Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems there is a mental barrier when people are considering the thought of "prepping".

Maybe they have never heard of it, or maybe all they've heard about is those weird "Doomsday Preppers" on the History channel. Perhaps they can't get past the idea that their comfortable American lifestyle might be interrupted with a disaster of some kind, and that they might have to be ready for that.

Is it really that weird? Even F.E.M.A. recommends everyone be prepared to take care of themselves for at least a few weeks in the case of an emergency with no government assistance available of any kind.
However, once we realize that we should be prepared to some degree, then we have crossed into the "prepare lifestyle". They used to call people like that "survivalists".

Whatever you want to call it, and however deep you are into preparedness and readiness, it is a necessary part of any responsible persons life. Our grandparents used to save things for a "rainy day", and the Great Depression isn't too far in the past, I have friends that are still alive and lived through it.

Don't think readiness is weird, it's not, it's wise - just don't let it become a weird obsession that consumes you like a mental illness. There are plenty of regular folks out there that are becoming aware of the need to be self reliant.

Your thoughts and input are invited.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I agree, your post makes a lot of sense. There is as many levels to preppering as there are preppers I guess. From the bunker complex builders who prep enough food water ect to survive years, to those who only prep to make it long enough to give one's self a fighting chance towards survival. Everyone has to decide for themselves what degree of prepping they want to undertake.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
It seems there is a mental barrier when people are considering the thought of "prepping".

Maybe they have never heard of it, or maybe all they've heard about is those weird "Doomsday Preppers" on the History channel. Perhaps they can't get past the idea that their comfortable American lifestyle might be interrupted with a disaster of some kind, and that they might have to be ready for that.

Is it really that weird? Even F.E.M.A. recommends everyone be prepared to take care of themselves for at least a few weeks in the case of an emergency with no government assistance available of any kind.
However, once we realize that we should be prepared to some degree, then we have crossed into the "prepare lifestyle". They used to call people like that "survivalists".

Whatever you want to call it, and however deep you are into preparedness and readiness, it is a necessary part of any responsible persons life. Our grandparents used to save things for a "rainy day", and the Great Depression isn't too far in the past, I have friends that are still alive and lived through it.

Don't think readiness is weird, it's not, it's wise - just don't let it become a weird obsession that consumes you like a mental illness. There are plenty of regular folks out there that are becoming aware of the need to be self reliant.

Your thoughts and input are invited.
My friend and fellow person, I will explain in short terms what you are dealing with.

Psychologists call this 'normalcy bias.' It's not normal, way off...that can't be right. Right?

Turns out the schools, media- all of that are creating what we who know a thing or two about their best weapon- their brain- have known for awhile now. Normalcy bias is a trick of the human brain that bases itself in our strong pack-primate nature. What ever you know to be true you will accept. Whatever you don't know, unless you have trained your mind such as scientist or rational thinker and user of LOGIC, you will reject. That is an instinct for use in the pack. The worst thing about this trait and the media, conglomerates etc are not all to blame for this phenomenon. It's human nature. Just that SOME people have consulted other smart people and abuse this trait for their own ends IE politics and such. Snickers being the most satisfying candy bar of them all etc etc. It's normal, especially with whom you are involved with or live around. That normalcy bias, that comfortable complacence, was one of the plot themes to the blockbuster movie "The Matrix" and was responsible for most of it's mind-expanding shock value.

Hope I led you in the right direction, home-skillet. I got your back.

-Leon

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Eh. It is what it is.

Fortunately some of us see the writing on the wall. We put away enough just for our own.

I don't see it any different than my grampas family growing up in New Mexico. Grow extra in spring and summer. Put away for winter. Were they preppers? Or did they know that times would get harsh in winter, so they needed to be prepared?

Or better yet.

When things were good, get extra for when things got bad?

For them it was a way of life. Only recently has the term "prepper" been used. Negatively at that.

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
I grew up with parents that went thru the Great Depression. I saw a lot of things that my father did that made me wonder about him. I feel he eventually turned into a hoarder. Some of the stuff he found and dragged home was utterly ridiculous. But my mother taught me about putting away for winter and then some.

When I started "prepping" as opposed to living the way my folks taught me, my wife rolled her eyes many a time. When I sat down with her to talk about why I was prepping, she didn't want to talk about it. Eventually she opened up and said this type of talk scared her no end. She didn't want to think about anything like I was prepping for. I wonder how many other people are the same. The prospect of some terrible disaster scares them so badly, the go into denial. "It's not going to happen here, this is the United States, that kind of crap happens in third world countries, not here."

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's only a mental barrier to people who are weak minded and susceptible to the bullshit image the media and political dirtbags project it to being. Anyone who uses their brain and can think independently between what's really what knows better. It is just being prepared for a raining day. It's smart, it's old as time throughout civilization with people who know better and it saves people's lives. Anyone who sees it otherwise I could give a crap about other than the thought on how many rounds it will take to put them down when they come trying to take my stuff when the shtf.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This thread hits a hot spot for me. Not too long ago i was living in an apartment building when there was a very brief blackout due to a transformer problem. I had two neighbors who had just moved in who were in a panic and I lent them candles and suggested they just chill since I could see it was not more than a few buildings out. They sat and chatted for the hour or so of darkness and I didn't even know I was being labeled as a weirdo when I told them what the city hall itself had just recommened, which is that everyone should have two weeks of survival supplies on hand all the time, since they had just done some kind of national survey showing that even minor region-wide breakdowns like power outages can take between a week and two weeks for full recovery. Before I knew it, those two neighbors started a gossip campaign against everything I did, and I couldn't even go out in my garden! They drove everyone who was not part of their "community" out of the building. "Prepper-baiting" (to coin a term) was one of their weapons.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
"Normalcy bias" is what makes mammals pause when confronted with a situation they haven't faced before. It can also cause you to freeze when you should be running or otherwise reacting. It will affect all of us to greater or lesser degrees. It is important to mentally practice how to respond to unfamiliar situations and work out as many different responses as you can to minimize the effects of "normalcy bias". Talking events out with a group will also help because you may find responses that you hadn't considered before.

Somebody ought to invent a board game along those lines! Maybe I will.....

Reactions: microprepper

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think its a lack of responsibility or training, allot of people that are peppers have had some kinda of event that has taught them the responsibility of having a plan if something happens, to were some people just rely on everyone else to help them, then you have those who just live in the world which I call zombies just here in life walking aimlessly through it without any plan. If anything does happen it will be left up to us who have prepared to protect our way of life and property..Just my humble opinion

Reactions: microprepper

·
Banned
148 Posts
I grew up with parents and grandparents that lived through the Great Depression. They all had their stories of survival and still practiced precaution. The 1970 + generation have been sheltered by time and prosperity from these experiences. The see it as a fairy tale and they think it can never happen again. I think Katrina and the last financial crisis woke a few folks up.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
It is already up to us to protect ourselves and property. That is the responsibility of owning property and being alive. There is no one who can protect you as well as you can protect yourself.

Being aware of your surroundings is something that every person should learn to do. You don't have to be paranoid to recognize the path that others are taking as they approach or sitting in a restaurant so you can see the door or locking your car door when you drive. Looking at everyone within your defensible space to recognize the level of threat they might pose and taking action to minimize that threat is just good sense.

Yes it takes time to make it an automatic process but it is worth the time. It could save your life or the lives of others around you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have moved since then, so they will have only their own kind to whine to in an emergency. I live in a saner place now, where the liberals are so overwhelmed by the basic problems of a collapsing economic pyramid that they leave most of us alone and we are happier this way.

As for having a plan or experience, I grew up back when a blizzard meant the wires would be down and so winter-prep was normal and was a vacation from school, an excuse to play games and eat cookies. We thought electirci heat was irresponsible back then everyone had an oil (kerosene) heater or a gas stove or a woodstove even if there was electric heat so a blackout was not a big deal. Right now I live in the south and so heat is not a big deal and my present guests from the North just noticed I do not own a heater, since we live in a cabin than is easily heated every time I bake a pie. Right now we are in a cold-snap and they are still snug and warm with the kiddies playing with blocks off-the-grid while I am taking a break to get online at the public library. So When it is cold I bake a lot and freeze the goodies for when it is too hot to cook. And the cabin is made of sand-packed cinderblocks which are the best insulation you can get and it is easy to stay warm under the puffy quilts all night.

Really, I am amazed at how artificial the world has become for what I now think of as the "plastic people" and how desperate they become with the slightest upset of their weird system..

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Eh. It is what it is.

Fortunately some of us see the writing on the wall. We put away enough just for our own.

I don't see it any different than my grampas family growing up in New Mexico. Grow extra in spring and summer. Put away for winter. Were they preppers? Or did they know that times would get harsh in winter, so they needed to be prepared?

Or better yet.

When things were good, get extra for when things got bad?

For them it was a way of life. Only recently has the term "prepper" been used. Negatively at that.
That's pretty much the way I look at it as well and sums it up well for me too. I just have a few guns and boxes of ammo to go with it too, cause no ones is gonna take better care of big number 1 better than I am.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I have been self-employed through three recessions now. Mrs Inor's job is to keep our house and get us by as cheaply as possible. My job is to make sure she has the cash on hand to do her job. Sometimes, we have not been able to draw a paycheck for a few months. That is just how it is. A lot of what brought us to prepping in the first place has nothing to do with a complete meltdown of society or a natural disaster in our area. Rather it was just that we might have to get by for an extended time with no income. By starting down that path, we discovered the fun part of this lifestyle.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I'd rather be "weird" than hungry. Or a victim. We're not highly thought of and I believe that our existence forces people to confront things they would be happier living in denial with. Like never losing internet, electricity, all the food you can buy...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts