Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't expect 3 square meals a day in a SHFT scenario especially if you need to bug out. We are talking survival here. Practical, nutritious, light weight, simple and makes 2 ½ to 3 times its weight when prepared and can feed several people several times, just heat and eat. Not bulky 1 meal pre, 1 person expensive MRE's. listen to the points and tell me if you agree or disagree.

P.S. actually watch the video if you plan on correcting me, several times I have fellow preppers give me solutions that I ALREADY mentioned in videos. Its surprising to me the same people who are supposed looking ahead at all the problems are the usually short sighted when it comes to new ideas or improvised ideas, and rarely listen to what you have to say before telling you their solution.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The problem with this food choice is
1. It needs to be cooked, and that may not be possible.
2. The calories per pound is reasonable but lacks a LOT of needed minerals and vitamins.
3. The nutritional content is also very low.

For example 1 serving of the rice he shows has 200 calories in a half cup, which is about 9 servings in a pound for a total of 1800 calories per pound, about 1 days ration. But in the 1800 calories you get no vitamin A, C, B6, E, B12, niacin, riboflavin, the point is bring some big multivitamins, you will need them.

I like to promote these

Emergency Supplies - 2400 Calorie Emergency Food Bar

They keep in all climates, give you portions that can change with exertion, non thirst provoking, 18 ounce bar is 2400 calories broken into 6 sections. The whole package is about 4x6 inches and 1 inch thick so it's easy to fit several into your pack.

Plus at $4 each they are very affordable.

Getting back to the video, beans are similar to rice for nutrition, the pasta is a joke, no serious but out bag would carry pasta as a staple for weight vs nutrition.

Also you don't have to have water at a full boil for 10 minutes to purify it, water at 160 degrees which is just steaming is more than sufficient for 4-5 minutes.

·
9,020 Posts
The US Army Survival manual says "boil for 1 minute at sea level, adding 1 minute for each additional 1000 feet above sea level, or boil for 10 minutes no matter where you are". I'd rather be safe than fight dysentery, and a whole bunch of other nasties. There are a lot of nasties that live in near boiling water.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The US Army Survival manual says "boil for 1 minute at sea level, adding 1 minute for each additional 1000 feet above sea level, or boil for 10 minutes no matter where you are". I'd rather be safe than fight dysentery, and a whole bunch of other nasties. There are a lot of nasties that live in near boiling water.
Makes sense to me, since I live about 5k feet I am used to my area and that is where I get the 5 minutes I mentioned, thank you for clearing that up and making it make more sense. I am guessing they say "boil" as it is easier to verify the temperature as being over 160 degrees than trying to explain what 160 degrees looks like.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Lotsa idiots making videos out there.

Heating water is probably one of the least practical ways to treat water. Lots of dated information out there. You need to heat it above 160 degrees. Just bringing it to a boil will do this.

Beans take a long time to cook even if soaked before hand. Not a good BOB food.

A multi-vitamin will take care of most micro-nutrient deficiencies, as mentioned.

Something on the order of 2000 cal/day and 50 grams protein is a good goal to shoot for at about 100 calories/ounce. This will amount to 1 1/2 0 2 lbs food/day.

Stuff from the grocery store that work: Peanut butter, quick oats, raisins, instant mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, Knorr rice sides, Spam singles, candy bars, peanuts (any kind of nuts),foil tuna packs (yuk), foil chicken packs (yum), ramen.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with this food choice is
1. It needs to be cooked, and that may not be possible.
2. The calories per pound is reasonable but lacks a LOT of needed minerals and vitamins.
3. The nutritional content is also very low.

For example 1 serving of the rice he shows has 200 calories in a half cup, which is about 9 servings in a pound for a total of 1800 calories per pound, about 1 days ration. But in the 1800 calories you get no vitamin A, C, B6, E, B12, niacin, riboflavin, the point is bring some big multivitamins, you will need them.

I like to promote these

Emergency Supplies - 2400 Calorie Emergency Food Bar

They keep in all climates, give you portions that can change with exertion, non thirst provoking, 18 ounce bar is 2400 calories broken into 6 sections. The whole package is about 4x6 inches and 1 inch thick so it's easy to fit several into your pack.

Plus at $4 each they are very affordable.

Getting back to the video, beans are similar to rice for nutrition, the pasta is a joke, no serious but out bag would carry pasta as a staple for weight vs nutrition.

Also you don't have to have water at a full boil for 10 minutes to purify it, water at 160 degrees which is just steaming is more than sufficient for 4-5 minutes.
1. the items are cooked already, you need to add hot water and wait 10 mins

2. I said I sometimes eat chow mein but pull the veggie pack to throw into the rice and bean combo

3. Its survival food for a few days, it will fill you up and it may not have everything you need to live on but it will hold you for an emergency, like I said in the vid there will be no 3 quare meals a day not even close but it will take care of you and several other for a few day as a last resort if you need to bug out

4. it is recommended boil water for a hard boil for the most extreme circumstances but why chance it? there are few things worse than drinking contaminated water, this will kill you and it is really, really gonna hurt. better safe than sorry

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lotsa idiots making videos out there.

Heating water is probably one of the least practical ways to treat water. Lots of dated information out there. You need to heat it above 160 degrees. Just bringing it to a boil will do this.

Beans take a long time to cook even if soaked before hand. Not a good BOB food.

A multi-vitamin will take care of most micro-nutrient deficiencies, as mentioned.

Something on the order of 2000 cal/day and 50 grams protein is a good goal to shoot for at about 100 calories/ounce. This will amount to 1 1/2 0 2 lbs food/day.

Stuff from the grocery store that work: Peanut butter, quick oats, raisins, instant mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, Knorr rice sides, Spam singles, candy bars, peanuts (any kind of nuts),foil tuna packs (yuk), foil chicken packs (yum), ramen.
idiots? its called survival man, something to get you by for a few days. also from a stream hell yeah boil it you will run out of filters, drops or tablets think simplicity. and it is all PRE COOKED so add hot water when you boil water. how much stuff do you think you can carry? why dont you run miles with a backpack full of wieghts to get an idea of what it might come to. I run a few miles with a wieght vest and I'll tell you you cannot carry much. instand potatoes take up alot of room, ramen? relly from the guy talking about nutrient deficiencies? and peanuts most people will carry salty planters or some crap. whos the idiot here we are talking about bugging out for a few days to get from point A to point B. I know i can make it a few days without vitamins or even food if need be. i think survival not 5 star, 3 course meals. I'll eat bugs if I have to

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
A BOB needs to meet your needs to get from point A to point B. Point B shouldn't be further then one tank of fuel can take you. The BOB is incase you have to make part of the trip on foot.

·
Registered
966 Posts
idiots? its called survival man, something to get you by for a few days. also from a stream hell yeah boil it you will run out of filters, drops or tablets think simplicity. and it is all PRE COOKED so add hot water when you boil water. how much stuff do you think you can carry? why dont you run miles with a backpack full of wieghts to get an idea of what it might come to. I run a few miles with a wieght vest and I'll tell you you cannot carry much. instand potatoes take up alot of room, ramen? relly from the guy talking about nutrient deficiencies? and peanuts most people will carry salty planters or some crap. whos the idiot here we are talking about bugging out for a few days to get from point A to point B. I know i can make it a few days without vitamins or even food if need be. i think survival not 5 star, 3 course meals. I'll eat bugs if I have to
I lived out of a pack for 5 1/2 months last year and walked more than 2,000 miles doing it. All the foods I listed were very calorie dense and easy to cook.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im sure you filled that pack more times than you can count, that was a different senario and think your gotta be a tough SOB to do 1000's of miles out of a pack. I'm not disputing nutrition or the need for calories to be able to maintain physical endurance. My whole point was to get from A to B with enough to hold me and a few other for a few day assuming I couldn't catch any fish or amimals quick, heat and eat with little to no prep work with leftovers that wont spoil hours later assuming there are leftovers not recommended but wont turn to poison. I'd rather be same than sorry

·
9,020 Posts
I agree, while pills are great, a body also needs fiber (beans), one of the reasons they are good food in the long haul. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but when I created my BOB, I set it up to take care of me for the 3 days or so that I might need to bug out and get to my BOL. In my area (for now) water is not a big deal, so won't carry a lot of water and besides packing 8 pounds per gallon per day for 3 days for wife and me is 24 pounds I can do without.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not quite sure of the hostility the OP received on this topic. I've seen absurd ideas being praised while this one is viable. Bill some water, put some precooked and dried goods in a thermos or other container, and hour water and wait. Thanks for sharing. pack some multi vitamins for much needed nutrients and a water filter to get rid of silt before boiling, good to go.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I lived out of a pack for 5 1/2 months last year and walked more than 2,000 miles doing it. All the foods I listed were very calorie dense and easy to cook.
What trail? A good friend of mine did the PCT in 2012.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't completely agree with the video. But, I will agree that MRE's can be bulky...but they are NOT bad for you. They are high in calories and fat...which is needed in a survival situation.

I agree with the common thoughts here...a BOB should have 3-5 days worth of food and the ability to cook and maintain personal sanitation on top of lots of water/water purification ability.

Once you reach your more permanent location...fishing and hunting should begin rather quickly. The food materials in your BOB shuold be restocked in case you have to bug out again. This is why MRE's aren't the greatest. Once you eat them, they're gone. So the ability to create other "long-term" suvival food is a good skill to have.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My preference for short term, like a get home bag is a few cliff bars. Energy dense, good balance of fats and nutrients. Stable protiens. Light weight. No cook/prep.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like what you are trying to do here, and I agree with Vagabond, the hostility isn't nessicary. I have found out a few things about the stuff you mentioned as survival food, number one is do not count on top ramen to save your life unless you want to die of scurvy, I know someone personally who was hospitalized cause top ramen was all he ate in college. So please, just don't do it, I agree with you on the peanut butter kits, but disagree with you at the same time. I personally carry a medium sized jar of peanut butter as bate for the middle of my squirrel pole. If you have wire snares it is a lazy way to get free meat and skins usable for moccasins.
I would like to point out two things about your thread, one, water is the only thing you need for rice, try it at home, sit some rice in a cup of water and given time it will grow soft and edible, that is something you can do while still moving down the trail or heck while sleeping at night. I personally made my own MREs at a winco.... Not sure if you all have those where you are but costco and the like works too. One of the sides is enough powdered mash potatoes and powdered vegan chilli mix to fill my gullet by itself. I also have veggie packets and two serving bullion cubes along with rice noodles dehydrated pineapple and some rice crackers. That is just the basic meal that I add to as my pallet tells me I need to. So, for those of you interested it doesn't take a whole lot to do it, electric dehydrater and a vacuum sealer will make you light weight and small while filling portable trail food. Also there are recipes for trail bars out there made from home, as well as biomass water filters. Knowing how to make those means I only need two water bottles oxygen tubing and mother freaking nature besides my pack. Live and learn, then learn to live. Rather than arguing try asking questions of the man and studying for yourself. Also, for those of you who have been lucky enough never to know, after a month and a half of eating MREs you will squat the golden brick. If you are not careful, suffice to say there is a reason there is laxatives in that gum. I like my home made MRE because it only requires water, not even hot water. And if I cannot procure water in my state, then shame on me. I have two aluminum canteens and fire so I have no excuse :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
I keep some parched corn, rockahominy and pemmican in my BOB, but I use my BOB as my trail pack, so food items get consumed and replaced within a few weeks. I used the parched corn for snacking while on the move, the rockahominy and pemmican for my main meals.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I like roy's list -I also carry some multivitamins and have been known to drop a ensure or two in my bag if you have kids pediasure is good too.
for short term 1-3 days I can go without food to get home-but I always have some water. a medium term length maybe 2-3 weeks as long as I get 1 decent meal a day I'm good.
I think that we put way to much into on food we carry out in the field don't expect to eat like a king and pig out a 3 day set up can last a week maybe more if you know how to make it last.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts