Discussion Starter #1
Well it appears I have sold my Bug out Vehicle. My super reliable
Honda Element is about to find a new home and leave me in search of
a replacement. My wifes dad was in to cars and left her a nice Lexus we
will never part with AND we have her commuter car; but now I need to replace
my wheels. I don't have too but I really don't want to bug out to the desert in
a Honda Civic (commuter) or LS400 (dad's 1999). I don't have to do much around
but need a vehicle for the dogs and bugging out. I'm thinking old pick up or
Jeep? Suggestions? What would be EMP ready?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1980 Jeep CJ7, my second in my life and will never part with it again. I like them because they are compact, I can get it in areas a big truck cant. Since its a 80's model 258 straight six, it has no computers, easy to work on myself. They are easily modified for off road, all kinds of extras. So in short I am a Jeep fan, if you can find an older one I would go for it. Just one guys thoughts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
There are trade off in everything, I personally believe if there is a EOTWAWKI I put more weight on having a vehicle that is fuel efficient then the possibly of an EMP that would knock out the computer. If 98% of the cars did stop you wouldn't be able to get around anyway and unable to get gas plus having one of the only running vehicles would make you an easy target.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Old Diesel Truck
Or a duce and a half.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Just gonna reiterate my stance that EMP is pure bunk. I know systems and there's never been one instance of a car being disabled by a naturally occurring EMP event. People talk about carrington etc but those events happened when we were still working with steam engines and wire lines nailed to boards. This meteor that detonated over Russia, that caused an obvious emp (it was rated over like ten nuclear bombs) and nothing went down. Plenty of windows to fix but that's abut it. Me, I am more worried about gasoline and parts.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Pickup truck. Dogs love them. Put a camper shell on it, one with screened vent windows. Can sleep inside if you need to, keeps you and the dogs out of the weather. Haul stuff.

I get 19.6 mpg combined with my pickup truck, 22 mpg highway. And it will tow trailers, boats, other vehicles. etc.

I will always have a pickup truck, no matter what other cars I own. Because my dogs would not have it any other way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts