Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to wait until after vacation, but with "the current state of affairs", I am going to purchase my next two peices of survival equipement.\
A new Ruger 10/22, basic edition, with a nice optic....
And a bolt action rifle with good optics, probably a 30.06..
I will try to get them both before the end of the month, Petersons in Albuquerque has some nice pieces, but I will try for new on the ruger and try to find a "nice tight actioned rifle with decent trigger", and add my own optics..
UNLESS, one of you fine readers has a good bolt action long range rifle you wanna part with?????
I have decided to quicken these purchases due to a lot of things, but mostly becouse I feel that the crap starting in florida may be just enough for potus to enact "his way" to fix our problems, besides, its investing in precious metals right?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If I was starting today I would choose the 308 too but when I was 18 and my dad gave me that old '06 I was the happiest man on earth.
I still remember the day it arrived and how he took it completely down to clean the cosmoline out of it. I watched him make the stock and hand rub boiled linseed oil into it for weeks.
After I got it I fired it for years just as he finished it but when my eyes couldn't use the military sights anymore I had a scope mounted, turned bolt handle Timney trigger and safety installed.
with all that I still shoot 5/8" groups at 100 yards but at least now I can see where I am pointing it.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
With the Ruger 10/22 I would opt for the bull barrel. It will add a little weight but makes up for it in accuracy.. If you can't tell, I am a very big fan of bull barrel rifles.. Almost every one of my rifles are bull barrel except for a few of our ar's

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I shoot smallbore silhouette with a group of guys and all but two are using the 10/22 - most are modified. They tell me the two things that the 10/22 needs is a good barrel and a good trigger. The rest is for appearance (and intimidation I think) They have some very nice looking guns and from a rest (not allowed in competition) they shoot very well.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Just in case no one mentioned it, . . . the 10/22 comes in a take down model now.

I haven't seen or shot one, . . . but my son has "mentioned" several times that they are available, . . . nice, . . . inexpensive, . . . fun, . . . etc.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Sir, Dwight, I saw the takedown, and its pretty sweet, I personally think that the extra money for th e takedown and the backpack it comes with will be better spent on a nice optic. but it looks cool, I have yet to shoot/play with a take down.
Another question for everyone, how much does a bull barrel "sweeten" the deal? I would be using the Ruger with scope to procure small game and "deflate tires" if need be. How much extra precision/ versus price I guess Im asking.
And I would love a 700, I am not sold completely on a 30.06, just the fact that whatever I get needs to be my "reach out there" rifle.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yes, Sir, Dwight, I saw the takedown, and its pretty sweet, I personally think that the extra money for th e takedown and the backpack it comes with will be better spent on a nice optic. but it looks cool, I have yet to shoot/play with a take down.
Another question for everyone, how much does a bull barrel "sweeten" the deal? I would be using the Ruger with scope to procure small game and "deflate tires" if need be. How much extra precision/ versus price I guess Im asking.
And I would love a 700, I am not sold completely on a 30.06, just the fact that whatever I get needs to be my "reach out there" rifle.
You can find a nice used 10/22 w a bull barrel for not much more than a regular barrel if you look around and it will make up for it in accuracy..I can hit a nickel at 75-100yds all day long..
As for your reach out and touch someone rifle.. The 30-06 is a good round.. I just prefer the .308 and ammo would be much easier to find in a shtf situation I believe.. Here is one I think you will like Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD ? Long-Range Setup and Review I am a fan of fast twist rate bull barrels and this one is a good starting point.. I have seen them go for less than $650 new...You can find them with good optics for $750 if you look around..It gives you plenty of room to customize to your liking too...

·
Registered
257 Posts
My brother-in-law has a 10/22 takedown, it shot and behaved just the same as my dad's old 10/22. My dad also has an old 700 in a .308, I love that thing to death. He was given it when he was 17, it was used then, and it's a lot more used today! It's a workhorse, and such a great shooter. I was hoping to get one this past spring, but my funds were a little short so I went with a Ruger American in a .308. Good budget rifle. My next purchases will be a pump action 20 gauge, and a Ruger 10/22. If I can find a good deal on one with a bull barrel, I'll take it. I personally haven't ever even shot a rifle with a bull barrel before, but I've had them recommended to me by different, reliable people.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
have you loked at henry repeating arms? they have this model that the barrel everything fits in the composit stock. i just dont know anything about this company/ brand.

i love the 10/22s i have a couple and am very pleased with them. i thinks its a great choice.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
have you loked at henry repeating arms? they have this model that the barrel everything fits in the composit stock. i just dont know anything about this company/ brand.

i love the 10/22s i have a couple and am very pleased with them. i thinks its a great choice.
Henry is an excellent rifle that has been around many years and is still made in the USA!! I have a few of their rifles and have no complaints at all.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can find a nice used 10/22 w a bull barrel for not much more than a regular barrel if you look around and it will make up for it in accuracy..I can hit a nickel at 75-100yds all day long..
As for your reach out and touch someone rifle.. The 30-06 is a good round.. I just prefer the .308 and ammo would be much easier to find in a shtf situation I believe.. Here is one I think you will like Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD ? Long-Range Setup and Review I am a fan of fast twist rate bull barrels and this one is a good starting point.. I have seen them go for less than $650 new...You can find them with good optics for $750 if you look around..It gives you plenty of room to customize to your liking too...
Man, that is one damn beautiful gun. Stupid work computer "flagged" that site, so I had to just look it up, and damn, Buds has one with a scope for under 650. And I have a "25%"off offer from buds.....
Shot lady, I have shot one of those, I thought itwas great, and loved the fact that it all stows away, but I wanna "big" scope, so I can hit a squirrell or rabbit (windshields and tires) from a good hideeyhole..But they are awesome for backpackers and us.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, the Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle. Semi-Auto 8 shot, magazine fed. The gun breaks down and the barrel, receiver, and 2 8 round mags fit in the hollow plastic stock. All sealed up, it's supposed to float in water for at least a little while. I've looked into them, you can find them for $300 or less. Definitely on my "want" list!

Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I love my Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .308, which has a 26" heavy barrel.

The stock was kinda bendy, so I replaced mine with a Choate light tactical stock, which has full aluminum bedding blocks and free floats the barrel. I added a Weaver 20 MOA mount, Weaver 6 hole 30mm low tactical rings, and the Falcon Menace 5.5 - 25 X 50mm Tactical scope with the M-16 reticle and tac turrets that are 1/10 mil per click. This scope is rugged, reasonably priced, and comes with flip up covers and a sun shade.

If you are going with a variable power optic, you definitely want to look at a front focal plane reticle if you intend to use it for range estimation. With 2nd focal plane reticle, the mil (or MOA) graduations are only accurate at one specific zoom, with a FFP scope, you can range at any zoom level. (You probably know this, but others might not)

The only downside is that, with the 26" heavy barrel and Choate stock, it's not exactly a light rifle. This helps a little on the shooting side but it feels like you're lugging a small cannon around.

Anywho, that's my 3 cents.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
As far as I am concerned, if you are just going to shoot 1 or 2 rounds while hunting, the heavy barrel UNsweetens the deal because it's a lot heavier to carry. Heavy barrels hold point of impact better during sustained fire, so if you want to be able to lay down some accurate long range fire without your point of impact walking all over the place, the bull barrel is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
As far as I am concerned, if you are just going to shoot 1 or 2 rounds while hunting, the heavy barrel UNsweetens the deal because it's a lot heavier to carry. Heavy barrels hold point of impact better during sustained fire, so if you want to be able to lay down some accurate long range fire without your point of impact walking all over the place, the bull barrel is the way to go.
Bull barrels are more accurate whether it be one shot or 100 rounds.. That's why most snipers use the bull barrel. Now, if you are going to use it to shoot squirrels once a week, the accuracy you get from it wont matter much due to the weight of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Bull barrels are some kind of an erotic trigger for me, lol. Seriously, I have some kind of internal chemical reaction when I see a bull barrel and get all euphoric, and stuff.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in I guess. First of all in a centerfire bolt action, if I were buying a new rifle I would look long and hard at the Ruger American in .308 Win. Really when it comes down to it there's very little the .30-06 can do that a .308 can't. As far as the benefits of a bull barrel, I would consider it's intended purpose before I considered investing in a heavy barreled rifle. If you plan on carrying the rifle any sort of distance I wouldn't invest in a heavy barreled rifle. If you plan on bugging in and keeping the wolves at bay with the rifle and can see yourself laying down any volume of fire then a heavy barrel will be the way to go. Heavy barrels dissipate heat better and are generally less prone to harmonics issues that plague light barreled sporter rifles (Remington 700 mountain rifle and early Mini-14s come to mind). You could possibly find a medium contour barreled rifle that would give you the best of both world or maybe a fluted heavy barrel which would add stiffness to the barrel and give more surface area to dissipate heat quicker while still being a bit lighter than a standard heavy barrel.

You'd be hard pressed to beat the 10/22 and I'm a believer that everyone should have at least one. I would look for a used one if you can find one reasonably priced and then put a quality barrel and new parts in the trigger group. You can do all the work yourself no gunsmith required even for the barrel swap. If you'd rather, you could just swap out the whole trigger group for a drop in kit, just make sure you hold on the original parts in case you need to send the rifle back to Ruger, you'll need to swap the factory parts back in before shipping other wise you'll end up getting your rifle back with all your modifications removed.

No matter what you decide, post some pictures when you get them and give us a range report.

-Infidel

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Being 6 feet tall and 230 ish, having been 418 pounds, I really have no issues with the weight of a rifle. Just the functionality/ economics value, I am texting a friend right now about his 10/22, I have shot his "tricked out" 10/22, but dont remember seeing his factory stock one. I will keep everyone updated, and now my vacation may be changed from an all out family vacation to me just going by myself, I really need to visit my grandma...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts