Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost done with this one, just need to get some fine steel wool to buff the scales. After that, it will be on the market. I am particularly proud of this one though, I usually make skinners, and this is my first time making a 5" blade. With the current setup I have, you won't see me pushing it past that. I wanted it to look like an old revolver, so the steel is cold blued, and the scales are hand oiled. For anyone wondering, it is 1095 steel with Cocobolo scales. Those are the screw type pins holding the scales on with lots of epoxy. I have it sharpened to what we all call "hair poppin'". When I put it on Etsy, I will take better pictures, but these are good enough to show it off. It's really too bad I am poor, otherwise I would keep all of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I like the lines. I have a few Bradfords and they follow the same idea.

It's everything you need, and nothing you don't.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I like it, the Cocobolo really sets it off.

iI I wasn't poor I'd buy it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should point out that I got the sheath from Texas Knifemaker Supply. My leatherwork sucks in a big way, and they sell finished sheaths cheap lol.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Yep it's a knife, but not my style
Show us one you like.

Lowtechredneck has built a knife that can just about do anything. It's the right length, it could be used as a hunting knife or a survival knife. With the right edge, you could go fishing with it. It would be good for camping and making tinder since the handle is ergonomic and slightly rounded to avoid "hot spots" in your hand from longer work periods. The blade is treated with "blue wash" the fights off corrosion. It has a flat spine which would enhance batoning. The handle has a deep choil to keep a frozen hand from slippimg onto the blade.

In short, 'Redneck made a knife that does it all. So show us the 'better' one.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think the only feature I would like to see on a knife is a butt cap durable enough to act as an impromptu hammer.

Not for bashing in skulls necessarily.

More like tent stakes, or hammering in a nail when a hammer is not available and better control than using a rock.

Hence, I have a number of Ka-Bars.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Show us one you like.

Lowtechredneck has built a knife that can just about do anything. It's the right length, it could be used as a hunting knife or a survival knife. With the right edge, you could go fishing with it. It would be good for camping and making tinder since the handle is ergonomic and slightly rounded to avoid "hot spots" in your hand from longer work periods. The blade is treated with "blue wash" the fights off corrosion. It has a flat spine which would enhance batoning. The handle has a deep choil to keep a frozen hand from slippimg onto the blade.

In short, 'Redneck made a knife that does it all. So show us the 'better' one.
I don't have what may or may not be a better one as I'm not really a knife person per say. I didn't say anything bad about the maker or the knife it's self. I just know I would not buy it or carry that type of knife just on looks alone, which I don't like. If that is not a good enough answer for you then pound sand, as I don't answer to you, I just gave my opinion on what was presented.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
Boy do we have the keyboard commandos around here. A lot of bad-assed talk from folks hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Boy do we have the keyboard commandos around here. A lot of bad-assed talk from folks hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.
Sorry you feel that way, but I have some credentials. I handle knives all day long, I'm just not a cutler.

There are lots of things I do not like, but I can tell you why. When you say you don't like something (especially when you admit you're not a "knife person") then I begin to look for the round rubber nose and the floppy shoes.

Then again, I knew what I was getting into. Ekim gets this way when his mom runs out of pizza rolls or she asks him to empty the lint off the dryer filter.

·
Premium Member
3,162 Posts
I was thinking that recently one poster was braggin about paying a buck a shot for the privilege of punching out a member of the radical right. Now today we’re telling folks that disagree with us to pound sand. I think it’s funny.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I'm not referencing you Tourist
Oh, no problem. I had it coming. I knew what I was getting into, and I went anyway. I think that if a cutler produces a knife with this many practical and well-done features he should be congratulated, not hosed by a nobody.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a Kabar next to me bed. Dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 16. I don't take it in the woods though. Not because I am afraid of hurting it, I am just saving it for a true SHTF scenario. I don't let the criticism get to me, whenever you are on the internet there will be the same stuff. I know my creations are not for everyone, some people like the mirror polishes stuff with no sanding scratches, others composite handles, big knives, small knives, etc. But I also know there are people who think like me. The blueing on this blade was more for a design feature, but dad has also been beating it into my head from my youth that you never want anything reflective unless you are trying to attract attention. To this day, he still has never had shiny guns or knives. I figure if he lived through 4 years in 'Nam, he probably knows more about it than me lol.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Lowtechredneck, I don't mirror finish every edge. Many clients want something with a little "bite." And there are plenty of stones that provide this type of kirinaga edge.

You made a good, practical and useful tool. I cannot do what you do. I knew you were dedicated to your craft when I saw the curves of the handle and finger choil. Yours was a knife that was made to be used.

I hope you show us more!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
That's very nice, I like it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts