Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I often look at people throughout my day and can't help but constantly shake my head over our society. So many people unconcerned with others, self absorbed in there own lives, rude and cut throat that I just don't know whether I would actually want to get involved in any given situation to help them if I happened to be their with one being be voilent to another, and the other looking to be in harms way. Whether it was a parking lot argument that lead to gun fire or a maniac going off in a restaurant. I carry a gun everyday and I just don't know whether I want to be involved in a given situation or simply walk away. My carrying a firearm is primarily for my protection, my partners, family and friends. I was just wondering how some of you felt about it, who are also armed whether it's carrying or even if something came about around your neighborhood. And when the shtf and this country crumbles, which I see as an eventuality the way things are going and voilent acts will be much more common. I personally just don't know how much of an armed samaritan I am, whether their worth it and I want to get involved.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I carry everywhere I go. At this point I am sworn to protect every one of them. If some goofball starts shooting, I'm making sure my family is safe then pulling out the Kimber and going to work. Even when I retire in a couple of years I could never look at myself in a mirror remembering that I watched someone die at the hands of a criminal knowing I could have prevented it. Even at the cost of my own life. What greater way to end a life of serving others?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
You see things as they are.
When it hits the fan how it will be

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Whether you serve in the military, Law Enforcement or both, you take an oath. You make a lifelong commitment to take up a weapon and protect and defend your country, your buddies and the innocent. I've had my low points where I wondered if it's all worth it. I just keep running towards the gunfire though.It's a mental problem we have. I don't want to die but I'm hardwired this way. From time to time I read this.

On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yep, I'm in the same camp as CSI & Rigged. I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't get involved. I can't stand to see people preyed upon regardless of whether or not I think they deserve to live and I have no tolerance for the animals that prey upon the weak (or the weak minded for that matter).

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Whether you serve in the military, Law Enforcement or both, you take an oath. You make a lifelong commitment to take up a weapon and protect and defend your country, your buddies and the innocent. I've had my low points where I wondered if it's all worth it. I just keep running towards the gunfire though.It's a mental problem we have. I don't want to die but I'm hardwired this way. From time to time I read this.

On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
That was an excellent read. Thank you. I saved it to favorites though I don't feel a 100% about who is exactly innocent anymore. I know I'm a sheepdog, but I question exactly whether some are actually part of my flock.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Shortly after I left the military and entered Law Enforcement I watched a 7 year old boy slip away right in front of me. It tore me up. I resolved to leave the profession and never look back. On my way home the wife needed me to stop at the grocery store and pick something up, I don't recall what exactly but when I came out there was a little red post it note on the windshield of my patrol car. I figured somebody was pissed at me for whatever reason or just wanted to vent about cops in general. I snatched the note and read it. This is what it said:

I know you don't know me, but my name is Mary. I just wanted to let you know how important you are to me. I can't imagine what it must be like to put on a vest every night and not know whether or not you will make it home. Thank you.

I changed my mind and went to work that night.

That was 23 years ago and I tell that little story to every Officer I train.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I don't think anyone knows for sure what they would do in a situation like you described, unless you have been in it before. I have not, but I would like to think I would do something to help save a life if I could.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I often look at people throughout my day and can't help but constantly shake my head over our society. So many people unconcerned with others, self absorbed in there own lives, rude and cut throat that I just don't know whether I would actually want to get involved in any given situation to help them if I happened to be their with one being be voilent to another, and the other looking to be in harms way. Whether it was a parking lot argument that lead to gun fire or a maniac going off in a restaurant. I carry a gun everyday and I just don't know whether I want to be involved in a given situation or simply walk away. My carrying a firearm is primarily for my protection, my partners, family and friends. I was just wondering how some of you felt about it, who are also armed whether it's carrying or even if something came about around your neighborhood. And when the shtf and this country crumbles, which I see as an eventuality the way things are going and voilent acts will be much more common. I personally just don't know how much of an armed samaritan I am, whether their worth it and I want to get involved.
The biggest danger to we who are not sworn officers, . . . you may happen upon a situation where you really want to do something, . . . but you cannot because you do not know who is the good guy, and who is the bad guy.

IE: the 50 something white haired old guy and the 20 something young dude are going at each other. You hear names and "rapist" come out of their mouths, . . . did the young guy rape the old guy's daughter, . . . or is the old guy a pervert who raped the young guys 3 year old?

We also don't have the taser, . . . backup enroute, . . . or a K9 to help.

Bottom line? Be careful if you intervene in someone else's problem. You might pick the wrong side.

To the best of my ability, . . . I would go down defending anyone who needed defending, . . . I don't have the slightest problem with that, . . . I just don't want to forfeit my life for the wrong reason, . . . or worse, . . . rot in a jail cell because I chose the wrong side to help.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I have the luxury of being covered by massive municipal and state insurance policies as well. If I act under the color of law, provided I am following policy, I will be covered. Civilians who carry usually have to provide their own liability bonds. If you do take a life regardless of right or wrong there will be legal action against you. Under respodeat superior an officer will be named in the suit but they are going after the municipality. The deepest pockets we have as citizens are our own. Something to consider.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Common sense is important. Last week I saw two individuals pursuing a young boy outside of Save Mart. I shouted at them giving him an opportunity to get inside the store. Other patrons and myself confronted them verbally and told them we were calling Carson SO. The kid was safe they were deterred and the fact I was armed never became known let alone a factor.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I would never get more involved in a shouting match than to say something thought provoking - like "is it worth going to jail for?" or something similar. I have done that in the past and it usually works but other times I had to sit and wait for the cops to get there. Never, NEVER, lay a hand on someone who is "having a discussion" with another because you never have all the facts. As soon as you touch someone you have the possibility of going to jail for assault.

If gun play is involved - I wait - check out who is shooting and why. You don't want to shoot somebody who is trying to stop a felony in progress or an off-duty officer. You have to know what is going on before you pull a gun. Besides you need the time to find the best cover and get the best shot - no one in the background, no one moving toward your line of sight and all the rest that makes your shot count without causing more harm.

The responsibility comes with the right so keep in mind that if you ever use your gun you will be in court over it, civil or criminal so take your time to make the right decission for you in that situation. Killing someone is a hard thing to do and harder still to live with afterwards. Killing the wrong person is ever worse.

·
Administrator
14,911 Posts
I have the luxury of being covered by massive municipal and state insurance policies as well. If I act under the color of law, provided I am following policy, I will be covered. Civilians who carry usually have to provide their own liability bonds. If you do take a life regardless of right or wrong there will be legal action against you. Under respodeat superior an officer will be named in the suit but they are going after the municipality. The deepest pockets we have as citizens are our own. Something to consider.
I have taken several training courses put on by local law enforcement. The instuctors during the self defense, shoot/don't shoot portions all said the same thing. If you EVER have to shoot someone, even if it is righteous legally, life as you have known it is gone forever. And you will most likely be financially ruined, too. Florida's "stand your gound" law supposedly shields one from lawsuits, but when lawyers are involved things can get perverted quickly. And I go into Georgia almost every day, too.
We live in a small town/rural area where violent crime is almost unheard of. But I still carry everywhere, except at work. Although situations can be very fluid, I seriously doubt if I would fire on anybody that was not actively engaged in gunning people down.
Or attacking me or my wife personally.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Everyone should carry liability insurance but especially those who carry outside the home. Your home-owners liability might cover you but that would be rare.
You can get insurance through the NRA and other second amendment orgs so check them out.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
After I got my CCP, I thought about something like this:
It's late and you are on your way home, you decide to stop at the local 7-11 for a coke. While you are in the back, a guy walks in with a gun and puts it in the face of a 19 year old female clerk. What do you do?
One, you do nothing, the guy gets the money and leaves, no one harmed.
Two, you do nothing, the guy gets the money then shoots the woman in the face before leaving.
Three, you try to do something, which causes the guy who wasn't going to hurt anyone to shoot the woman.
Four, you shoot the guy before he maybe shoots the woman.
Anyone have the correct answer? I don't.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Moonshinedave, a very serious and thought provoking question.
My answer, I dont know, I hope and think I would cover and draw, access and hope to not have to shoot him.
My experience- being held up at restaurant after work one night, an employee went outside to get her cigarettes, and two masked people entered the door after her. One of them almost crashed into me as they came jumping in the door, with a pistol to the head of cigarette girl. For a split second, my brain said it was just a joke, until the one with the rifle pointed it at my chest and worked the bolt. Demanding to be taken to the safe...They really scared the manager, she was crying and freaking out, I honestly almost grabbed the rifle, becouse my mind was telling me "If I was going in to trouble, my rifle would be locked and loaded", but I knew the pistol pointed at cigarette girl looked real. They had us lay prone on the floor, and I stupidly was more worried about the tip money I had in my wallet than I was them shooting us..
Turns out, it was cigarrette girls roommates, they had planned it for when the safe was open. Her, her boyfriend, two room mates and a driver. 5 people, and a Saturday or Friday night, they only got like 2300. THe police eventually arrested everyone. We had to go to court, and I sat in the hallway across from them. Dont know the outcome, I had moved away shortly after this happened..
Also, watched four rich white young men that I knew get the shit beat out of them by a young black male that they had goaded into fighting. Didn't take much goading, they called him some choice names, and he took his shirt off and proceeded to beat the piss out of all four of them. I was leaning on a newspaper machine watching, and one of them said "why didn't you help us?" I told him they didn't need any help getting their buts whooped, that he had done a fine job..anyone pulling up to the scene might have assumed that the "young black guy was beating up a white guy for no reason."

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
...I carry a gun everyday and I just don't know whether I want to be involved in a given situation or simply walk away..
A man's gotta do..
For example Peter carried a sword and sliced off the high priest flunkies ear with it when they came to arrest Jesus, so if a saint carried a weapon, so can we.

PS- Also you might need it to save somebody's life, for example if you see a psycho attacking people you can blow his head clean off.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Unfortunately, in real life, people are not wearing labels that tell whether they are the good guys or the bad guys. Sometimes it is readily apparent but not so all the time. It would be nice if people all wore hats like in the 1950s movies - you always new who the good guys were because they wore white hats and the bad guys always wore black hats. An undercover cop making an arrest in a latenight convenience store might look at first glace to be robbing the place and that thug that just through a woman to the ground might be a married couple playfully engaging in a scene. You have to act juditiously unless you want to become the "bad guy".

1 - 20 of 37 Posts