Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

The Future of Generations and Society

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  WildBear 
#1 ·
On the Doomsday preppers show, the California man with the crocodile dundee hat made a statement about how the local "thugs" were celebrating because of a ballgame win. You could see the look on his face, and feel the disgust in his voice when he made this statement. This prompted me to write about an observation I made back in December.

A few months ago, I attended the midnight release at our local gamestop of Modern Warfare 3 (MW3). I was shocked to see the line of 300 plus people outside the store, wrapped around the back and sides. Around 40 degrees out, the kids were wearing shorts, screaming at others “teen” stuff, fighting, cussing loudly, and throwing things. As I waited and moved up to the other store fronts, I could see broken glass of one of the stores. I’m assuming this was caused by pushing/shoving each other into the window. The streets were littered with pizza boxes, Jolt/Amp/RedBull drinks as well. Kids were cutting lines and the parents were sitting back watching this go on like second nature. Gamestop handled the traffic very well in and out of the stores. I was very pleased with their management.

Where has this world gone with respect for others and their property? If I acted like that at that age, my parents would have thrown me in the car and I wouldn’t have seen a video game again for life! Don’t get me wrong, I have had my fair share of destructive incidents, but I had paid dearly for them (mainly from being caught), but to do this in front of the parents? Has the rated M (for mature, violence) games drove kids to do destructive things? I think not, since I know several kids that play the game and wouldn’t act this way. I think it’s your next X generation thinking they are entitled to this behavior regardless of what they play; it’s just going to be this way or worse. Call me old if you will.

As an observer of this nature, I noticed two police cars finally pulled up after the two fist fights that broke out. Does it take city authority to stop this type of behavior, when it could have been avoided by the parents simply holding the child’s hand in the line? The “Human inhabitants” of this Earth have gone to shit. Hopefully I will be long gone when the SHTF. Its just going to get worse. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I know exactly how you feel.(getting old, just ask my kids). I see small children in public that show no respect, (let alone fear of punishment) to their parents or any adult for that manner. It is as if parents just don't care any more. Makes me sick at my stomach to think of what are society has become. Don't get me wrong, there are still good kids out there. They are just a small minority! I got my share of whoopins growing up and am a better person for it. I'm sorry but a "time out" just isn't going to cut it! :(

#3 ·
I agree 100% with both of you. I think there are 2 versions of parents. Those who don't care, and those who are afraid to discipline their children. Then there are the single parents that work 2-3 jobs to keep food on the table and children are left unsupervised.
My father was a very strong disciplinarian. I didn't appreciate the methods, but I do appreciate the lessons.
People often told me, when my children were young, how polite and thoughtful my children were. Their teachers would say, what a pleasure it was to have them in their class.
When we moved to New Mexico, one counselor was going to call child protection because she thought we were too formal. Because the boys referred to older personnel as Mrs. Jane or Mr. John. Because they said yes m'am and yes sir. I couldn't believe it. Calling child protection because my children showed respect.
They are grown now, but my youngest who is 18, came home from his friends house the other day and told me how grateful he was that I didn't spoil him. On several occasions he has said that if he ever talked to me the way his friends talk to their parents, he didn't know what might happen to him.
The greatest compliment was when my oldest son had his first child, he said he would raise him like he was was raised.
They all refer to me as a "Recycled Teenager". I love it.

#4 ·
My kids, if I ever have any, are going to military schools. The only place where the foundation is respect for superiors and discipline. Kids these days do not give to craps about punishment because if you lay a finger on them they know they have the upper hand with the law.

#6 ·
A big part of it is nowadays many kids don't have any responsibilities, other than attending school. I think that if society treats kids (even up to 17-18) like children, they are going to act like children; I don't lay most of the blame on these kids, but on the Dr. Spock nanny-parenting style many kids are growing up with now. In the 30's, kids as young as 4-5 had chores and things they were required to do around their homes/farms. At 9, they were driving farm equipment and working a full day if they weren't in school, and a half day if they were. At 13 you were pretty close to being a man/woman, and so you developed respect and understood discipline a whole lot better than those growing up in this generation. The area I live in has lots of farms where work is still taught early, and I've met many sons and daughters who would never consider acting out like those in the OP's original post and most still say sir and ma'am. I think if we get away from the notion that a child is not an adult (and hence, not capable of making good choices) until 18, this problem would slowly fix itself. I'm a firm believer that if you treat your child with trust, respect and discipline, you can get them to grow up well even in the world we live in.

#7 ·
I was at golden corral tonight. They have those new chocolate fountains where you dip strawberries, marshmallows, coconut thingy etc on a stick in. Chocolate fondue is what I think they call them. I really wanted to try it really bad, but when I got up there and was waiting for the kid in front of me (he was about 7 or 8). He was sticking his stick with the marshmallow on it in the fondue, taking it out and eating it right there, and sticking it back into the fondue.

His mother was right behind him watching, laughing. She turned to me with her cackle like there was nothing wrong. Geez! Get some manners people!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.