Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, last night I finished up my chores and my Lab wants to go on our evening walk. I grab my trusty Surefire 9P aluminum flashlight, and off we go.

We live on a ridge top between two rivers that feed into a large lake. My dog loves to swim (it's a Lab thing) and he loves to hunt. He sees a lot of wildlife and I have him trained not to pursue them unless I release him on command. That is important when duck hunting especially, so he doesn't blow your hunt and let the ducks bust you.

He sees deer all the time, and when he was young he used to chase them but would quickly leave them alone as soon as they turned and put on a burst of speed. Just testing his presence, I figured. Normally he does not pay much attention to them when we encounter them.

So we're walking, and it's late and pretty dark. I hear a neighbor's dog barking (they let him run loose but he is scared of us) and then I hear this noise coming at me from my neighbors side yard.

It is this huge buck and he is coming right at us, full speed, and hooves thumping. I froze, because I know a buck can have a hard-hitting impact if you move into his path when he is bounding, and he was.

Well, my Lab decides he was having none of that. So he moves right at the buck in full attack mode, huge growl as he moves. He is an AKC registered yellow Lab, from champion stock, and he is big and tough. 120 pounds and charges like a linebacker.

Well, this is a huge buck but he didn't like dogs apparently. He dips his head and tries to gore my dog with his antlers. My dog fakes him out, and turns on him as he misses, and it is on. Lab and buck going after it in the front yard in one of the most heavily landscaped yards I have ever seen.

Visions of vet bills and landscape contractor repairs flash into my mind, so I light up the buck with the flashlight and start hooting and hollering at the buck. Realizing he is now outflanked by something with a blinding light, the buck cuts and runs away from me and my dog, and jumps into the river to escape.

Well, ordinarily that would be the end of the story. But my Lab loves to swim, and he decides to teach this young buck a lesson. So he tears off after him and jumps into the river too, chasing the buck.

Now I'm whistling and yelling for my dog to stop and come back, which at this point was such a lost cause it was completely comical. So I keep them in sight with the flashlight, and my dog chases that buck all the way across the river and onto the bank. Now I am panicking that my dog was about to get lost, so I changed tactics and start congratulating him, saying "Good boy!" and "Way to go, buddy!"

It works, and my best friend shakes his fur off, and calmly slips back into the water and swims back across the river to me.

I praised him and told him how good he was, and we walked back home. He was huffing and puffing, with that tail of his straight in the air like a victory flag flying high, so proud of himself.

I was just so happy he came back I just hugged him up in a big old towel and we went on upstairs to bed.

Life in the country is fun. But tonight we take the long leash for our late night before we go to bed walk....

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Freaqin Awesome. I am currently "loosing my mind" trying to train my chiuahua, she only about 6 months old, and I have never trained a dog. PM me if you feel like answering a million questions..
Oh, and I have learned first hand, my baby girl will protect me from "the boogy man in the speaker at wendy's", I thought she was gonna rip the drive throu attendants throat out...You know how tough Chihuahas are..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take her to a puppy class at your local pet store. Decent training for you & the dog at a decent price most of the time. The best benefit is socializing your dog with people & dogs.

The most important part is consistency. ALWAYS follow through. Never give in and just let them get away with not complying (once they learn a command)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You smelling what I'm smelling ?
I'm not sure about how things work in the rural Midwest or up north in Michigan, but down here in the Southland our swamp donkeys start growing antlers in mid-March to early April, depending on how soon Spring arrives with added sunlight. We had a very mild winter and these deer are not under much hunting pressure (private land) so they usually grow nice racks.

This buck was already at six points in velvet (counted when he was swimming away).

So maybe where you boys live, deer aren't racking up much yet - dunno. Never hunted there. Not into blizzards, really.

But down here, where the winters are mild and vegetation is lush and plentiful, they are all sporting racks....

And if you are trying to imply a buck in velvet won't lay his ears back and lower his rack charging a dog or coyote, you need to stalk more....

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm not sure about how things work in the rural Midwest or up north in Michigan, but down here in the Southland our swamp donkeys start growing antlers in mid-March to early April, depending on how soon Spring arrives with added sunlight. We had a very mild winter and these deer are not under much hunting pressure (private land) so they usually grow nice racks.

This buck was already at six points in velvet (counted when he was swimming away).

So maybe where you boys live, deer aren't racking up much yet - dunno. Never hunted there. Not into blizzards, really.

But down here, where the winters are mild and vegetation is lush and plentiful, they are all sporting racks....

And if you are trying to imply a buck in velvet won't lay his ears back and lower his rack charging a dog or coyote, you need to stalk more....
Yep, saw a buck and two does this morning....he's gonna make a nice rack when he's finished out.

And my baby.....

11292012 New Camera Photos 084.JPG

She's one of the family, fierce, loyal and protective! 9 year old female

·
Registered
285 Posts
Man! I love the Labs. One of the most beautiful and loyal breeds. My first Golden Retriever was a field champ but the two I have now are useless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts