Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few post about what to have on hand to barter and they had some great ideas.
But I think I have a winner of an idea. I have a shed thats full of junk (good junk) everything from 10ph electric start snow blowers to Solar parts, I got thinking about and at first the stuff that people are going to want is not the same as what they will be looking for in 8 or 12 months. You are going to see people more motivated and creative
than any other time in recent history. And this time they are going to know more about everything than they did before. --- 2 horse power pull start washing machine thats runs on burning wood--- That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. And the guy that has the parts to build it will be the man to see when you have something he wants.
One piece of junk for two pieces or whatever I may need at that time.
-----------------------So my entry is one shed full of junk what's yours?
--------------------------------just one idea----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think the best bartering item would be medicines such as antibiotics. If the SHTF there will be a lot of junk all over the place what is needed is to be able to put the junk back together or make something out of it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some where along the way everything will be needed.. The question is can you get to it. Rona, Home depot, lowes etc all have this stuff.. at some point the cops will stop protecting these stores BUT are we willing to take a chance to go there..

My entry is also a shed full.. from lumber and nails to screws and metal stock. a lathe that runs off of a 1920's hit and miss motor that i have spare parts for.. Working on setting up a belt driven work shop..

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Mine is a combination of systems. Water collection & storeage system. Ceramic filter system. And solar system powering a small chest freezer that I can freeze jugs of ice. Been in Florida in the summer without air conditioning or ice?

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I see the best barter items as being services. For me, this would mean a small machine shop, which would include a small lathe, a milling machine, a welder, and a grinder, along with a few measuring tools and basic tooling such as end mills and tool bits. With a setup like this, I could make virtually any replacement part for virtually any machine.

These machines would be almost useless unless you knew how to operate them. Having such a shop would make me a valuable member of any community, and I imagine they would tend to look out for my well being. LOL

The nice thing about services is that you won't run out of them. I see it as a "renewable" resource.

Reactions: longrider

·
Registered
257 Posts
I totally see the value of having parts/the knowledge around, but I am not very mechanically minded and live in an apartment in the middle of a huge metropolitan area where bugging out is my only option. Space is very limited (I'll only be here for another year though), so anything I set aside for bartering has to be compact. I mostly have silver quarters, travel size toiletries/medical supplies, and hard candy. It's not much, and certainly won't win any awards, but as my only option will be to leave, probably quickly, I can only try to do my best lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you live in the city need to leave quick ? And I do what everyone thought on a moped ? Think in a city if you had to you could drive on sidewalks take trails tow a bike trailer with you supply any thoughts on this

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware all depend on weekly deliveries to keep their shelves stocked - just like the grocery stores. In less than a week those places will be empty and deserted. People will all be looking for "useful" items and there won't be anyplace that has not been picked over. I have two metal recyclers that are close enough to get to but after the SHTF I doubt the risk will be worth the trip so I will be planning on scavenging as I go about my daily routine and trading for raw materials where ever I am. I know that the competition for raw materials will be maddening as people take what they need to survive. Wood will be used as heating fuel for as long as it lasts so getting wood to make a chair or stool is going to be extremely difficult. Metal will be just as bad as folks gather up what they can to do whatever they can with it.

Small lighters like the Bic lighters will have value because most people couldn't build a fire or light a candle or lamp without one. Sewing needles, not rotting thread, cloth, and even small pieces of stainless steel will be good for barter. Liquor, wine, beer, and chocolate will be extremely valuable. Marijuana, and other mood altering drugs will be wanted but most will grow their own so it might be good to have a little on hand but it won't be a good barter item. Legal meds for pain will be a source for contacts with some very bad people but antibiotics and a list of what to use them for and how to tell which should be used for what will be in great demand and the knowledge that goes with it could save your life but if you make a mistake it could get you killed.

You have to think about what you need on a daily basis if you had no city water or power and no fuel.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My horse training/dog training skills. Anyway, that's my best one. I hope to have honey bees, also, but that is down the road. I think skills more than things, except for food.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
This is as easy as toilet paper. Here is why.

1). It is most affordable. Shop around and find the smallest roll, cheapest kind, and spend as little as possible because when it becomes a barter item that expensive charming might be nice but the cheap stuff will still be in high demand.

2). Because anyone with an attic can store it there and let it serve as insulation. How many "preps" save you money while in storage and don't degrade any or hardly any.

My current deal is a 24 roll dual ply from a local grocery chain for $3.98 plus tax. It costs me less than 18 cents a roll. It's a large flat package that fits nicely in the attic and for under 10 bucks I get 48 barter items that in Venezuela would already be worth plenty.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I can easily hit the kill zone on an adult at 100 yards with my little 22 LR. I do it twice a month at the range in competition. That is why it should be a last resort to trade ammo or reloading supplies.
Find something that cannot be used against you to barter with - like toilet paper or salt or sugar or anything that isn't likely to be able to kill you in a stupid moment.

Reactions: LunaticFringeInc

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am goin to say honey. We are going to start with our own honey bees in the near future so should have a nice supply. Hell, we probably have 50-75 quart jars and about as many or more pint sized jars of honey. It is a great sugar substitute,great for coughs and sore throat,cuts,energy,supposed to be good for the skin and many more things. Plus, it never goes bad. I read somewhere a year or so ago they found some in the pyramids and it was still good! And you can also use the beeswax for many purposes... So honey is my pick..

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I just found a new source for local honey about a week ago. My old supplier has good honey, but the new stuff is out of this world good.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
This is as easy as toilet paper. Here is why.

1). It is most affordable. Shop around and find the smallest roll, cheapest kind, and spend as little as possible because when it becomes a barter item that expensive charming might be nice but the cheap stuff will still be in high demand.

2). Because anyone with an attic can store it there and let it serve as insulation. How many "preps" save you money while in storage and don't degrade any or hardly any.

My current deal is a 24 roll dual ply from a local grocery chain for $3.98 plus tax. It costs me less than 18 cents a roll. It's a large flat package that fits nicely in the attic and for under 10 bucks I get 48 barter items that in Venezuela would already be worth plenty.
I just had a mental image of the check out folks where you buy your TP and what conversations they have as you haul out your 200th role for the week....

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I like honey, but im so tough, I just eat the bees...
Just joshin ya.. I have some dollartree batteries, cheaper style flashlights, and some lighters. I have a few of the "1$ knives" in the walmart camping section..I sold one for three dollars at work...I dont have an attic, but, t.p. would be a decent longterm item, and just slowly use it, I buy the cheap stuff at dollar general for rolls its 1 dollar. Lately ive used it more for picking up my puppies "love muffins" she keeps depositing in my room.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Gah, you sucked me in so here goes

The ability to charge batteries, either small ones or car batteries is a great barter skill.

A moonshine still

Mouse traps, Bic lighters, pool shock, alcohol, Fish antibiotics, N95 Respirators, M10 Gas masks, Canning Lids, Canning Jars, Heirloom seeds, salt, sugar, pepper, 5 gallon food grade buckets.

Being able to draw a range card and set up overlapping fields of fire.

Axes, saws, sharpening stones, and knowing how to use them.

Shovels, hoes, forks, pitch forks, augers, pry bars, post hole diggers

Bolt cutters

Hot showers, warm food, coffee, clothes repair, spiritual salvation.

Lye, lard, wax, oil, gasoline, diesel, and spark plugs

Faith, Hope Charity, Compassion, and Comfort

All of these things will have value when the SHTF.

Reactions: Deebo
1 - 20 of 45 Posts