Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been muddling through Patriots for weeks. I just don't get the appeal. I even gave up on it for awhile, but my hubs said it was good, so I'm trying again. While I'm working, so somewhat occupied, but I still surf Facebook and this forum while listening to it. It's just. SO. boring.

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like this book?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've been muddling through Patriots for weeks. I just don't get the appeal. I even gave up on it for awhile, but my hubs said it was good, so I'm trying again. While I'm working, so somewhat occupied, but I still surf Facebook and this forum while listening to it. It's just. SO. boring.
Busted.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd never get any book time if I read them. Right now, I get to "read" for a couple hours while I work at night but I couldn't look at a page while I'm working, so Audible saves the day.

Now, back to the book, why do you need a full 10 minutes (at 1.25 speed) detailing a tank? Or the inner workings of a particular model of a plane that I will probably never see in my lifetime, let alone need to know how to fly. I mean, I get what he's doing, but most of it doesn't apply to very many situations. Also, the narrator is kind of gaspy and makes me take breaths for him when he gets to the end of a sentence. Might be better with a different narrator.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes! That was a great one. Even had me getting a little misty at the dog parts. My next up is Dies the Fire, in between rereading the Outlander series in preparation for #8's release next summer. Pretty sure I'll be avoiding more from Rawles. I really wanted to like it, though!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Yes! That was a great one. Even had me getting a little misty at the dog parts. My next up is Dies the Fire, in between rereading the Outlander series in preparation for #8's release next summer. Pretty sure I'll be avoiding more from Rawles. I really wanted to like it, though!
The books by Rawles that I have read has been time that I will never get back.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Red Storm Rising... I read it til i go to sleep ..Good but very detailed and looooong..

Reactions: Ripon and indie

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I thought all of the Rawles books were okay - not great. Although I thought the story was pretty stupid, I like Patriots the best of the bunch because it seemed to be more of a "how to" book on prepping given in a quasi-story format. His subsequent novels seemed to be more like traditional novels and he is not a great storyteller, in my opinion. But we did get a few helpful hints from Patriots. Note: I have found myself referring back to it as a reference manual a couple times when experimenting with different prepper things.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
At least in the subsequent books he found a decent editor. Sometimes I curse being the daughter of an English teacher.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'd never get any book time if I read them. Right now, I get to "read" for a couple hours while I work at night but I couldn't look at a page while I'm working, so Audible saves the day.
I can multitask... tasks. Not senses. I'd be wasting my time, I'd hear the first two minutes and then I'd get distracted by whatever else I was doing. The thing with books for me is seeing it in my head as I read them, does that happen when you listen to them?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
As a side note: I think this is the first prepper forum that I have ever read where we did not have unanimous consent that James Rawles was God's gift to prepping! Another reason I like it here... You all actually have functioning gray cells and are not just spouting the "prepper party line". 'Atta boys all around!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have read a few articles by Rawles and check in on his blog from time to time, when the book patriots came out and I saw the price! wow spendy! I simply passed on it. There is a lot of inde (independent) stuff that is every bit as good or better that sell for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There have been studies done on school children that concluded they retain better when they hear something versus reading it (hearing AND reading is more effective still). I think I'm the same way. I actually prefer hearing it over reading it now and feel like I get more from books when I hear them. I do have several hundred loaded up on my Kindle for the day in the distant future when I can sit down and read, since there is a much bigger print/ebook selection than audio, but for now it's Audible. I have the $23 or whatever/month plan that I think comes to about $27 after taxes, and for that I get two books. To put that into perspective, 800-page books from my favorite author are $30-$50+ and they're good for hours and hours of listening.

I can multitask... tasks. Not senses. I'd be wasting my time, I'd hear the first two minutes and then I'd get distracted by whatever else I was doing. The thing with books for me is seeing it in my head as I read them, does that happen when you listen to them?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I gave up on Patriots with 2 hours left. Just couldn't do it anymore. Anyone want to tell me how it ends?

Started Dies the Fire last night and I'm only a couple chapters in, but it is much more interesting so far. The narrator is butchering the accents, but I guess I'll let that slide. ;P

In other news, Amazon is having a $2 Kindle sale and I came across this one: Amazon.com: Extinction Point eBook: Paul Antony Jones: Kindle Store. Looks interesting so I bought and in approximately ten years, assuming I still have power to charge, I will read it and let you know!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I gave up on Patriots with 2 hours left. Just couldn't do it anymore. Anyone want to tell me how it ends?

Started Dies the Fire last night and I'm only a couple chapters in, but it is much more interesting so far. The narrator is butchering the accents, but I guess I'll let that slide. ;P

In other news, Amazon is having a $2 Kindle sale and I came across this one: Amazon.com: Extinction Point eBook: Paul Antony Jones: Kindle Store. Looks interesting so I bought and in approximately ten years, assuming I still have power to charge, I will read it and let you know!
The federal forces are preparing to use poison gas on the good guys. The good guys blow up the gas canisters and kill all of the federals. The president commits suicide in Europe. A bunch of new and good Constitutional Amendments are passed. The story closes about 20 years later when the baby (I forget his name) is going to his first college class, takes off his jacket and makes the other kids in the class uncomfortable with his shoulder holster. The prof explains it is his 2nd Amendment right.

Reactions: indie
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.