Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The universal picture, image, or anything else you see about preppers, they are wearing a gasmask. Do most preppers know how to properly use one? Do most know what they will and will not protect you against? How many filters do most people have to go with the mask? Just curious, if you have all of the protective measures needed for protecting yourself from everything other than CS tear gas....Just wondering what other people think about this...

·
Registered
50 Posts
The universal picture, image, or anything else you see about preppers, they are wearing a gasmask. Do most preppers know how to properly use one? Do most know what they will and will not protect you against? How many filters do most people have to go with the mask? Just curious, if you have all of the protective measures needed for protecting yourself from everything other than CS tear gas....Just wondering what other people think about this...
I don't know much about the 'gas mask' type itself (for tear gas) but I know A LOT about respirators. Most, with the exception of SCBA or airline respirators (which have their own drawbacks) are only good for certain items that you are trying to protect against. Even then, you need to fit-test in most cases, unless you have a positive-pressure respirator which gives you a little more leeway. Very few (with the exception of SCBA and possibly airline) will protect against low oxygen levels.

In other words, just blindly buying any old respiratory protection isn't wise- unless you know and buy something for the things you are trying to protect against.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll ask my NBC guy next time I see him. I know the standard filter that comes with the issued gas mask is good for a couple of go arounds with cs gas. Have to get the specs for the nastier stuff.

·
Registered
365 Posts
People buy those gas masks off ebay not realizing that the filters expire (and I would venture to say that 99 percent of them sold already are expired).
Most of the israeli masks sold come with the std 40mm filter and, when a few years expired, become toxic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts