Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread asking why Harrington & Richardson hadn't made a Handi-Rifle in the .460 Magnum. I have a love, and perhaps it's misguided, for single shot rifles and shotguns. I think they have a valid place in the prepper community, especially if you're looking for something rugged and reliable, but don't have a lot of cash to spend.

I used my C&R License a while back to purchase a couple of very old single shot 12 gauges. One was an H&R model 1900 (made in 1908) and the other a Spencer made in 1896. Now some will say "Why would you go and do that?" Price. Between the two I paid around a hundred bucks and have two solid, functioning shotguns.

Many, many months ago, I watched a video by duelist1954 on YT (black powder editor for Guns of the Old West Magazine) that made me go "Hmm" and ultimately set me on the course to snatch up what everyone else looked over because I went "I can make that work" and pressed BUY. Kind of like foraging. I ran across "another mans trash" and put it to effective use.

What turned most people off to my guns? They have 2 1/2" chambers as opposed to our now standard 2 3/4" chambers, and, you pretty much have to load the shells yourself and use black powder.

I posted a link to the first video, there are four total, with the last one showing him shooting the shells he made, without a traditional re-loading set-up.

I think it is important to remember some of the more basic things out there when it comes to prepping, as well as maybe learn some new skills. Even if it's not something that you agree with, or maybe think you'll never use, it's nice to have that tool in the box as an option. Especially if that AR ultimately turns into nothing more useful than a boat anchor.

And some other videos that may be of interest. Though I will admit right now, Dave Canterbury sort of annoys me.

You should like Brush Hippie. He's kind of entertaining.

And finally...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What's not to love about a break open?!? Beautiful, reliable, durable simplicity at its finest! There's a satisfaction that's hard to describe in firing off a round from a big caliber gun, breaking open the barrel, the empty shell flies back over your shoulder, and a that sweet smelling plume of smoke rolls out the back of the barrel before you drop another moose masher into the chamber. It's like cracking open a beer after a hard days work! ;)

All the H&R's I've handled had lead bars in the stocks behind the butt plates. Take that puppy out and their so light you can carry them through the heaviest of woods all day long without wanting to sling it over your shoulder once. Does change the balance of the gun, but it's never been an issue to me at all.

·
Administrator
15,450 Posts
New England Firearms (H&R - NEF same same) used to make a Handi Rifle in 500 S&W. I know that's not 460, but close.
I've got Handi's in 45-70 Government and 22 Hornet. And a Rossi single in 30-06. And single shot shotguns in 12 ga (2), 20 ga and .410.
And double barrels in 12, 20, .410.
I like the old time stuff - even have some 70 year old bolt action shotguns.

And of course it goes without saying my two favorite magazines are Guns Of The Old West, and The Backwoodsman
Backwoodsman Magazine
Anyone truly interested in survival, primitive skills, old time living, should read the Backwoodsman. It's not one of those slick commercial "prepper" mags that seem to be all the rage now, it's been around for over 30 years.

Reactions: bigdogbuc

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Bigdogboc, I watched all the videos you posted, found them very interesting, thanks for posting. I often think that in the future given a WCS (worst case scenario) all guns out there will become nothing but fancy clubs UNLESS you have the ability to make everything to load them. Black power rifles and pistols fit right into to that idea.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have several handi rifles/shotguns and they will always be my favorite. I also have my very first shotgun, a single shot 12 gauge Stevens. For my H&R rifle, I have barrels in 45/70, 444, 44 magnum, and .357. As you can see I have many more bullet options with these barrels. I also have a H&R 12 gauge that I cut the barrel down to 18 inches so it makes a handy home protection weapon for me and the wife. I can't pass them up when I find one because they are usually less than $100 used and I have given many away to friends and coworkers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I learned to hunt with an H&R 20 ga. Taught me a lot about gun handling and more about one-shot kills.

Now, when I have considerably more latitude in gun choice my favorite hunting piece is still a break-open 20 ga., albeit a considerably more pricey Browning Sporter side-by-side with the first barrel an improved cylinder and the second extra-full choke. I get all kinds of crud from the manly men with their 3" mag pump guns, but I go home with supper far more often than the big shots. That second barrel often let's me double if conditions are right and that piece swings OH SO nice. The Browning currently values above $2500, which would get me a whole cabinet full of NEF stuff, but I won't trade. Sort if like exchanging a diamond wedding ring for a Cracker Jack offering.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My personal thoughts on single shot's and black powder, they make great show peices and may be fun to shoot but they really are old out dated technology. Pure wall hangers in my book. I would never spend a dime on them.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My personal thoughts on single shot's and black powder, they make great show peices and may be fun to shoot but they really are old out dated technology. Pure wall hangers in my book. I would never spend a dime on them.
I'll let you borrow one of mine in case you need it. I also have some spare batteries to back up the ones in my flashlight when they die. :p

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's the Youtube generation.

Internet "survivalist" training:
I think this guy was actually at a roadside food stand. He was just protecting his triple bacon cheese burger. ::clapping::

·
Administrator
15,450 Posts
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.
I would not feel unarmed if I was carring a single shot shotgun, a single action revolver, and a large Bowie knife, although a select fire rifle and a few frag grenades would raise the comfort factor.

Long ago and far away there was a saying that was drilled into us - My rifle and bayonet are only tools. I AM the weapon.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Single shots are useful tools. I have no issue what so ever with the notion of using a single shot shotgun. There is a time and place where they can really shine. Taking on the horde no, slipping through the woods in search of game yes.

I would be more inclined to get a double barreled muzzle stuffer for black powder, rather than reload shot shells with black powder. Just my preference since I don't see myself using much black powder and can't see tying up the shells when they could be better used for smokeless loads.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.
I would not feel unarmed if I was carring a single shot shotgun, a single action revolver, and a large Bowie knife, although a select fire rifle and a few frag grenades would raise the comfort factor.

Long ago and far away there was a saying that was drilled into us - My rifle and bayonet are only tools. I AM the weapon.
If I'm going up against armed enemy, hell no I don't a single shot but that is thinking like a soldier. Hiking, hunting, teaching a new shooter, or even home protection in other than a WTSHTF a single shot is great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
I would not feel unarmed if i was carring a single shot shotgun, a single action revolver, and a large bowie knife, although a select fire rifle and a few frag grenades would raise the comfort factor.

Long ago and far away there was a saying that was drilled into us - my rifle and bayonet are only tools. I am the weapon.
bingo!!!

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Say I get a pump shotgun first, what should I get next a single shot or something like a Saiga 12?
I don't much about the Saiga's other than they can have some reliability issues, but are generally good guns. My intent with this thread was to not forget having an alternative, simplistic design. My single shot shotguns are a back-up for my pump (my first choice and go to gun), and I really enjoy shooting them. I wouldn't take on a group of people with them unless that's all I had. Besides, these have to be shot with black powder anyway. They're old. My black powder revolvers are back-up as well. I can produce everything I need to shoot them, with the exception of caps (which I'm working on).

So I have no real answer for you. It's a personal choice. But a choice I wouldn't completely dismiss as far as a single shot goes. Plus, they're way cheaper than that Saiga. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts