Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So I know that there are some of you, like me, who switched from traditional tobacco cigarettes to e-cigarettes to quit smoking. Whether your a beginner at Vaping or have been doing it a while like myself, you need to take a look at this mod I picked up, the Innokin iTaste MVP 2.0. I was out shopping for a new mod and found this. It has some interesting features that made me thing this would be useful in an bind. Not only is it a Variable Voltage (VV) / Variable Wattage (VW) device that has a 2600Mah internal battery, but it also has the ability to charge other devices in a pinch, like a dead cell phone. It has a USB 2.0 output on the bottom of the unit and a cord that has a micro USB, Mini USB & 30pin iPod connector, to charge almost any small device. There is also an on/off switch on the bottom to control the charging port. I figure it's gonna be with me any way, I might as well be able to use it to charge other more important devices if I find myself in a bad situation.

Reactions: Denton and hayden

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Just an observation, but "switching" and "quitting" aren't really the same thing. :)

If the poop hits the rotational device, it might be a good time to let a few vices fade. That being said, if you can't I'll be the guy running the local tobacco farm...

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I quit all together after my heart attack. But I was getting ready to move to the E-Cig. And the smoking had nothing to do with my heart attack. Nothing.

I was told that I really didn't even have to quit smoking, though obviously, it was healthier for me. I apparently am one of those people who could smoke three packs a day until I'm 100 and be fine, but eating the occasional cheeseburger will kill me. Anyway, in some circles, it is believed that Nicotine has about the same affect on your body as coffee. Vaporizers deliver this chemical without the 300 other deadly chemicals in tobacco itself. So it's "safer". I told myself that if I started again, I would use the E-Cig.

Then it dawned on me; if SHTF, I had a bigger problem in maintaining the medication I need to take. It also got me thinking about Nicotine and the lack of it in a SHTF scenario and the withdrawals afterward and WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN? I was cruising the channels the other night and happened across "The Postman". It was the scene in the beginning of the movie where he knocked over the cigarette machine and said "I'm rich." The next scene was him smoking. I thought to myself "Once they're gone, then what?" I am kind of glad I had the heart attack as I had been trying, very unsuccessfully, to quit for over 6 months prior to it happening.

Those friends of mine that did switch over have reported to me that they can breath now as the vapor doesn't clog up the lungs with tar and gunk and nothing is hanging on there. Kind of like a breathing treatment with Nicotine. A guy that works with me at the school district has been smoking for 54 years, started when he was 10. He said he can actually breath way better than he could since he switched over and he has no desire, even when around others who are smoking cigarettes, to use anything other than his vaporizer.

Nicotine is very, very addictive and nearly impossible to give up, unless you have superhuman willpower and resolve. Being without cigarettes was like being without a car while trying to drive cross country. It was all you would think about. Do I have smokes? When will I run out of smokes? Where can I get smokes? And god forbid you discover you don't have a way to light up. It was ridiculous. But I will admit, I love smoking. Even though I have quit, I still love it. The act was soothing, relaxing and comforting. But I won't do it and only because I refuse to be Nicotine's bitch. If I can say no to a plate of delicious biscuits and gravy, I can walk away from smoking.

As far as your battery, the guy I work with has one very similar to that. I think you can use it to jump start your car in an emergency as well. But realistically, about the time you use it to charge other devices, can't recharge it and want a smoke, those other "more important devices" won't be so important when you don't have enough juice to make your vaporizer work.

But they are definitely a useful tool for smokers and non-smokers alike. Those smoking should just buy more of them. And good job switching over Sinkhole!!!!! I'm going to go fight off my craving now....

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Bigdogbuc, I quit 6 years ago using chantex, I stopped after 30 days and have never had the desire to go back or use one of those vapor things. I smoked cigarettes and cigars for 50 years, so the chantex did the job. The money saved goes for worthy things.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you really want to quit smoking, come to Monroe, GA and slap a cop. We have a non-smoking jail and it takes a long time to get to trial. You'll be smoke free in no time.

·
Registered
965 Posts
This thread brings up a good idea about quitting smoking. You probably would want to quit BEFORE the SHTF. I quit about 12 years ago, and the way I did it it was not aa problem after smoking 20 years and trying to quit multiple times. I was one of those guys that tried the patch and smoked while using the patch. As anybody who has smoked and tried to quit knows,it sucks. And being forced to quit during SHTF would flat suck. I advise to quit now.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Sinkhole, I approached the situation from a slightly different angle I purchased a solar restore charger/battery pack along with a couple of add on panels to boost the solar charge. It will charge cell phones, smaller tablets and some E cig batteries, I do like the looks of the Innokin E Cig battery and being able to use it for charging small devices would be a plus.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The nicotine addiction is definitely the hardest part to get over. I quit Feb 16th 2013 for good. The e-cig has helped by letting my slowly reduce the amount of nicotine I take in. When I quit I was a pack a day smoker. Normal rule is a pack a day smoker switching to the e-cig will start at 24mg of nicotine, I started a 18mg the stepped down to 12mg, now 6mg. my next step will be no nicotine. I works for me and I can breathe better my sense of smell is better, and I can taste things I couldn't before. I haven't gotten sick since. I routinely had about 3-4 sinus infections a year, that always turned into bronchitis. So it has been working good for me. I'm to the point now that I feel if the SHTF and I had to stop tomorrow, I wouldn't loose my mind and go all postal with out my fix. I definitely could not say that a year ago.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm a paradox apparently. I quit cold. No patch, no devices. Just accepted that I was going to be fairly unruly for about three days, and spent most of that time stuffing my tummy or sleeping a wee bit more.

...over fifteen years, since I know some people are thinking right now "that's easy if you haven't been smoking that long.". Your mileage may vary but your body doesn't need nicotine after the first few days. It's all in your head, which is the most messed up part of any human body.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
I quit about a decade ago, the insane, cold turkey way. A month of depressed, insomniac hell, it was. A total grump, on top of that. The first time I tried to quit didn't go very well. I tried choking a fella out of his body. Others stopped me before he passed out. In all fairness, he needed killing - everyone agreed to that, but the boss said I couldn't quit as long as I was working for him. So, I went to another airfield, quit, didn't get in trouble, and was all better after a month.

Last month, I tried an e-cig. Mocha flavored. Danged tasty. Bought one of my own. Mocha and toffee are my flavors. Problem is, the monkey is back. I'll be getting more fluid come Monday, and it's going to be 12mg.

You'd think I would've known not to play with the addiction fire, but who said I was very smart.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Some people get addicted to it and some don't. Some people get addicted to Methadone but after being on it for three years (long term pain management) I took myself off of it. Not everyone can get addicted to drugs and some can. If you find yourself addicted, you should quit at all costs and never, under any circumstances, start again. (advice from the book relayed by someone who has never been addicted to anything but have seen others ruined by it)

Reactions: Denton
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.