Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not that 700 club, this ones WAY more fun. I'm the proud owner of a new Remington Model 700. Haven't even fired it, but I know what love at first sight feels like. This is my new baby.

What's your 700 story? More than one? Calibers? Modifications? Best group?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I have a 270, 22-250 and 308 in model 700, they are my favorite bolt style rifle, I have a couple of ruger bolts in 22 mag and 223 they just don't feel right to me.

My best group with the 308 is 3 shots 7/8" O.D. at 172 yards. I kept the target in my plastic gun case. my 22-250 VSSF is increadably accurate, but nothing like the 308, I believe mostly because of wind drift. The 308 has the 22-250 beat for wind drift by a long way.

My favorite dear caliber is the sportster barrel 270, I love that rifle. Best shot I ever made was killing a flat out running coyote across a quarter section, I lead it by about ten feet and killed it dead. The hide hangs on my beam in my living room.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am a 700 guy too. I have 1 in 308 bull barrel and have 2 the Rem 700 aac-sd in 308 also with 20 in bull barrel and 1/10 twist. One is my fiances she just doesn't know it yet.. I have the Remington 40x in 22-250 bull barrel(which is the 700 on steroids from the Rem custom shop). I have the opportunity to pick one up in 7mm RUM that I might jump on but not sure yet.. As you can see, I like the bull barrels..lol They are all .75 minute guns or better..

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We have had a few 700's around here for many years they are a fine weapon.
Enjoy it

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Double D, what caliber?

I had a 700 in 22-250 and nearly purchased the 700 SPS Tactical. It was ALMOST pure impulse buy (I had researched it pretty heavily) but common sense got hold of me, before they got hold of my card. I reminded myself that I am in fact not a sniper nor would I be shooting long distance competitions and, it was too heavy to lug around for hunting. Therefore I had no REAL need for this rifle and ultimately passed. It's cool though and I certainly don't fault anyone for owning one.

My 22-250 shot 1/4" groups at 100 with home grown "roll your owns" off the bench and was topped with a Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42 non-illuminated scope. It was impressive for sure.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Double D, what caliber?
30-06. I like .308 but I'm partial to 30-06's heritage. Plus we already have an old Mauser action in a custom stock so it keeps our calibers from drifting too much. It's an SPS that has the factory Remington glass on it right now, but I'm looking at some Leupolds to replace that. A Harris bipod, half pound drop on the trigger and some color on the textured portions of the stock, and she'll be ready for some dollar a round target practice. :)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
any review on the 783? the affordable 700? I have a friend that went to bass pro today to get the Remington 783. howdoes this rifle stack up to the 700.

I have an ammo question. the 270 win... how much further does that go than the 55 grain 556/223? and how does it compare to the 308 as far as availability and price?

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
any review on the 783? the affordable 700? I have a friend that went to bass pro today to get the Remington 783. howdoes this rifle stack up to the 700.

I have an ammo question. the 270 win... how much further does that go than the 55 grain 556/223? and how does it compare to the 308 as far as availability and price?
Go to YouTube. Not a ton of stuff there yet on the 783 as it's relatively new, but it seems people really like it. Definitely more than the 770. As for the latter half of your question, I have no idea. I'm a 7.62x54r kinda guy! I don't anything about the .270; It was never a round that interested me.

And for the Double D...too funny. That's sexual harassment ya' know. I told a couple of the ladies at work the other day I didn't have to tolerate that kind of behavior from them. And if they didn't put out, I'd turn them in. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Go to YouTube. Not a ton of stuff there yet on the 783 as it's relatively new, but it seems people really like it. Definitely more than the 770. As for the latter half of your question, I have no idea. I'm a 7.62x54r kinda guy! I don't anything about the .270; It was never a round that interested me.

And for the Double D...too funny. That's sexual harassment ya' know. I told a couple of the ladies at work the other day I didn't have to tolerate that kind of behavior from them. And if they didn't put out, I'd turn them in. :lol::lol:
So, did ya turn em in???

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
haha!! its socal so we all got em. i kinda gave up yrs ago. its the girls. they are the worst "OMG are those real?" yes. " can i touch them?"

·
Registered
86 Posts
A 30-06 is a great all-around rifle. The cartridge gets passed over a lot with the more exotic 300 ultra and 338 lapua rounds. But, I can always find 30-06 bullets/rounds/cases, whereas other stuff, not so much. Plus, it's pretty easy to mount something like an SWFA fixed 10 power scope and you're pretty good out to 500 yards for deer, 300 yards for bigger game.

It also doesn't kick much! My next rifle will be a 30-06 in the Model 700.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
the 30-06 is that like the 762x39 (sks) or more like the 308 kick?
Definitely more like the .308, but on steroids.

The 30-06 has a kick all it's own. It's sharp, yet pleasant with a distinct, mild after taste.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
86 Posts
It kicks less than a 12 gauge shotgun. It's pretty mild. If you want to make it less, put on a muzzle brake at a gunsmith (but you'll rue the day when you fire it without ear plugs).

·
Registered
86 Posts
They can shoot the same bullets, .308 diameter. It's the case shape and the powder amount that makes them different.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A 30-06 is a great all-around rifle. The cartridge gets passed over a lot with the more exotic 300 ultra and 338 lapua rounds. But, I can always find 30-06 bullets/rounds/cases, whereas other stuff, not so much.
Eh, a fellow canuck! What's up buddy?

30-06 and .338 lapua magnum aren't even playing on the same ball field. Ones good for hunting out to 800 yards, the other is good for killing things (usually on two legs) out to 1500 yards and farther. Lapua makes sense for a long range sniper, none at all for people at home (except those with the money to play around).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts