Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading BigDogBuck's thread about what this forum means to him. I concur with him. And I thought maybe we could try to have a gathering - like the rendezvous the old 1840's trapper and mountainmen had each year. We could find a central place where whoever can make it, would come to camp, swap fish tales, and just generally put faces and hand shakes to the names we have here.

I feel as if I know so many of you so well. We could stay at a national or state or county park. I don't mind spear-heading this, if anyone is interested. I know everyone couldn't make it. But think how much fun it would be...

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We're game. What part of the country and when? - Personally, I would favor the Ozarks. (I write this without having even mentioning it to Mrs Inor, but I am sure I can get her to tag along to anywhere except the coasts.) - Mrs Inor just chimed in: she suggests somewhere in OK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Some time around spring break would be great. Wife and I could get some time off bring the kids mak a mini vaca outta it. Live in kansas so am pretty central ozarks is pretty country that time of year. But any local would be great

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd definitely consider it if this happened! I'd even help with registration/name tags, etc. since I've put together multiple medical conferences before!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Name tags are my single greatest fear in life, so I'll have to pass on those. Sticky little hello.... shudder... anyways, depending on how much time we have to prepare and what not, we would definitely give it some heavy consideration!

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, I'd just use our forum 'handles'......so we could put face to names; I'd use those little sticky ones that could easily be replaced.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I was just reading BigDogBuck's thread about what this forum means to him. I concur with him. And I thought maybe we could try to have a gathering - like the rendezvous the old 1840's trapper and mountainmen had each year. We could find a central place where whoever can make it, would come to camp, swap fish tales, and just generally put faces and hand shakes to the names we have here.

I feel as if I know so many of you so well. We could stay at a national or state or county park. I don't mind spear-heading this, if anyone is interested. I know everyone couldn't make it. But think how much fun it would be...
That's actually a very good idea, yet why a single event? In the early days (Pre Y2K) I'd have said, no way. There wasn't enough interest or people. These days the prepping/survivalist community has grown to a size that there are enough people prepping or interested in prepping that, an enterprising individual could host prepping shows or rendezvous. Similar to the way gun shows are promoted. Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised this isn't happening.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
That's actually a very good idea, yet why a single event? In the early days (Pre Y2K) I'd have said, no way. There wasn't enough interest or people. These days the prepping/survivalist community has grown to a size that there are enough people prepping or interested in prepping that, an enterprising individual could host prepping shows or rendezvous. Similar to the way gun shows are promoted. Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised this isn't happening.
I think the idea here is not a show but a meet and greet. It's a chance to meet the people we have been talking to on this site. Maybe a show might not be a bad idea at some point but that is not what I will be going for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agreed - start it out with a chance to camp for a weekend, do a 'meet & greet', swap tall tails and drink some beer. Show makes it too commercial for my taste, at least in starting out.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
We are too spread out for a meet and greet to have much of a hope of gathering up more than a handful of people. I'd like to go, heck I love to go to what's being suggested there is just now way I could, unless it was local. I've seen this suggested before, typically only a handful of people show up and they are local or within driving distance.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Sounds Great!!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
This sounds fun as hell. But do any of you have any experience planning something like out? I do not have the slightest idea how to begin. I would suggest something in the central U.S. - Missouri or Arkansas, etc. because it is centrally located, but I would be open to any area except New England. (Too big a hassle travelling around New England.)

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
Maybe we could talk to Nat Geo and they could sponsor it. They could have it in Hawaii, and pick up the tab for all of us. Wise food could sponsor luaus every night with their foods as the side dishes.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Maybe we could talk to Nat Geo and they could sponsor it. They could have it in Hawaii, and pick up the tab for all of us. Wise food could sponsor luaus every night with their foods as the side dishes.
Great idea! It could be like a NASCAR event for Preppers - complete with the shirtless bimbos in the infield! WOO HOO!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
We are iced in for the day so I am having to actually talk to DW. She liked the idea if its in OK or the Ozarks. We are in the TX panhandle. Her comment was what if we meet and we all turn out like the loonys on Doomsday Preppers. Told her we were all more than likely CHL holders so at least there have been background checks. LOL We will be checking back on this!! Sounds fun. Also full hookup camper spaces would be a must. Too old for primative unless SHTF.

·
Super Moderator
9,646 Posts
This sounds fun as hell. But do any of you have any experience planning something like out? I do not have the slightest idea how to begin. I would suggest something in the central U.S. - Missouri or Arkansas, etc. because it is centrally located, but I would be open to any area except New England. (Too big a hassle travelling around New England.)
Not really that much to plan. Find a spot, see if it's agreeable to most, check the cost and see about reserving x amount of spots. Many State and National Parks allow tents, campers and RV's on most spots.

We are iced in for the day so I am having to actually talk to DW. She liked the idea if its in OK or the Ozarks. We are in the TX panhandle. Her comment was what if we meet and we all turn out like the loonys on Doomsday Preppers. Told her we were all more than likely CHL holders so at least there have been background checks. LOL We will be checking back on this!! Sounds fun. Also full hookup camper spaces would be a must. Too old for primative unless SHTF.
I'm with you. I will be renting a pop-up or a small RV. Too old to be sleeping on the ground

1 - 20 of 213 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.