Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Oh, good! We need more shes here.
On those special Friday nights, I do spaghetti straps and stilettos. Does that count?

Reactions: stevekozak

·
Registered
303 Posts
We have a home freeze-dryer so a majority of our stored food is freeze-dried. We live within 1/2 mile of a spring fed lake and have a Berkey water filter with spare filters so we don’t anticipate having a problem rehydrating our freeze-dried food or cooking our several hundred pounds of rice.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I know! And most of the people on here are men anyway, so it's usually safe to assume. It's kind of unusual for women to be preppers or even think about it. I wish I could find friends in real life that I could talk to about this.
You can make plenty of friends here and not have to worry about OPSEC of what you have.

Having easy access to water is job number one for a prepper. Without it, you are toast. Once you have access to it, then you need to concern yourself with treating it so that it is not harmful. Heck in my truck, I keep a Sawyer Mini & a Lifestraw. At home I have more, plus activated charcoal and the tools needed to access my well water if the grid is down.

So the point is to not store rice or other long term stores because they need water, but to ensure you have plenty of water. It is a great idea to keep a year or two worth of canned goods & other short term stores, so long it is stuff you eat normally & you rotate it so that it doesn't go bad. However, never discount the value of rice, beans, wheat berries, oats, etc. for long term storage. With rice and other long term stores, you can eat them today or 30 years from now. With canned goods, you can eat today or maybe 5 years from now. That is why the vast majority of my stores are long term. Other factor for me is, I eat almost no canned food, so any I would keep would go bad in a few years, with the exception of my Spam that I store. I'm not necessarily a health nut, but I grow much of our own veggies and just find fresh veggies & meat much healthier than canned... plus they taste better. They put a lot of unhealthy chemicals in canned food.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you mean by procuring water to go into the woods and find a stream, that also costs water - getting thirsty on the trek, etc - and it might not be safe to do so in the kind of events we are planning for. Other people will be looking for that same watering spot; you might have competition for that additional water you're procuring in order to cook your rice. So for safety and to use resources best, I don't want to waste the water I procure/already have. I will keep it for drinking and other vital activities. If a food can be eaten without taking water, so much the better.
by procure I mean it literally falls from the sky and/or forms as dew on the grass......

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
@ *******

About the 30-year lasting rice, this is something I don't understand. SOCOM42 said he stores his in plastic containers with a special sealant, which I don't have access to. Is this what you are doing? Because my rice has an expiration date of 2022. I'd like to understand this 10+ year lasting rice.

·
Super Moderator
8,665 Posts
@ *******

About the 30-year lasting rice, this is something I don't understand. SOCOM42 said he stores his in plastic containers with a special sealant, which I don't have access to. Is this what you are doing? Because my rice has an expiration date of 2022. I'd like to understand this 10+ year lasting rice.
If I understand correctly you are using enriched rice. Personally I prefer Jasmine also other bagged rice will also store for 30 years. I have some in food grade 5 gallon buckets. Yeah I used a 5 gal mylar bag inside and the same with beans. After much research, I found that most rice and beans will have a 25-30 year life span. I just chose the way I store them for protection from vermin and bugs. A regular bag of 20 lbs of rice only lasts about 6 months here so I leave several just in the bag.

If you do a search for shelf life of products, you will find a variety of answers. Some just follow mfg suggestions. Some will be consistent about the length of time and I would listen to them. Some of the prepper sites also have this information listed.
@SOCOM42 has been doing this for quite a number of years and you should pay attention to him. I have yet to go wrong listening to his advice. He's been around for a long time and I think he may be 3 days older than dirt. He's picked up a lot of knowledge over the years and doesn't mind sharing.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
@ *******

it's not an expiration date on your rice.... it's a best by date..

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
keep it dry and you should be fine.. I store mine in leftover 24oz mountain dew bottles, as I have a ton of them, they are air-tight, waterproof, and food grade.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
@ *******

I use 6 gallon plastic pails & Mylar bags. So I put an empty Mylar bag in the pail, fill with my food, add oxygen absorbers & desiccants, then quickly use my heat sealer to seal all the way across the top of the Mylar bag except for about a 1/2" gap. I then fold & squish the top of the bag until most excess air is removed, and then complete the seal. I then run a 2nd seal across the top as an added precaution. I then put a lid on the pail, write the contents & date on the outside of the pail, and then put in my storage room that never gets above the low 60s.

It is widely established that foods such as white rice, wheat berries, rolled oats, dried beans, dried pasta, etc. will remain safe to eat for 25-30 years... or more if stored in a dark, dry, cool environment.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
@ *******

This week we ate rice I'd packaged in 2016. It was vacuum sealed in a mason jar w/oxy absorber. Tasted fine. Muy bueno. No problemo.

·
8,988 Posts
I live in southern AZ, where water is scarce. Rice is big part of my supplies for many reasons. And as 2020 Convert said, the water in the rice goes into your body.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
When I first started out putting away food, I had to devise my own way of prepping it.

There was no internet that you could google anything, no google either, that was 40 years ago.

I did know about Mountain House food and their process, so I set up to do the same thing.

Nitrogen, Argon, CO2 and O2 are gasses that I had/have on the shop floor at all times.

Today it is Mylar, O2 and moisture eaters into 7-1/2 gallon pails that are used.

The plastic pails came from St. Joseph's Abby in Spencer Ma.

The pails contained preservatives which they repackage into small jars and sell them in their store and other places.

I had hundreds of them for free, every so often they would have need of my shop services.

They would bring about a hundred buckets and a couple cases of preserves as a thank you.

I vac. pack frozen stuff to prevent freezer burn, but airtight integrity is all to often lost in aftermath.

I had posted a picture of a comm. shelter with those filled buckets a while back.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
it is not as if rice feeds half the world!

yes you have to use water to cook rice, you will also use water to make beans, bread, clean your butt, shave...

of course you could just soak the rice in water and then eat it.. no wasted water

but seriously not stocking rice because you are worried about wasting water is a not correct
Well as all us all raw Vegans know the rice the world lives on isnt the same as what we eat. In India for example the rice is so contaminated by incect parts and rodent droppings it packs as much protein and B vitamins as a T bone steak.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I live in southern AZ, where water is scarce. Rice is big part of my supplies for many reasons. And as 2020 Convert said, the water in the rice goes into your body.
Thank you! In my younger days, I was a wrestler and counted every ounce that went in and out to make weight. Same theory applies here.

Rice isn't like pasta where water is wasted.

·
Super Moderator
6,403 Posts
Well as all us all raw Vegans know the rice the world lives on isnt the same as what we eat. In India for example the rice is so contaminated by incect parts and rodent droppings it packs as much protein and B vitamins as a T bone steak.
Blech. Where's that throwing up smiley @Robie ?

41 - 60 of 77 Posts