Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Texas House passes open carry

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Kauboy 
#1 ·
Today, the Texas House passed HB 910, amending Texas law to allow the open carry of handguns by carriers of a handgun license. Abbot said he will sign any open carry bill that reaches his desk, so it's basically a done deal.
It?s Official: Texas Legislature Passes Open Carry

I read the full text of the bill, and I like it for the most part.
I would have liked to see it implemented the day it is signed, but it looks like we will have to wait until September 1st for it to be official after the Governor's signature.

One part confuses me.
We CHL Texans are familiar with the 30.06 section, but this text creates a new section following it, 30.07.
The wording of a 30.06 "notice" is changing a bit, which means all current signs would be null and void until updated.
The wording of 30.07 will be slightly different to include specifically open carry of handguns, and that new section designates specifically that ALL entrances to a building MUST have the sign posted. The 30.06 section was NOT updated to include this. (Odd?)
Then, there is a part that states an offense was committed if the carrier carries on property where notice was given under "30.06 or 30.07".
That kinda rubs me raw.
They didn't specify in that statement that the method of carry and the notice given must be related. Only that notice was given under either of the sections.
This could potentially mean that carrying openly where no 30.07 is posted, but where a 30.06 sign IS posted, could still get you into trouble, and vice-versa.

Other than that, I think I like it.
At the very least, it is a good first step.

To my fellow Texans, and any citizens of inferior states:)P), what are your thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
Kauboy,

I also like the passage of open carry. I'm not sure I will ever do it, but it is our right.

I also agree on the confusing signs. 30.06 was confusing enough.

There is one change I may make. I think OTW belt loop holsters are more comfortable, but the muzzle sometimes pokes out if I bend or reach.
Now it doesn't really make much difference.

I may also start carrying bigger guns.

#8 ·
I believe I would still carry concealed even in Florida allowed open carry.
Surprise is a very good tactic in warfare.

Now, about the sign thing - does a sign in a Texas business carry weight of law? In Florida and Georgia they do not, in North Carolina they do. These are the only states I'm familiar with because at the moment they are the only places I carry.

#9 ·
It's nice to wake up in the morning with good news at the door step for a change. Now, we need to take the next step.

Addendum: I will still carry concealed. But nice to have a choice.

#10 ·
Texas currently does not allow "open carry", even if you have a handgun license? That's quite restrictive, considering that this is TEXAS.

I can open carry, without a handgun license, in New Hampshire.

I can conceal carry, if I have a handgun license, which I do, in New Hampshire.

Some states are passing legislation to allow concealed carry WITHOUT a handgun license. Maine is about to have it signed into law by their Republican governor. The same legislation passed the New Hampshire legislature, but our Democrat female governor has already made it known that it is dead on arrival.

Tennessee is either passing, or has already passed, a "concealed carry without a license" law. Looks like that's the place we want to be!

#12 ·
I don't get why Texas, of all places, doesn't allow open carry to all who are not convicted of felonies.

Here in Missouri, everybody who can legally own a handgun can open carry. You still need a permit (which is BS, but that's another conversation...) to CC.

What the hell's wrong with just having freedom?

#13 ·
Never thought of that angle. I am still feeling fairly nervous about anybody open carrying except cops. Hope it has good results. I like surprises so think I will continue keep mine hid..lol. Hope the crazy rookie cops dont shoot too many folks while trying to get the hang of the program. You know the libtards will figure some reason why its racist. I mean what percentage of black folks have CC licenses? Bet it would scare the heck out of near zero.

#14 ·
I would have thought that was the custom for a long time. TX, with all the cowboy culture etc. Not just now being a law. Heck WI has been that way for some time. Even with it being one of the last states with CC.

#16 ·
I'll play 'Mr. Obvious' here for a moment. Just because you have an open carry law in your state, does not mean you should open carry. There are a lot of reasons not to do it. We've had open carry a long time in Pennsylvania, and I've only seen it in public once, aside from gun stores.

However, it does provide legal protection against a brandishing violation should your legally concealed weapon be accidentally exposed.

#17 ·
I will most certainly choose to do this once it has been on the books for a while, and officers have been properly trained.
I agree with the sentiment of others about this being LOOOONG overdue for Texas, and that it should serve as the first step toward comstitutional carry.

To answer the question about signage, if a business posts a sign exactly as described in the law, that sign carries the weight of law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.