Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm teenbigfoot from Louisiana.I first heard about the serious threats to what we call civilization from so very informative videos on youtube. They were made by this user called storms clouds gathering thanks to that guy I know they are. I saw videos on the possibility of a second great depression in our country, the government shutting down permanently, and, even a police state being enforced. I was scared for both me and my family so looked on youtube for videos for people preparing for this kind of crisis. I found videos about storing food, purifying water, and, fortifying homes. And I became even more afraid because I am a jobless high school graduate with little money to his name. I don't even have the license to drive a cheap bucket around. I don't even think my family will take me seriously on this one. I don't know when the next disaster is happening, if I need to bug in/out, or what I'll need to bring I do leave. I basically like a sheep about to hunted when the night comes. So I'm here to learn how to survive what ever hell this country may become in the next 5yrs or less.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well welcome to the site Teenbigfoot, and may I say you picked a great place to start. The people on here are very informative, and best part is you get it from all angles.The Former Military, Seasoned Prepper's, Paranoid and Loony !

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Well welcome to the site Teenbigfoot, and may I say you picked a great place to start. The people on here are very informative, and best part is you get it from all angles.The Former Military, Seasoned Prepper's, Paranoid and Loony !
Hell, depending on who you ask, there are a few of us, who as individuals, can be described as former militatry who are seasoned paranoid loony preppers::clapping::

Welcome to the site from Texas. Best of luck as you enter the job market in our current economy. My best advice there is to not be proud and find anything that is ethical and brings in an income. There is no shame or dishonor in an honestly earned paycheck, and it shows future employers you willing to work. I know a job has to be there to find first, just don't give up.

We have a saying that knowledge and skills will get you further than cool stuff, and it doesn't weigh much and can be had for cheap. You Tube is great but don't get caught up in it hook line and sinker. Use it to help formulate questions and foster ideas and then take those and find answers and skills to learn.

Are you by chance in the coastal regions of LA? If so, selling your parents on huricane preparedness should be an approachable topic. Start out by talking about the 3 day FEMA recommendations and then suggest that a week or two is even better. This also allows for talk about evacuation in a timely manner as well as picking a predetermined location to go to. No one cares for FEMA, but their website offers a credible resource to show your parents the importance of collecting important documents and safe guarding them, and more than a few other basic strategies most folks who are prepared take for granted.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
Don't let life overwhelm you. As Confucious once said "A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step."

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Welcome, Teenbigfoot. Don't feel pressure to do everything at once. Start slow. Do what you can, when you can. Go to the library and ask for books on self sufficiency. Try to learn what you can. You can store drinking water in 2 liter or larger pop bottles. I use milk jugs. Like Rigged said, if you can get your parents on board, by talking about preparedness for a hurricane, it will really be helpful. Or people fleeing from a hurricane. Having extra water and a few basic food stuffs on hand is always a good idea. And I like how he puts it. There is no shame in any job, as long as it's honest work. I don't know about your area, but all the fast food joints here are begging for workers. There is a manufacturing place just down the road from me that is asking for help for the last 2+ months. Even working a job and a half, you can save for food stuffs build up. A vehicle isn't necessarily a priority, if you have a bike and a bike trailer.

You've found a great site to learn from. There are very well prepped people here, that know their stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome from connecticut. I'm in a similar age/income/lack of family assistance situation as you, so if you have any questions feel free to pm me them. I may be able to show you some workarounds you can use to help prepare yourself. Good luck and enjoy your stay in the forums.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts