Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm keeping my opinion to myself and I want to hear other people's opinions on this unique firearm. Viable self defense weapon, snake charmer, or snake oil?

Revolver Trigger Air gun Finger Everyday carry

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Personally, it seems like a solution in search of a problem. In other words I am not sure what I would use it for. I can think of a dozen other handguns I would rather spend the money on.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Its a cool concept but I would rather have My Glock 21 with 13 rounds of REAL .45 JHP ammo rather and your 5 shot with substandard .45 colt ammo. Yes it has .410 capability but in most instances it will be about a .45 or a expensive substitute for pepper spray.

I agree with Inor, it is a fun concept and probably good for civilian use but not a good choice for TEOTWAWKI

Reactions: BamaBoy101

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Meangreen the 45/410 was around before the Judge it was a novelty gun then it is now. Taurus picked it up and they kind of sat there. Then like many things they got a boast some started carrying them as big boy gun. And a new life came into the market.
They are neither a good Colt 45 long or a good 410. To bulky .
Snake oil but so are a lot of even great guns they really serve no use other than to have one and to say look what can be done.
My beautiful Ruger 45 Colt long is like that outstanding fire arm well made But come on it is a hand held single action canon.
About a 1.00 to 1.50 every time I pull the trigger
Real world what are you going to do with it. I would not have it but I bought it under 50% of the new price brand new in the box long story.
Take a look at the S&W version of the 45/410
There is nothing wrong with novelty guns as long as you know what and why you are buying it.

Reactions: BamaBoy101

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
My favorite handgun caliber is 45 Colt. I have three single action revolvers so chambered, but I would not use them for self defense unless that was all that was at hand. The .410 shotgun is a handy farm impliment to keep around for varmint/rattlesnake control. I have three of those as well, but I do not consider any shotgun less than 20 gauge viable for self defense or even hunting.

Exception to the 45 Colt self defense statement I made above - each night when i go to bed I place on my nightstand a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt loaded with Corbon +P 200 grain JHP's, aka The Flying Ashtray. The dogs will warn me of anything wrong in enough time to grab the 20 ga double barrel leaning in the far corner anyway.

In my own opinion the Taurus Judge and the S&W Governor are gimmick guns.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have the Smith version "The Governor". I keep it in my vehicle but it's more for my car pool buddy riding with me. If some kind of SHTF
during the drive he can reach into the glovebox and use it. My friend doesn't carry anything so using my Governor I don't have to worry about him dropping
a mag or racking a slide just point and shoot if it ever became necessary. I have 4 .410 PDX rounds and 2 .45ACP to complete the rounds. Nice back-up weapon
and vehicle weapon. As for me I usually carry a G21 and or a G30 .45ACP or G26 sometimes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm keeping my opinion to myself and I want to hear other people's opinions on this unique firearm. Viable self defense weapon, snake charmer, or snake oil?

View attachment 3690
I have fired one, I don't like them. Shotgun / pistol and does neither very well in my opinion. I guess for a close range defensive weapon some might be happy with it. But the hype seams to be more about the oddity.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
kinda looks like a collectors item, outside that don't see the point....

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I think it's a little bit of all three. As a lover of 45 Colt, I find it a little offensive regarding the interchange. 45 Colt is meant for a gun meant for 45 Colt, and 45 Colt alone. I am not a fan of 410 at all. I find it overpriced and relatively ineffective. Does it have a cool factor? Sort of. But for me, no more than a Desert Eagle .50 AE in Titanium Gold. It's a "Why? Why not?" kind of gun.

·
Registered
560 Posts
BTW, this is worse........she is shite

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

Reactions: bigdogbuc

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
BTW, this is worse........she is shite

View attachment 3692
I would have fired whoever shit this turd. It is an abomination. I mean, if you're going to steal from history, let's at least try to copy it with a little class and style.

Reactions: BamaBoy101 and Inor

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I would have fired whoever shit this turd. It is an abomination. I mean, if you're going to steal from history, let's at least try to copy it with a little class and style.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well as they say, you can polish a turd all day and at the end of the day you'll have shit all over you and a shiny turd…
:lol:

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
I had a Judge. Very nice weapon.
The .45 Colt is a blast to launch, and it is a good chunk of lead with which to ring someone's bell.

As far as using .410 shell, try the PDX-1 by Winchester. It is loaded with copper buck shot and three disks. The disks keep a tight pattern, and the shot spreads out (as all shot does with the Judge). Good ammo to smoke off someone who is giving you heartburn.

I said I used to have a Judge. I got married. After going to the range with some handguns, the bride decided she wanted the judge more than I did. Who am I to argue with a woman who can cook as well as she does and can handle a sidearm just as well?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I had a Judge. Very nice weapon.
The .45 Colt is a blast to launch, and it is a good chunk of lead with which to ring someone's bell.

As far as using .410 shell, try the PDX-1 by Winchester. It is loaded with copper buck shot and three disks. The disks keep a tight pattern, and the shot spreads out (as all shot does with the Judge). Good ammo to smoke off someone who is giving you heartburn.

I said I used to have a Judge. I got married. After going to the range with some handguns, the bride decided she wanted the judge more than I did. Who am I to argue with a woman who can cook as well as she does and can handle a sidearm just as well?
Sounds like a wise decision.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Thanks.
Yeah, I like to eat.
We don't really have "my guns" and "her guns" other than our carry pistols. All of the rest are just "ours".

Mrs Inor desperately wants a Garand, so when I do finally find a really nice one at a decent price that will be "her gun". But I need to make sure it is a really top notch Garand because I plan to use that as the justification to buy a Citori for "my gun". :)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Taurus makes a popular line of revolvers. The Judge is perhaps the most interesting revolver made by Taurus. I like the 45 colt and the 410 cartridges. I have yet to develop an interest in a revolver that fires both. Even though they are popular and sell like hotcakes at a fireman's breakfast, I can see no advantage to owning one. Yet they are nice. Bottom line it's nice revolver just not my cup o' tea.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The judge is better when firing 410 slugs than it is with 45 Colt ammo.

Reactions: Meangreen
1 - 20 of 77 Posts