Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I want to and are planning to install a uesd container in our back yard. But one of our major concerns are how to tell family that when SHTF don't come a knocking. :-( If we could afford a bigger bunker and more stores I would love to have everyone stay. But fact is it'll be hard just for me my wife and two children to be able to make it 1 year. And if I say ok to say my brother. (My closest living relative. ) Then how can I say no to his wife? So to be fair were just saying no to ALL. it's what we can afford and were ready for it to be just us if need be. My father inlaw will be the one digging the hole how do we so when he's done btw your not welcome to stay in here if SHTF. :-( Thats going to be a major hurdle for my wife. She feels it may push her family away. Even if we could both pick 2 family members each it would make it even more difficult. So to wrap it up and to get to the sum of this thread. How does one go about telling family that there's just no room? Just 2 people cut our survival time by 50%.

·
Super Moderator
9,219 Posts
You have to do, what you have to do! But remember there is safety in numbers. Unless the situation is one where everyone perishes overnight except for those who have prepped, you will be hard pressed to protect and take care of your loved ones. You need to explain your fears and the preps you have to deal with your fears. But don't go off the deep end. Start off simple. Explain your prepping as the same think as buying insurance for the house. Or whatever will appeal to your relatives. Out of my relatives and my wife's, I have one married niece whose husband is like minded. Unfortunately he lives a little far away and realizes he might not make to my house or BOL. As of right now, I can only count on my neighbor.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I can't think of hardly any scenario that a person would have to stay in a bunker for 1 year. Even the worst case nuclear fallout you could leave you bunker for short periods in a day and much longer periods a week later.
After 24 hours the radiation would be reduced to 1/100 the initial amount. It would probably be easier if they all knew before hand what you were doing and they had the opportunity to do the same. Now if you are talking about the normal short term emergencies like huge storms or a tornado they are usually just a couple of hours long and you probably could find room short term.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Like I said in another thread, GET MAD at anybody who tries to come begging food and shelter off you, who the hell do they think they are??
Get in the bunker quick and lock the door, and don't answer it when they come knocking, they'll never know you're down there!
If they try to contact you by cellphone say you and your family are on a skiing trip in the Alps or something.

Anyway just play it by ear because it all depends what kind of Apocalypse it is.
For examp the odds are that it'll be a short-term disaster like Ricky said, so perhaps you could squeeze the scroungers in for a couple of weeks til the Govt hopefully get the power grid and water supplies fixed, and have got troops patrolling the streets, and food relief convoys and tent cities set up.
But if it's a longterm disaster such as a plague lasting around a year or more you'll have 2 options-
1- Let people in and you'll all be dead of starvation in a couple of months.
2- Lock 'em out and you and your family will be able to emerge after a year into a brave new de-populated world and take the place over..:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of our fears are global climate change. And also a non stop beating by mother nature. Worst case scenario we want a sailboat so we can relocate to a cooler or warmer place if need be. And nuclear winters my worst case scenario.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
A). Get someone other than father in law to dig,

B). Don't tell anyone.

C). If your secret is out and some one says what about me then sit them down and ask them how prepared they are, are they ready to add to what is in the bunker, and what are they going to do for you and yours when it's needed? I have some family (extended) that I hope make it to my BOL and others I'll just miss.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't tell them... just don't open the door.
Do you know what to say to a guy bleeding to death in your front yard? Nothing... you already told him to get off your lawn twice!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have posted a similar response in another forum here. Outside of my wife/daughter I have no family near me. Friends - I have very few. If any came knocking, I know that they would be able to contribute. They are all military or law enforcement with a lot of useful skills.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
A). Get someone other than father in law to dig,

B). Don't tell anyone.

C). If your secret is out and some one says what about me then sit them down and ask them how prepared they are, are they ready to add to what is in the bunker, and what are they going to do for you and yours when it's needed? I have some family (extended) that I hope make it to my BOL and others I'll just miss.
Some i'll just miss......love that..

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know that this is a touchy topic for some personality types and for other types it's just a mater of saying 'you're not welcome - get lost'. I have a code that I live by when it comes to this topic and it goes something like this . . .

1. Immediately, or as soon as possible, talk to your closest relatives or friends about your plans. Simply mention in a non-threatening way that you hope and pray they're doing something for themselves, too. Use a positive and upbeat tone and tell them that you would certainly hate it if they were not prepared and that your preps are for your little clan only.

Here is a line that we have used. "It would be wonderful if you guys could prepare for a disaster like we have. We love you very much and would hate to see you get caught with your pants down. We have prepared for our three family members only and couldn't support any more than that so we would be happy to help you with ideas for your own preps."

2. Let them know how hard you have worked to enjoy the peace of mind that comes with prepping and encourage them to do the same. But always slip in a few soft words to let them know that you are prepping for only 2, or 3 or 4 people in your own household. And that you just don't know what other people would do who do not get ready for an emergency like you have.

3. If you have lots of property and desire to have friends and relatives close to you in an emergency offer to loan them some land where they, too, can prep on their own. Offer a piece of your property to build some kind of a BOL or to dig a bunker or whatever but make sure it clearly intended for them to do their own preps. Make sure they know that you do not intend your own preps to be shared with anyone other than your own household members. This may cause a few seconds of discomfort in the conversation but it is critical that you get it out in the open. A few seconds of unpleasant discussion now is much better than a big blow-up when the SHTF further down the road. Depending on the type of crisis, it could mean life or death to your household members.

Something that many preppers do not give enough attention is human waste. The proper disposal of our own human waste is extremely important to reduce the possibility of serious infection and disease. Not to mention the unpleasant odor and mess it creates. This is one good reason to keep the number of personnel to a minimum in your BOL. In a crisis situation our diets will change (sometimes drastically) and diarrhea is a real concern. Can you imagine 9 people living in a bunker built for 3 and most having projectile diarrhea? Very nice.

Maybe it's just my medical background, but there are many millions of tiny organisms out there that want to kill us and the chances of their success increase with each individual that we add to our group. Something to think about.

Remember, failing to plan is planning to fail.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
It comes down to this . We have a group that will lock down and ride it out days, weeks ,months ,years what ever it takes.
Others have been offered the chance to be a part of it . If they refuse that is the choice . It will not be us turning them away it was their call.
By the way even some of them are starting to get nervous,

Reactions: rickkyw1720pf

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'd find it quite simple. "Yeah sorry, but there's no room in here for you dipshits who laughed when I built my bunker, worked against me in moral support and otherwise, and looked at the possibility of this oh so awesome world going to hell in a hand basket. You made your choices of what to do with resources and I made mine. I worked hard for mine and you wasted yours. Go find a rock somewhere and crawl up under it and see if that helps."
Family and friends with that attitude (and most of them have it) are on their own. I've become more comfortable with that outlook over the years and hearing their BS and looking at their smug faces.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I started to not answer, . . . changed my mind.

Man is by his very nature a "groupie" animal, . . . and may think he is self sufficient, all knowing, all prepped, all ready, ad infinitim, ad nauseum.

Those who elect to exhibit those attitudes could live long, . . . but it will be a lonely, sorry, dark, dank, existence filled with remorse, fear, agitation, and ultimately end in abject depravity.

Those who are willing to band together, . . . for the common good, . . . work together, . . . share skills, . . . share tasks, . . . share resources, . . . will survive, intact, with a sense of accomplishment, sense of pride, and with a bit if not a full smile on their face.

Those who "disappear" for the duration, . . . will disapper forever. Why? They forgot something. I don't care how thorough and "professional" a prepper is, . . . his mind is not, . . . and it will fail him. The one or two things forgotten, not attended, will be the undoing: history is resplendent with incidents of such.

We all need a support group, not a cell, . . . and to arbitrarily send one's own family to a certain death by exclusion, . . . I truly feel sorry for people whose mental makeup is so small and so selfish.

They may out "exist" me, . . . but I will "out live" them, . . . regardless of the number of years we are here.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's a reason why preppers can't save the world and a reason why it's up to everybody as individuals to prepare for the future. If a super nice guy who stored a years worth of food for himself, shared that supply with everybody in the neighbourhood when SHTF, supplies would dwindle in mere weeks if not sooner. Ultimately the point of prepping is nullified. If you put the money into the preps, when SHTF it's simple enough to let your relatives know that they chose that new car they wanted when they had the money and that unfortunately demonstrates their lack of forward thinking for when an emergency situation occurs. The people who will be most useful in a crisis situation will be those with skills and knowledge, kindness can kill us all and unless they bring something to the party, you're not capable of sustaining them or yourself with kindness.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Group think is a big part of what has brought us to the edge......

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Like people have said, don't let on to anybody that you've got a bunker or you'll get the whole neighbourhood coming round begging to be let in when SHTF.
Your secret bunker should be just that, a secret, otherwise you might just as well put up a sign like this one pointing to a tourist attraction in England..:)

But having said that, there might be one or two people you'd happily let in such as this dood who'd come in useful for food-foraging and security in a SHTF world-

"Stay away from the Smith family, they're with me!"

·
Super Moderator
9,219 Posts
Every "group" must have a sufficient membership with skill sets needed. You might have a group of real "he men" that whip the snot out of anybody. But would they do if they got badly injured, and they will. That's why diversity is so important. I consider myself lucky, being a retired paramedic and jack of all trades mechanic/electrician who cab think out of the box. But without my wife, retired ER nurse, to help me it would only be a matter of time before something got me. I can keep my eyes open 24/7, so, in numbers, there is safety.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have 11 immediate family members and all will be welcome, I'm cold and cruel but not that heartless. Neighbors I ll be happy to help them help themselves but not taking them in.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
This is a tough issue than can be made easier by letting your family know that if they are willing to invest in gear and perhaps an adjacent bunker they are welcome but if they don't want to do both then you can tell them that there just is no way that you can afford to include them at the last moment. If you have room for extra bunker space then they can actually save some money (you too) in the excavation and outfitting the space through bulk buying.
I don't know what skills you already have but the reality is that you need medical skills, someone who can fix stuff that breaks, gardener, cook, and people who have the capability to shoot well and who can actually shoot to kill if the situation demands it. You need to have at least three people to be "on guard duty" so you can rotate with no one on duty longer than two or three hours in an ideal situation. It would also be benifitial to have someone who can come up with new things to do. Making up games or other ways to help bring some level of "normalcy" to a stressful situation. There are those of us that can do a lot of things but none of us can do it all.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wouldn't turn family away, no matter what. Yes, we have some that would be of no use because of failing health, but I couldn't let them die alone and without because I didn't have enough. I prep...but not only for the 4 of us, but for others as well. How many? I don't know...I'm hoping to have a years worth with extras when/if I ever get to that point. I haven't shared my secret of prepping, but have a gut feeling with things said/done from other family members along with known purchases they've made..I know they are doing the same. We as a family have too many skills to dismiss each other in any case scenario. We are foragers, builders, mechanics, recyclers, that think outside the box, we are gardners and winemakers, were all hunters/trappers and fishermen. I even know things that I can't share on here that I personally know how to do...LOL

But total strangers...probably wouldn't help.... unless there was a child involved. It would all boil down to what they may have to offer, and how I were approached.....So...it may be to my demise in the end. I'm sure I'll have to answer to God for my choices, but some people I'm sure I could say NO too...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts