Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this little guy online and was wondering if anyone has one or has shot one. Ive seen mixed reviews with some of people saying that it has failure to feed or ejection issues. But for around 200 bucks for a CC gun just wondering if its worth the value or to not waste my time with it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Seems Taurus reviews are hit or miss, most of the bad reviews center around customer service issues. That being said I've been looking at pocket .380s lately and the TCP is one that I looked at (along with the Ruger LCP and S&W Bodyguard), of the 3 my preference is for the Bodyguard, it's a bit more expensive (roughly $100 or so more) but it's a brand that I know and trust and it fits me better. S&W's reputation for customer service is excellent so if there is an issue you can be assured that they are going to stand behind it. I also think the addition of the laser on a CC handgun is a good idea.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Buy it and shoot the hell out of it the first year, usually if any problems are going to show up they will in the first 1000 rounds. Taurus will even cover the shipping on repairs for the first year.

Reactions: Vamppire

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Ruger has the best customer satisfaction and service in my book. I have never had any trouble with any of my Rugers. I did shoot with a guy who destroyed a Ruger Blackhawk with 50% overloads and Ruger replaced the gun! I wouldn't have but they did. I told him the only time I ever shot with him that the cases should slide out but he had to use a plastic mallet to remove the fired shells. That was about three months before he blew the gun up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I carry an LCP almost everyday. Disappears in a pocket holster. Can't even tell I have it with me.
But it is NOT a range gun. It is so small and light that it really has a kick for a .380.
The sights are almost nonexistent, but that makes for an easier draw.
And you won't be engaging someone in self defense from more than a few feet anyway.
Also, it doesn't hold open after you empty the magazine.

I bought a Taurus 732 TCP for my girlfriend. Its the same frame as the 738, just in .32 instead of .380.
.32 is the minimum caliber to get your CHL in Texas, so I got her that gun to take her test.
She really does not like the kick of the LCP. But she does not mind shooting my full size 9mm (Taurus) or .45 (Ruger).
It shoots better than the LCP with its better sights.
It does hold open on the last shot. But the slide release does take more force than she can deliver.
The pinky extensions as mentioned above are great for the range.

I've never had any failure to eject, but the very first box of ammo I shot through it was winchester white box.
It had at least one failure to feed in every magazine.
Switched over to Remington ammo and it ate 3 boxes without a hiccup.
Took it home, cleaned and lubed it thoroughly and the next trip to the range it shot the winchester ammo no problem.
I've even shot a case of cheap ammo import ammo through it.
Went bang everytime.

I find the triggers to be about the same feel on both guns.

I feel comfortable carrying either one, and I highly recommend them both.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info so far. I think my next step is to go the range a few blocks from me to see if they have the Taurus and the ruger and do a side by side and shoot them both.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My brother in law has 738 and right out of the box it jammed like crazy. It spent a week at my house being filed and polished, after that is seems to work okay. I have a Ruger LCP and had 2 FTF right out of the box with Remington UMC. I have had no issues with any other ammo and have since polished the feed ramp. The one thing I do like about the 738 is it locks open on the last round, which is one feature I believe Ruger dropped the ball on. Needless to say my everyday carry gun is an FNH FNX-9. I only carry the LCP when I need really deep concealment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts