Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a really good reminder the other day that I'd like to pass along. I'm sure you're all aware of this but I think it's good to remind ourselves of it over and over again.

No amount of "stuff" can compensate for a lack of training. And a functional skill set can get us through even if we don't have any stuff at all.

This is something (good) firearms instructors constantly emphasize: it doesn't matter how fancy your gun is if you don't know how to use it.

And this is perhaps most important when it comes to wilderness survival skills, because the ability to survive in the wild is vastly more dependent on know-how than on tools - and any tool can be produced in the wild as long as you know how. Plus stored food is extremely limited compared to the ability to replenish one's food supply.

So folks, when investing in preparedness, make sure to invest in training as well as supplies! And don't neglect your skill set because most skills are perishable and all require "dirt time" (ie practice). Get together regularly with friends to practice survival skills, medical skills, and self-defense training. Make games out of survival and awareness skills that you can play with your children. In our busy lives its just so easy to let these things slip.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
it doesn't matter how fancy your gun is if you don't know how to use it.

My position is why do all of the up-and-coming self defense guys assume we need guns? Nothing like firing six shots into a saloon and getting dragged off by the police for attempted murder.

Getting my knife requires two moves, and lots of times just one move. Guys with guns usually have five moves, and that means it might take six moves if Kid Shelleen fumbles like most of the other guys.

Frankly, most of the guys who "want guns" go to a retail store or a seller using his home. There is usually little if any training, and if any is presented, its a skimpy pamphlet dating back to the 1940s.

I had several cops who were my friends and saw to it that I knew which end was "up." Revolvers were left open after their rounds were fired, and/or my magazines were removed and the slide locked open.

I trained hard, but I learned one thing. Attacks are usually less than seven feet from you. If your firearm is strapped down you're going to take several wallops. I leave my firearm holstered if it's just an idiot with a big mouth. But if I see some clothing being moved I just pull my carefully polished knife. Your average tough guy fears being cut up in a number of delicate places...

BTW, ask you police trainer or paid officer for the latest rules, laws and procedures.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
I understand where you are coming from...

but having lots of stuff (food and water) will allow you time

starvation or dying from thirst will kill you regardless of how well trained you are

and realistically... if you have a bunch of food and stuff.. the only skill you need is knowing how to defend it.... unless you plan on bugging out of becoming a scavenger

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
Having a skill will make you comodity. Some skills appear to be worth more than others. Example: the skill of a farmer will be worth more than the skill of a doctor, until the farmer gets hurt or becomes ill. Being well rounded in many skills makes you worth more. Unfortunately, it appears the takes many, many years.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Having a skill will make you comodity. Some skills appear to be worth more than others. Example: the skill of a farmer will be worth more than the skill of a doctor, until the farmer gets hurt or becomes ill. Being well rounded in many skills makes you worth more. Unfortunately, it appears the takes many, many years.
which skill will you allow others to use.

some of ya all will not trade a bullet, cigarettes, or alcohol because the person you trade with might come back and kill you...

so what skill will you share

·
Registered
244 Posts
truth!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts