuous hunting, and easy to modify if that repair cannot be done with the tools in your pocket.

I live in the lower portion of the State of Wisconsin. We do a lot of hunting and fishing here, in fact, two large lakes create the isthmus for our state government. Even with all the advances I've seen, there are a lot of bolt action rifles around.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I would consider the "ultimate rifle" not to be complicated or even on the tubby side. I would define such a rifle as simple to repair or clean, light in weight for continuous hunting, and easy to modify if that repair cannot be done with the tools in your pocket.

I live in the lower portion of the State of Wisconsin. We do a lot of hunting and fishing here, in fact, two large lakes create the isthmus for our state government. Even with all the advances I've seen, there are a lot of bolt action rifles around.
Hunt in Wisconsin is generally not a self defense function. Many of the rifles are as old or older than the person carrying them. Anyone walking in WIS snow hunting will shed as much weight as they can. Only time a bot action is a fight rile is when it is all you have, the target is a long ways away , your in a safe over watch. In today's world many semi auto will shoot side by side with many bolt guns at distance most will be shooting.
Good to see you back around.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Hunt in Wisconsin is generally not a self defense function...Good to see you back around.
Good to be here. Smitty, I am touched that you were one of the first ones to welcome me "home."

As for Wisconsin, yikes, I have seen many things! You can go up on Bascom Hill and see real-deal hippies still wandering around. Then autumn hits, and you can see the same hippie in a tree stand. Oh, they might be peaceniks, but experience has shown me that deer hunting in Wisconsin brings everyone together. For example, let's suppose it's mid-day, you open your rifle and realize the magazine is empty. That, and you are twenty miles away from any hardware store. Suddenly, you hear a tree-stand wobble and a rifle round that fits your long-gun bonks you on the head. Welcome to Dairyland!

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
The ultimate fighting rifle is the one you have in your hands when it's time to fight. Bolt action, Semi Auto, shotgun. When is the time to fight? You will know.

Reactions: SOCOM42

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Hunt in Wisconsin is generally not a self defense function. Many of the rifles are as old or older than the person carrying them. Anyone walking in WIS snow hunting will shed as much weight as they can. Only time a bot action is a fight rile is when it is all you have, the target is a long ways away , your in a safe over watch. In today's world many semi auto will shoot side by side with many bolt guns at distance most will be shooting.
Good to see you back around.
As I have said before, here your lucky to get a 300 yard shot.

We are mostly dense forest all over most of the state, patches of open fields are crop lands.

With this limited range, the 30/06 and 7.62 NATO will do the job quite well.

I have an M-25 sniper and a custom bolt gun as the lead sniper guns and 3, 30/06 military issue snipers.

I also have and to me it is an Alamo gun, a pre 64 model 70 in 300 Winmag.

I cannot take the beating from it anymore, screwed up shoulder, it will be a last stand gun.

I could use it to shoot across the lake though, if needed.

Now @Smitty901 has open range around his place, best to keep them at a distance, ideally never having to use any 5.56.

I think he is well capable of doing that, make the assaulting bastard pay dearly!

Here, at this location, I have to think in terms of volume of suppressive fire and penetration capabilities.

I have that covered with crew served weapons and ammunition types.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
The ultimate fighting rifle is the one you have in your hands when it's time to fight. Bolt action, Semi Auto, shotgun. When is the time to fight? You will know.
The term, "when the balloon goes up you go with what you got" applies even today.

I carry rifles in both jeeps now and have for over 6 months,

M1A1 Carbines with 300 round per gun.

The handguns are to get me/us back to the Jeeps!

If, like in the past, something has made me go outside to check,

I go out with an FNFAL or an AK and a spare mag in my back pocket.

And with the keys to outside weapons rooms.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
As I have said before, here your lucky to get a 300 yard shot.

We are mostly dense forest all over most of the state, patches of open fields are crop lands.

With this limited range, the 30/06 and 7.62 NATO will do the job quite well.

I have an M-25 sniper and a custom bolt gun as the lead sniper guns and 3, 30/06 military issue snipers.

I also have and to me it is an Alamo gun, a pre 64 model 70 in 300 Winmag.

I cannot take the beating from it anymore, screwed up shoulder, it will be a last stand gun.

I could use it to shoot across the lake though, if needed.

Now @Smitty901 has open range around his place, best to keep them at a distance, ideally never having to use any 5.56.

I think he is well capable of doing that, make the assaulting bastard pay dearly!

Here, at this location, I have to think in terms of volume of suppressive fire and penetration capabilities.

I have that covered with crew served weapons and ammunition types.
Agreed. Depends on the lay of the land. I am in an urban area for now, thus, nothing more then a couple of hundred yards, mostly street fighting and close in. I will be reaching for my go to AR 5.56 first. I have 308, 30-06 and 227 for longer distances but these will be more my Alamo guns. Should they decide to die on my hill, it is my intention to make as many of them die as possible.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts