Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 2nd, 2012 my small hometown was destroyed by a tornado, got bad weather reports that day but nobody expected or was prepared for what come over that small community. I was at a friends home when heard the sounds of sirens and could see the sky twisting on the deck and ran for cover in the basement where less then a minute later it took the roof off and destroyed most of the home and while sitting in the darkness of the basement not knowing if it was a better idea to go outside incase of the ceiling colapse or staying there incase there was more then one tornado and the two things I wanted more then ever at the time was a flashlight and a radio to get a updated weather report, I would of given the stockpile of food and water in the basement for just a flashlight as later that night we were salvaging valueables from the house before being destroyed and also a nail went threw my foot while walking back closer to the town frequently trying to use my cell phone to call family to see if they were ok just to find out cell phones didn't work and didn't work in the town until weeks later but the night of the the tornado the town really pulled togather helping eachother look for loved ones and helping clean up the road for emeregency vehichles but wasn't until the national guard and outsiders came in that the next mess really started pushing people outside of there town and destroyed homes, arrested a few people trying to get into town that night that were pushing there way in to check on family that they havn't heard from but this is getting too long and probably a terible write up just want my last words to be is ALWAYS be prepared, have a plan a,b,c,d....... expect the unexpected and remember your plans change QUICK in any kind of a disaster and if you dont have extra batteries, flashlights, two way radios and fm radios.. go invest now.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum and glad to have you here with us.

Yes sometimes we need a wake up call to remind us that we arent invinsable and things like that dont always happen to someone else. Things like that can really be scary when they happen and make you take stock in life real quick. Glad to hear you made it through though, none the less for wear and tear.

Do feel free to start a lessons learned thread from the expirience, it might help someone here be better prepared in case something like that happens to them! At anyrate hope to see you around and see you often.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow. I have family in Nebraska and I've had to wait out a few tornadoes in a basement. That's some scary stuff to experience first hand. What made me start prepping was not any one thing but the overall political climate of the world. Never before has America been so close to total collapse.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welcome from Nevada. At least your alive and well and able to say you have awaken to the need. Other than a back stock of food, I was one of those who has been slow to wake up. Now trying to make up for lost time.

·
Administrator
14,699 Posts
Welcome from Florida. Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It may have been that horrible experience that got u into prepping but the good news is your safe n healthy n have lots of time to restock. You now have invaluable knowledge of what is paramount for keeping u safe n in touch in an emergency. I agree with a previous post please give some of your insightful suggestions regarding important preps, strategies, suggestions.
Glad your onboard n look forward to your future posts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Georgia and glad that all is well. We had a tornado touch down here yesterday killing one and injuring at least 17 others. Prepping is not always for zombies or the end of the world as we know it, it can also be short term, helping neighbors and friends with what we have prepped for. Just saying......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts