Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen this show? I just watched season 1 and 2 on Netflix. While it's not the best survival show I've seen out there, I still learned quite a bit from it.

I have a new respect for the engineers of the world and the amazing things they are able to create with their talents. Honestly, the show has inspired me to want to take a small engines class and develop my mechanical abilities a bit more.

I also think the show does a great job teaching the importance of banding together with others in a SHTF situation and having a strong security plan in place from day 1. I used to think DH and I could manage on our own, but now I realize I will need to be out in our neighborhood working together with neighbors to keep our community safe and functioning.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
dang looks like i missed yet another good show.i just didnt. to watch things like this will help you understand the hard questions before you ask them and of course whih questions to ask. its a great way to master and consider all variables- make decisions before SHTF. id love to see this series

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, Netflix has both seasons online. Just watching how they built the sand and charcoal filter to purify water was great. It showed people what water looks like pre-filter and post...also explaining that even post filtration, you still should boil it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was watching S1 when it was on the air orginally, but lost interest in it after the good DR went missing (spoiler). But started getting an ep in every now and again between Myh busters/ McGyver/ Star Trek NG/ Far scape/ Survivors/ Outcasts and now the walking dead. Oh and I have watched all the Star gate eps (SG1, SGA and SGU).

I lost interest because it was just not realistic I felt. It was too easy. The Safe Haven was filled with all the stuff they needed. Just too perfect, and they should've bugged out a long time ago.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the shower setup would never work here in Maine. It's cold 10 months of the year here. I suspect we will be doing a lot of 'whore's baths' if the SHTF up here. LOL. Nothing worse than being cold and wet.

Lawnkiller - Yeah, I definitely agree on that front.

Maybe I was just raised to have outdoor skills, but I found it kind of unbelievable that people were starving in season 2 and not going out fishing and trapping more. My butt would have been out there bringing home the food for the group. I got so mad when they set up makeshift fishing lines on the rickety bridge they built. No one thought to go take the lines down during the big storm they had and they all washed away! Definitely not the brightest group I've seen.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I watched the first two seasons live and enjoyed most of it. Some good ideas and some common sense stuff done wrong also. Have to agree I liked the wood gasifier; didn't know you could do that!

1895gunner
I've only seen it done by one other person on Doomsday Preppers - Southerprepper1's engineer friend converted a truck to run on a wood gasifier.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am planning on watching them just for the Info but I do agree it was WAY to easy!

The worst part of it for me is the cast? How AWESOME would it be if when SHTF that the small group happened to have mechanic, handyman, and er nurse, engineer, dr., a martial arts expert and I dont remember the rest but Seriously? Not any bums or gas station attendants maybe a burger king fry guy? lol I dont know all I know is I would be COMPLETELY STOKED to find out the group I ended up with all had a WICKED set of skills? Not 1 just normal person?

Im still going to watch them though because there is some wicked good info there!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I just started watching it... one episode down. Question... this is in LA... a few years ago... I started watching one that took place in an area devastated by a store... close to a swamp and remember the team killing and eating an alligator. This doesn't seem like the same show. Does anyone remember that one? If so... could you shoot me the name?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
OK, So I wrapped up S1 and was kinda let down when I started S2 cause I kinda thought maybe the guy who decided to stay would carry on into the next S2 and start another Colony.

Then S2, the 3 outsiders come and they (the colony ppl) don't do damn thing with security. Meanwhile 2 of the most in shape/hard working guys are sitting around in quaritine. WTF major FAIL!! yes be in Quaritine but be productive. They could go out and work on the perimeter and beef it up (start with shutting the flipping gate!!). Inside, putting the supplies upstairs, Best thing they have done thus far. They should've reinforced the stair well with pallets ect. to slow them down. Put that large gas/fire extingisher at the top and used it when hostiles entered to disorientate them. With all that has happened, I would seal off the first floor completely and build a ladder to the 2nd floor that was removable and raise it each night/hostile forces show up. Plus that would keep ppl away from the snakes at night.

I have not gotten much further then S2 E1 so we will see, and yes hine sight is alway 20/20 but they make some stupid mistakes right off the bat. Its just way too easy, Survivor is/was better. I know it is different but still kinda the same idea. start with nothing,, trully nothing. At least that is how the Survivor started out. Now its about how hot/good looking they are and getting celebs to join the mix.

·
Registered
99 Posts
L.A. Season 1 (S1)

New Orleans? some place Katrina hit is Season 2 (S2)

I just started watching it... one episode down. Question... this is in LA... a few years ago... I started watching one that took place in an area devastated by a store... close to a swamp and remember the team killing and eating an alligator. This doesn't seem like the same show. Does anyone remember that one? If so... could you shoot me the name?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts