Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rodents. I've mentioned several times how we have on going problem at my house. We put out the poison, and they'll be less of them, but the minute we let up, say go for a month without filling the traps, we're back to square one.

I'm sick of cleaning up mouse droppings. It's so unsanitary.

It's an old house, and a big house, and has two apartment areas--for the uncles. I think my brother-in-law is the biggest problem, because he leaves food out in his kitchen. He's got his issues. I decided I'm gonna get him a cat, a good mouser, maybe even two mousers. I'll be responsible for them; food, vetting, etc, but they'll be his pets. My b-i-l could use the company.

But mainly I'm getting him a cat/s for selfish reasons.

I'm also considering adding a rat terrier to the family later on. I had to put my old boy down around Easter this year, so I'm left with one shih tzu, who couldn't catch a mouse if her life depended on it.

Does anyone have advice on working pets for rodent control, like a barn cat or terrier? Does that work better than the poison, or about the same? I'll of course have to take up the poison after we get the cat/s, but the sticky traps will stay.

I always feel so bad for the little squeakers when they're stuck. Eh, what a way to go, you know?

I could keep the cat/s in the basement area sometimes. We've also go a barn. Maybe some fixed feral cats? I know there's a couple rescues around here that are always looking for barns or sheds for those cats.

But the neighbors have a fox hollow. They've got about five mangey looking foxes on their property. I don't know if maybe we'd just be providing fox food by getting feral cats

Anyway, thanks if you've read to the end.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can get poison in little containers that only mice size animals can get into. Also available in rat/chipmunk sizes. At any big box store. They also come in refillable models. I’ve used them with two cats and a dog with no problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my experience, cats are great. Even my spoiled house cat growing up kept our old place mouse free - the only time we were aware one had been in the house was when he would bring it dead to us as a gift. Quantifiably worked better than traps for us

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used to use sticky traps and once in a while, I'd catch a mouse, but more often, I'd catch lizards, so I stopped.

BTW, I felt so sorry for the stuck mice I'd put them under the wheel of my car and squish them out of their misery.

You haven't lived until you've driven a few miles with a sticky trap stuck to a tire.

I'm liking the cat idea more and more. And if you have feral cats, what's the harm in letting the foxes have a few? You can just get more cats.

I'm nothing if not a problem solver.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm liking the cat idea more and more. And if you have feral cats, what's the harm in letting the foxes have a few? You can just get more cats.
If an animal's in my care, I do what I can within reason to provide a good life for it.

ETA: re:running them over. I know what you mean about putting them out of their misery.

I've started tossing the sticky trap into a bucket of water. My bro said they could come unglued that way, but so far, they haven't.

I heard somewhere that once someone's over the initial panic, drowning's a relatively peaceful way to go. (shrugs) Sounds reasonable to me.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use the ole bucket and peanut butter trap. Better then cats.
I used a slab of peanut butter on a sticky trap in one of the hot spots (under the kitchen sink), and it was there a few weeks, but none of the mice went for it. Not sure why. It was Skippy. Maybe they're picky. What brand do you recommend?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cats are great for mice, terriers are great for rats. I have two terriers that have trained my other dogs for ratting. Now I'll go to other farms and help them with their rats. The thing about having predators to take care of your rodents instead of traps and poison is once you have predators the rodents slow down or even stop coming to you. I have an old house and had two cats. They killed mice left and right until the mice didn't come here anymore. Even after those cats passed on, I didn't have mice for 3 or 4 years. Then they slowly started coming back until I brought in my evil cat who once again sent them packing. Rats leaving a sinking ship is a true saying. When it gets hard for rodents, they go elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
True story: my bro used to be a super intendant at a large residential community in Florida. One time a squirrel got caught on a sticky trap. Another employee who was outside with a water hose wanted to show my brother how, if you spray the trap with the hose, the rodent comes unglued. So he sprays the squirrel, it comes unglued, the squirrel runs across the lawn and out comes some alley cat who catches it and runs off with the squirrel in it's mouth!

When it's your time to go, there's no puttin' it off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used a slab of peanut butter on a sticky trap in one of the hot spots (under the kitchen sink), and it was there a few weeks, but none of the mice went for it. Not sure why. It was Skippy. Maybe they're picky. What brand do you recommend?
Actually, I think that peanut butter is a better bait for squirrels. Mice seem to like grains better (back when I used to trap wild mice for research, we used Hava Heart traps and baited them with Quaker Oats). Maybe an oatmeal cookie at the middle of the sticky? We had a rat terrier mix for 11 years. Most neurotic dog I've ever seen, but he was my heart dog. He also was hell on wheels against anything remotely rodent. Our previous dog had been my wife's bichon - the rabbits used to chase him.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, I think that peanut butter is a better bait for squirrels. Mice seem to like grains better (back when I used to trap wild mice for research, we used Hava Heart traps and baited them with Quaker Oats). Maybe an oatmeal cookie at the middle of the sticky?
You could be on to something. I think so!

We had a rat terrier mix for 11 years. Most neurotic dog I've ever seen, but he was my heart dog. He also was hell on wheels against anything remotely rodent.
I'm thinking it's my next dog! That's awesome he was so good that way. Was he much of a watchdog?

Our previous dog had been my wife's bichon - the rabbits used to chase him.
Haha!

My little Shih Tzu does her best. She's fast, but she's not built for hunting. When the man catches something in his "have a heart trap" she goes over and gives the cage a good slap. slap, slap! It's pretty cute, but that's all she can do.

Update on the cat adoption. So I took my b-i-l to get a cat, and he's had it about a week now. He's over the moon with it, (loves the company), and that's great! But for selfish reasons, I'm pretty happy because the mice have all but disappeared from his apt. He used to see at least one daily. I haven't seen any in my part of the home--hope it stays that way....

I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to take the used kitty littler and put it in spots where I've seen rodent activity. I read that if they smell cat urine, the mice clear out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts