Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a prepper/shtf tent. I do not camp. Looking for something that will shelter my wife, 4 small dogs and myself. I have no idea where to start. I just can't imagine a scenario in which we have to bug out, and all I have is a tarp for shelter. Suggestions?

·
Registered
938 Posts
We go camping a lot. It's a lot of fun once you know what to do.

I would recommend you get an 8-man tent. The reason I say this is, these usually have a separate living area from a separate sleeping area, which is nice if you end up in inclement weather where you have to stay in the tent until the rain stops. It also keeps your sleeping area clean and free of sand, dirt or mud, so when you are tired and hit the rack, you aren't laying down on sand, rocks, or worse. It also will have enough room for your dogs to find a place to sleep and relax if you end up stuck inside for awhile.

You also want to look at tents that have a ground cover built in (you can put down a tarp as ground cover, first, and I always do) since the new tents have a "bathtub" design which keeps run-on water (water flowing over the ground during a storm) from inundating your tent and gear. You also want a couple of entrances, and windows with screens to allow for ventilation without letting insects in. Look for a "utilities flap" where you can run power cords and water hoses into the interior (again, without letting bugs or snakes in) so you can have power and running water for when you camp in areas that offer electricity and water as an option (state and federal parks have these in most camp sites, unless you go "primitive" camping).

A screen house is also nice to bring along, because you can have dinner inside, and keep the flies off your food, and the mosquitos off your skin, while you enjoy the scenery and picnic dinner.

And get a good cooler, one that keeps ice for days. IGLOOs are nice, but YETIs are better -- depends on your budget.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I like the Outfitter Tents sold by Cabelas made by Montana Canvas, They have many different styles and sizes but what I most like is vent opening for wood burning stoves. You can add a wood burning stove without altering the tent or putting you and yours at risk. Many of the stoves also allow a side mounted water tank so you can also keep hot/warm water on hand which is nice. I would used this tent if I was digging in for an extended stay. Otherwise its primitive camping or crashing in the BOV.

just my $.02

punch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts