Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What thaw-and-eat food is in your freezer? The kind that doesn't have to be heated or cooked and yet there's hardly any change to its taste or texture.

Looking at the amount of sodium in canned foods, I figure hubby and I wouldn't last long if we eat only those.
If the disaster don't get us, the sodium will. :p
As much as possible, if we can eat mostly home-made, and save the canned stuffs for later when there are no longer any other options.

I'm just starting to plan what to store up....need ideas.

Mung Bean Soup, fully-cooked meatballs (home-made)

I'm also going stock up on carrot muffins, banana muffins, corn bread and regular bread.
With the preservatives they use on store-bought bread it should last for more than a week at room temperature.

I want to test if tahina (sesame butter) with yogurt and garlic will be good to freeze. If so, I'll also stock up on Pita bread.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
That's a good question. I'm thinking of what's in my freezer and there isn't much that can be eaten straight out like that. Muffins and things don't last long in the freezer, but if you kept up an aggressive rotation they'd be alright.

Berries, we have lots of those. In fact, I'm going through the 5# left from a smoothie phase and making them into jam so they store better. We don't eat that many carbs in one go now so all those berries are just sitting around waiting for a job.

*Some* precooked sausages taste okay cold. Oh! Cheese can be frozen, so that's another one.

I think you're right about the breads and muffins...most ready to eat freezer foods are going to be the carby type foods.

If you have a way to heat though, soups can be frozen. I inevitably make a crockpot full every time I try to make a soup so the extra (after eating it two days) goes in containers in the freezer for later.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
^^That was my 100th post. I was going to come up with something good for that one, ha!

I wanted to add that you could backwards engineer and think of foods you normally prepare to eat unheated and find ones that freeze well. What about cooked chicken to put into cold salads? One of our favorites is brown rice with apples, bell peppers, cooked chicken, green onions, vinegar, lemon juice, walnuts, salt and pepper. It goes great cold so it's one we take when we're doing a day trip into the city.

·
Registered
900 Posts
What thaw-and-eat food is in your freezer? The kind that doesn't have to be heated or cooked and yet there's hardly any change to its taste or texture.

Looking at the amount of sodium in canned foods, I figure hubby and I wouldn't last long if we eat only those.
If the disaster don't get us, the sodium will. :p
As much as possible, if we can eat mostly home-made, and save the canned stuffs for later when there are no longer any other options.

I'm just starting to plan what to store up....need ideas.

Mung Bean Soup, fully-cooked meatballs (home-made)

I'm also going stock up on carrot muffins, banana muffins, corn bread and regular bread.
With the preservatives they use on store-bought bread it should last for more than a week at room temperature.

I want to test if tahina (sesame butter) with yogurt and garlic will be good to freeze. If so, I'll also stock up on Pita bread.
Is the freezer the only option for you? if so what if you loose electricity? you will have to eat fast...... You don't can your own foods?

As for the frozen muffins ....I actually "can" muffins, brownies, cake, zucchini, banana and pumkin bread in jars. Lasts forever and comes out of the jar tasting moist and fresh like you just baked it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The burglar that suddenly ceased activity in my neighborhood.
You better cook that, they are known to carry disease. Maybe BBQ? I have gallons of apple sauce, ham and bean soup and usually some BBQ chicken or pork. It was a good year for apples around here, I have a bunch of applesauce and apple butter canned as well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
We are about to get 150 lbs of Beef in our's we just cooked our last roast from the freezer. We have been doing this for several years now ordering half a cow in the spring and its all paid for by oct. and last's us almost the whole year. I am pretty sure we are paying more than what we would pay for it over the year in the store but these are non drug'ed up cows. all natural grass fed beef. works for us.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good question. I'm thinking of what's in my freezer and there isn't much that can be eaten straight out like that. Muffins and things don't last long in the freezer, but if you kept up an aggressive rotation they'd be alright.

Berries, we have lots of those. In fact, I'm going through the 5# left from a smoothie phase and making them into jam so they store better. We don't eat that many carbs in one go now so all those berries are just sitting around waiting for a job.

*Some* precooked sausages taste okay cold. Oh! Cheese can be frozen, so that's another one.

I think you're right about the breads and muffins...most ready to eat freezer foods are going to be the carby type foods.

If you have a way to heat though, soups can be frozen. I inevitably make a crockpot full every time I try to make a soup so the extra (after eating it two days) goes in containers in the freezer for later.
With muffins, I individually wrap them in saran wrap before putting them in a freezer bag. They've lasted for more than 6 months.

Next time, I'll wrap them in saran wrap and put 4 or 6 in each freezer bag (vacuum-sealed). The way I vacuum seal it: Fill a pot with cold water. Place the freezer bag (with the stuff already inside the bag) in the water and submerge it all the way to the top where you can zip it close (careful not to let any water in the bag). The water releases all the air from the bag. This should give the frozen food longer life.
I'll be doing that too with breads. I re-use those freezer bags, too - don't throw them away.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Is the freezer the only option for you? if so what if you loose electricity? you will have to eat fast...... You don't can your own foods?

As for the frozen muffins ....I actually "can" muffins, brownies, cake, zucchini, banana and pumkin bread in jars. Lasts forever and comes out of the jar tasting moist and fresh like you just baked it.
I'm not confident enough. This is just my second year in making jam. I worry that I might not do it right and we end up with food that we can't eat.

Oh boy....I'd love to learn how to do that with muffins and breads.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I guess we can heat them in our barbeque - it runs on natural gas. Our stove/oven though is still on electric. Also, have to come up with camping stove. There's just so many expenses this days and our finances are really limited.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Toaster Streudels.

I will happily wait out the apocalypse on thawed Toaster Streudels.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haven't you heard, sodium ain't a problem for most folks.
I know. It's not a problem for us either....but I looked at the nutritional label and saw how much salt there is in 1 cup of soup, and that's just for one meal, multiply that by 3 per day. It all adds up. But of course, if there's no other alternative, we eat what we have.
There's a way to counter the heavy sodium (aside from drinking lots of water) - eating something that's high in potassium.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Never had those. Will have to try now that you recommended them.
Oh I recommend them. I've never met a streudel I didn't like.

I guess in all seriousness though, I have also got a lot of frozen veggies that would be easily edible once thawed. My meat would be edible too, in the sense that I could start a firefairly easily in the yard fairly easily to cook it... not sure if that's against the rules.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Yes, I guess we can heat them in our barbeque - it runs on natural gas. Our stove/oven though is still on electric. Also, have to come up with camping stove. There's just so many expenses this days and our finances are really limited.
If you have your own yard, you could make a fire pit for cheap or free. You can look on Youtube for making rocket stoves out of #10 cans too. I know what you mean about too many expenses - my Amazon wish list is a mile long and plans to stay that way awhile. :D

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Kissy Face Moo 1.jpg

If my electric goes out, we are going to half to eat a lot of this guy's brother.

We have been raising steers for some time now and the freezer has T-Bones galore,

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Moving in requires that fair trade rules apply. That means you will be doing a lot of work for your meals and room. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts