Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I discovered the entirety of Doomsday Preppers season 1 posted on YouTube. I am going to refrain from posting any kind of link because I suspect they are not legally posted there.

Anyhow, watching some of these people really makes me question where the line between prepper and crazy rests. In watching this show, a lot of the people seem perfectly 'normal' and have families, jobs, and lives. Other people are just a little eccentric, yet others totally fit the hoarder or 'loose cannon' profile. Then you have these folks who are prepping for very specific events that are extremely unlikely to ever occur. They uproot their family to keep them safe from this type of event and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars prepping that goes beyond any kind of reasonable logic.

What do you guys think? Where is the line between crazy and prepper?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Absolutely. I think spending all your money on prepping is a really bad decision.

I think organization of preps can be a real indicator as well. A lot of the folks whose food preps are all over the place, poorly stored, not labeled and rotated tend to strike me more as food hoarders than anything else. I think preppers should be highly organized and orchestrated in their activities to be the most effective with their prepping. I cringe seeing people with disorganized junk all over the place. I always think, 'Well that's great you got a lot of stuff, but how are you going to find any of it when TSHTF?'

·
Registered
466 Posts
On another site I am on, those people advertise for people to sign up with them to be on tv. First of all, they have all almost had trouble from Aunt you know who since then. I would avoid posting anything in relation to them in any way. I would't even make comments if I were you. Mum is the word !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Preppermama, I agree, a lot of people have created their own personal shtf moment by getting into debt preparing for something that may or may not happen. Preppers are "insuring" themselves against disaster by prepping. No one would go into debt to buy heath, home or auto insurance, but some people seem to lose that perception in prepping. Additionally, the fringe wing nuts make better TV ratings.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I personally question why some of these people would even go on the show.

A. Everyone knows where you live once the show airs, effectively throwing your anonymity to the wind.
B. People know in detail most of your preps. When TSHTF, guess whose house they're heading to: YOURS!
C. Your secret bunker location isn't so secret anymore, inviting extra guests and unwanted looters.
D. The government is going to red flag you and start monitoring your activities. Lots of preppers have had issues since going on the show.

Some of the preppers on the show actually made me cringe with their preps:
- People storing 100s of small propane cylinders inside their house and sleeping quarters. If one of those propane seals were to fail, you could kill your whole family in the blink of an eye. Propane should never be stored in living quarters like that.
- Bunkers with only one exit. What happens when the main door freezes shut or outsiders get mad at you and block your door from being able to open. That's a death sentence for your whole family.
- The couple who had allegedly buried $30K in silver around their yard. HELLO? You're advertising this on national television. That's an invitation for people to come rob you.
- Running generators without proper ventilation. There seems to be a whole fringe of people who own generators, but have no idea how to properly use them. I suspect if TSHTF for real, there would be a large number of people dieing off from carbon monoxide exposure as the result of improper generator ventilation. Happens at least once a year here in Maine.
- The anti-gun preppers who think they're gonna be able to bug in or bug out and survive without weapons. I don't go camping in a normal state of affairs without a gun because it's easy to be robbed or attacked by an animal in the north woods. Those people will be the first to go.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are a lot of people out there who think anyone who stores more than a weeks worth of food has already crossed the line onto the crazy side.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
well i dont worry about a lot of the variable im very quiet about being a prepper, but from my position stress being prepared. i have 2 community meetings a year, push bug out backs and being prepared for 2 weeks. as we are in earthquake land. but i wou,dnt go on tv if i was that paranoid digging holes in the ground , and i wish i could. lol some preppers are over the edge. i saw one show a gal was right nect to the capitol could even see it from living room windo. i mean shes close. she had rooms full of crap. is she serious? thats the first place the gobmint will take over she is in bad shape beign right next to the captiol martial law ground zero! some people just dont think. she says she bought there so she can watch the government. best place to watch the gubmint is from the hills, through binoculars. lol

·
Registered
24,350 Posts
So, you are saying that prepping is only a matter of hoarding a specific sort of items? :grin:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Only you can decide what you need of what and how much. When you ask other people a question like this, you are only going to get more confused. Everyone's specific needs and fears are different.

Here is an example: Me, I think I would have to say , that my greatest fear at the moment is total economic collapse. But, should that turn around, then my next greatest fear would have to be a super large solar flare that would take the entire grid down for years to come. Pretty much the same result. But again, everyone is prepping for something different.

Now, were I living in the greater L.A. area, my greatest fear would shift to a super earthquake and being able to get out of the basin as fast as possible. So Crazy ? so what, don't tell people what your prepping for or how much you have put away. Especially don't talk to your neighbors and friends about it. Should you do that, the "I know where to go now " mentality comes into play for a lot of un preparred people. You do not want that.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think the real difference occurs when you forget why you are prepping. Or more importantly, when your prepping doesn't match your reasons. For example: for a Government gone crazy... you prep with 5 assault rifles and 2000 rounds of ammo. Natural disaster... you prep with 5 assault rifles and 2000 rounds of ammo. Economic collapse... you prep with 5 assault rifles and 2000 rounds of ammo... oh... and some twinkies. Basically... your prepping should match some type of reality for your situation.

Here's an example reason to always have a 72 hr BOB ready: I live in Colorado Springs... and in case you guys missed it in the news... he had a fire here a few months ago. It started outside of town in the mountains but quickly spread into town... yes... I said INTO town. We lost over 450 homes and had two deaths in about a 24 hour period. I spoke to one of my friends afterward and he explained that while in "pre-evacuation", they were given two hours to grab what they could from home and split. 10 minutes later... sirens and loud speakers demanded their immediate departure. My friend and his family ran out of the house with only what was in their hands, got in their car and watched their neighbors house start to burn in their rear view mirror as they drove away (luckily for them... they only had external structural damage, broken windows from the intense heat, and a smoke filled house. That being said... assault rifles and vast stores of food wouldn't have helped them. And unfortunately... they didn't have a BOB... no extra clothes... no food... but they had photo albums and important papers and friends they could get to.

Weapons, alternative power sources, off-road vehicles, food stores, medicines, etc... all have a place in prepping.... The question is: Why do you have them? If you can justify them and truly understand why you need them (and don't make your family suffer in the process of getting them), then you are probably a prepper. If you collect crap... just to have the best or most crap... then you've probably crossed the line. Besides... it's like your living room furniture... if TSHTF... can you really take it all with you when it comes time to split?

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's why I just have a BOB. I workout with it 4-5 times a week to get used to the weight and make it as light as possible. If a SHTF moment arises, I just simply grab it and go immediately.

It's a one time investment so rather than spending "X" amount of money, you just do it once and won't have to worry about going overboard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts