Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,314 Posts
Someone must be on my ignore list because I’m can’t see the entire conversation, just backpacks.
Yeah, you may have "Black 5" on ignore then. He's posted a few replies.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My apologies for trying to e courage conversation. Didn't know it wasn't allowed.

I guess I just don't understand the rules for this place, and the pecking order. I believe I did contribute, and there's been little here for me to take, because several of the old experienced folk left.
So, I could appease some people here and do the same, but I think I won't.

Would someone be so kind as to pm me the rules of order so I don't pee in the illustrious memberships' cereal again?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Deep Woods Off 40 in a pump bottle is fairly effective, but 100% DEET in a small pump bottle I buy at Academy has proven most effective against mosquitoes and ticks. But a little sulfur powder along the pant legs helps too for ground ticks. Unfortunately, there's nothing that seems to help against ticks on tree limbs that fall on you.

What next? Shelters? Sleep systems? Cooking setup? Fire starting techniques? Soft or hard ferro rods? Swiss Army Knife vs Multitool? Scandi vs FFG? High carbon vs stainless?
How about axes and hatchets? Carpenter vs Hudson Bay heads? Folding saws? Folding buck saws? Hatchet vs "chopper" knife?
This weekend I'm using my Snow & Neeley kindling axe and a Junglas II while hammock camping to see, for the weight vs utility which one I prefer for hiking. I'll admit I'm more into the less expensive yet quality edged tools. But I've pretty much switched to Hill People Gear for packs due to the suspension systems. After Uncle Sugar gave me a messed up sacrum joint and a few fused vertebrae as thanks for my patriotism I've found HPG puts less strain on me. I admit though I do keep a molle II ruck and frame for short distance big loads. I can't carry as much in my HPG Umlindi, but if things get nasty or out of hand weather wise I'm pretty comfortable building debris shelters and raised beds. (Hence carrying a large heavy blade.)
So...tell me what realm you want to hop in with your BOB load out. Specify seasons, because we're in the right time frame to start looking, in my region, to change from cold weather to hot weather loads. Unless you run all four seasons in your BOB. I admit I carry a beanie, insulated leather gloves, and wool socks all year round, but not the insulated base layer stuff.
Love to see some pictures of your gear, too. In use. But just the gear. OPSEC, you know.

Right now I’m concentrating on transitioning from winter into spring summer.

I lighten the load, don’t carry as much or any food and very little shelter.

I carry a heavy chopping blade on my kit and basic survival and comfort items.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Right now I’m doing this water bottle carrier and I’ve built off it.

Main focus this time of year is water and bug control for me.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
You might want to rethink that. Cryptosporidium isn't something you want in your gut.
Denton is right! Giardia kills! and crypto can too if in a SHTF situation.

I had a friend who was a SFC in the 10th SF Airborne, SOTIC.

He contracted it during a training op. in Colorado.

They tried to eradicate it with Flagel several times,

last time the treatment itself almost killed him.

He died from it two years ago in a slow painful process over four years.

Looked like a death camp survivor in the end.

All my filter products are Berkey's, have plenty pills to add.

When I was in the service, every canteen filling had the Halazone pills added.

Pills came in the "K" and "C" rats cases we were issued,

the "K"s were WW2 issued and the "C"s from the Korean time periods.

We had a canvas water blister in the bunker,

had no idea where the water came from that was in it, It got boiled when heating the "C" rats.

I don't go anywhere anymore to need them though.

Have a big Berkey in the kitchen that gets used daily.

If push comes to shove, I have a still made from a SS beer keg.

Just for you info, I frequently put samples of my water source under a microscope.

Have never found anything pathogenic in it to this date.

What else do you have in your magic bag of tricks???

i

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I'm doing the bug in thing we've hot a home made filtration system using buckets that move water through pea gravel, sand, then activated charcoal. I also have a distillation system that can be wood fired. Dealing with agricultural runoff, the only way to be really as sure as possible for long term is the home made filter system and distillation to remove as much as possible. For travel, I'm pretty much married to a pump system that is rated for viruses, even though if I can tap city water the Sawyer mini or squeeze would be my first option simply due to the ease of using a plastic pop bottle for a reservoir.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Right now I’m concentrating on transitioning from winter into spring summer.

I lighten the load, don’t carry as much or any food and very little shelter.

I carry a heavy chopping blade on my kit and basic survival and comfort items.
Nice to know I'm off ignore for now. ;)
Did I see you say somewhere you spent a lot of time on the water? So I assume you have mobility via boat. Less chance you'll be stranded away from help for long periods of time, and I can understand carrying less.
My question is are you on salt or fresh water, and if on salt do you have any kind of desalination unit aboard?
I also assume based on the picture and what you're saying that you are not out overnight usually?
So I can see where my gear choices would be really different than other's here.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think I also detect one of my beloved Esee blades attached to your bottle. 6HM?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nice to know I'm off ignore for now. ;)
Did I see you say somewhere you spent a lot of time on the water? So I assume you have mobility via boat. Less chance you'll be stranded away from help for long periods of time, and I can understand carrying less.
My question is are you on salt or fresh water, and if on salt do you have any kind of desalination unit aboard?
I also assume based on the picture and what you're saying that you are not out overnight usually?
So I can see where my gear choices would be really different than other's here.
We don’t not desalinate. We’re on fresh and saltwater.

We stay overnight but I’m not including my camping gear, just emergency use.

We plan our trips but I carry my backup encase I get separated from my camping gear.

Yes, that’s an Esee blade. Not sure which one that was.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Here’s how it goes with my group of clowns ( family)

We load up a boat full of everything but a TV(oh they tried) and head out down the River and pull up on a beach some place and camp. We carry full supplies.

Same with Saltwater. We carry everything we would need and more. But if the boat sinks I have a few things that might help in my kit. The boat has a locating unit on board that deploys automatically.

My wife wants to get one these for the kids.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Gotcha. Your little maxpedition rig is kind of the AwSh**Kit. I have one in my EDC that has FA, fire, emergency blanket, Sawyer mini, wet wipes, and a few other small trinkets geared toward urban issues.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts