Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we, wife and I, bought a new garage door, I kept about all the hardware and most of the usable metal. I let the installers haul away the door panels which were crap, although I had to admit I did consider even keeping them. It got me thinking about prepping, yeah, I know food, water, guns ammo and such, what what about material? Not to sound like I am bragging but I am pretty good at taking something that was for one thing and turning it, or parts of it into something else useful. The thing is I don't want to turn my home into a Stanford's and Son, but then, I hate throwing anything away, that might be very useful in the future. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I see lots of people with that problem or worse. I think the key to keep from being a 'crazy hoarder' like on the hoarders tv show is organization and the ability to properly store stuff.

Piles of unknown and degrading stuff is junk/garbage.

Quantities of known, properly stored and useable stuff is an asset.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Only if you consider 4 foot by 3 foot panels of 3/4 plywood, (qty 50+), 4 foot 2x4's (qty 100+), and any tools that had to be thrown off the jobsite due to OSHA rules, then no Im not a hoarder..Im a repurposer, like you..I have three broken vertical bandsaws that I have "been thinking about" making one, for over a year now..Plus, about 1000 pounds of large eyebolts and clevis's..I feel if I have room, I should not throw them away. But, sadly, my place is starting to look a little like Sanford and Son.
I think I have solved the issue of the wood thou, I have a leaky roof, one 8 by 8 section in livingroom, the damn roof has so much metal, tar, and "that miracle spray" that seals leaky sieves on there, I think Im just gonna erect a large roof over the whole trailer, only have to purchase the larger frame material, I have enough scraps to gusset and sheet the thing..Also, it will help with the extreme intense heat that little trailer makes..If i could take a little time, I can probably trade my friends the eyebolts and clevis's or a motor off one of the bandsaws for help..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, I think the difference between hoarding and prepping is that hoarders will store trash, garbage, or just plain junk. I think we've all seen the TV shows, the houses with mountains of rotting trash and piles of unkown junk. There's a line between that, and keeping a hold of items that do have a use and can be used again.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Today we, wife and I, bought a new garage door, I kept about all the hardware and most of the usable metal. I let the installers haul away the door panels which were crap, although I had to admit I did consider even keeping them. It got me thinking about prepping, yeah, I know food, water, guns ammo and such, what what about material? Not to sound like I am bragging but I am pretty good at taking something that was for one thing and turning it, or parts of it into something else useful. The thing is I don't want to turn my home into a Stanford's and Son, but then, I hate throwing anything away, that might be very useful in the future. Anyone else have this problem?
Stanford and Sons for those few that remember it will be the 1% after the collapse, I always balance hauling things to the scrapers vs. the value of keeping it her at home.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I think if you have to walk through an isle of "stuff" 6' high in your house to get to the kitchen then maybe you have a problem. Otherwise... Good to go. ;)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
A pack rat will put something back with a particular use in mind, they have a plan. A hoarder usually doesn't have a plan beyond I may need this some day. So there is a difference. Pack rats are usually organized and sometimes highly organized. A Hoarder often will just pile stuff in a haphazard fashion and often do not distinguish between useable and not useable items.

Yes I am a packrat!

·
Super Moderator
9,180 Posts
One man's trash is another man's hoard of trash. My father teetered on the edge of being a pack rat/hoarder. He lived thru the depression and felt if it could serve a purpose some day, it should be saved. I recall one time when I was maybe 10 or so. He took a load of garbage to the city dump and brought back almost as much as he took. After he passed away, most of it went into the 20 yard dumpster. One that went to the scrap yard was a tinned (so it looked like galvanized metal) refrigeration coil. It took my 3 brothers and I to get it out of the basement. Weighed in at nearly 500 pounds of copper. But that was an exception.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Hoarders let their stuff run their lives. It's an addiction. If your stores begin to get in the way of your normal living then you need help to get rid of it. Hoarders think all their garbage is useful - even precious. Preppers keep stores out of view but hoarders allow the accumulation to take over every aspect of their lives.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 8x16 garden shed. It is for materials. If it wont fit in there i don't keep it. From plywood from the store over ordering to screws, nuts, bolts. I keep it in order. I do use my stuff and as my selection goes down i replace.I don't buy in small amounts. I do stop at farm garage sales in hopes for boxes of nails for cheap. Picked up a 3 gallon pail of fencing staples for 5 bucks.. My wife at first thought i was nuts. Now its handy to her, walk in the shed and get what you need.Don't let it consume your life, make it help your life.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I think part of it is whether we are using our own definition of hoarder or the government definition.
As far as they are concerned, if we have more than a weeks worth of groceries, we are hoarders, and should be "looked at".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts