Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is like a fish story.

As I noted in another thread I'm happily working again, teaching now and enjoying it. I have income that isn't destined to anything
for the first time in a few years. Its really refreshing and so I told my wife I'll be hunting for a particular hand gun I've coveted for
some time. Only I didn't expect it to show up - TODAY.

This particular hand gun is a Series 70 Colt Commander (4.25 inch 1911) in 9mm and the older the better so long as the condition
is good - I just like how they made them between 1951-65 more so than after. Finding one isn't that hard - they are on gunbroker
right now. Only problem - CALIFORNIA. The sellers on gunbroker won't ship to CA. Most won't even consider thinking about the
game we play with single shot exemptions. Its legal but convince someone who's livelihood depends on following the rules is next to
impossible - I don't blame them for this - it is complicated.

Now I barter firearms a lot so I always look at our very active gun forum for trading / sales and low and behold it pops up
today. A 1950's, round count less than 50 estimated, mint - absolutely mint looking condition, truly original box, instructions
and the works - only 75 miles from home. Price tag a mere $1400 - to be honest that is completely in line with what I saw in
the images presented.

Now I keep cash on hand for emergencies, but is this an emergency? No, I can't. I vasilated. I wanted too, but no, its for
emergencies. My wife comes home for lunch, I show her the ad, and she says go ahead, we will replace the emergency fund
with your pay check and I'm good with that. So I call, and its gone already. DANG

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Ouch. You know another will come around, but still... ouch.

Reactions: Denton

·
Administrator
15,386 Posts
When i read the thread title I thought about guns that we had, only to let them go and wish we hadn't.
For me that would have been the Ruger Blackhawk 45 Convertible with 7 1/2" barrel, the most accurate handgun I have ever fired. The beginning of my love affair with the 45 Colt cartridge and single action revolvers. The 45 Convertible came with two cylinders - one for 45 Colt, the other for 45 ACP. Due to financial problems in the 80's I had to liquidate my gun collection and the Blackhawk got away.
A few years ago before the economy tanked i was getting quarterly profit sharing bonuses and I used this to rebuild my collection. But, alas, Ruger no longer makes the pistol of my dreams, only a 5 1/2" version. I bought one, and right now it's laying on my nightstand loaded with Corbon 45 Colt +P 200 grain JHP's. But it's just not the same as my old one.

Reactions: Denton and Ripon

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
This will make you sick. My dumb ass neighbor bought a Colt Commander 9mm for $700. Really nice gun had to borrow him some cash. Which I did with the stipulation that if he sold it I get first dibs.
Well the other day he stops by to show me his new toy. It's a M&P 22lr AR. You know these mini AR 22's that sell new in the $500 range. He's so proud that he traded the Colt for this USED 22 with a couple mags. Yep traded the Colt 9mm even up for a used 22. "Really hard to get those 22's these days".
I haven't talked to him in a couple months now.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That sucks but there will be another one, it's just a matter of time. Keep looking you'll find the one you're looking for. If that one was that nice I think it would actually become a safe queen for me and only come out to be fired on special occasions, I'd have to look for one with at least a little holster wear I think. In any event, don't let it get you down especially since you now know the wife is ok with you using the emergency fund to front the money if something comes along that's a good deal and what you're looking for. I've had similar experiences and it always sucks, sorry for your luck.

-Infidel

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've made some trades (like I said I barter all of the time) that didn't seem quite fair to the other party but its what they wanted - heck my M1A came that way. Still I would never plunder someone like that - wow.

This will make you sick. My dumb ass neighbor bought a Colt Commander 9mm for $700. Really nice gun had to borrow him some cash. Which I did with the stipulation that if he sold it I get first dibs.
Well the other day he stops by to show me his new toy. It's a M&P 22lr AR. You know these mini AR 22's that sell new in the $500 range. He's so proud that he traded the Colt for this USED 22 with a couple mags. Yep traded the Colt 9mm even up for a used 22. "Really hard to get those 22's these days".
I haven't talked to him in a couple months now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts