Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is that the Florida "brain eating ameba"?
Negative, the brain eating amoeba is Naegleria fowleri.

Bt the time they figure out what’s wrong with you, it’s usually too late.

You typically acquire that from water being forcefully driven deep into the nasal cavity that contains the Amoeba.

·
Registered
193 Posts
"Beaver Fever" is the Diarrhea Week Celebration. Starts on Monday, runs 'til Friday.

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Crypto usually doesn’t require professional treatment, unless you have the Dentons too long and get dehydrated. It usually only lasts a week or two and some people dont get sick but become carriers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I found a new bug repellent today. Says it’s good for gnats and no-see-ums. Currently I use Sawyers and some 100% deet. Pump spray tubes.

This new stuff is suppose to be all essential oils and the old man there said it works. I left it in my truck, I’ll get the name of it tomorrow.

What you you use for bug protection, if anything ? In the summer here the bug get bad,

·
Registered
193 Posts
Deep Woods Off 40 in a pump bottle is fairly effective, but 100% DEET in a small pump bottle I buy at Academy has proven most effective against mosquitoes and ticks. But a little sulfur powder along the pant legs helps too for ground ticks. Unfortunately, there's nothing that seems to help against ticks on tree limbs that fall on you.

What next? Shelters? Sleep systems? Cooking setup? Fire starting techniques? Soft or hard ferro rods? Swiss Army Knife vs Multitool? Scandi vs FFG? High carbon vs stainless?
How about axes and hatchets? Carpenter vs Hudson Bay heads? Folding saws? Folding buck saws? Hatchet vs "chopper" knife?
This weekend I'm using my Snow & Neeley kindling axe and a Junglas II while hammock camping to see, for the weight vs utility which one I prefer for hiking. I'll admit I'm more into the less expensive yet quality edged tools. But I've pretty much switched to Hill People Gear for packs due to the suspension systems. After Uncle Sugar gave me a messed up sacrum joint and a few fused vertebrae as thanks for my patriotism I've found HPG puts less strain on me. I admit though I do keep a molle II ruck and frame for short distance big loads. I can't carry as much in my HPG Umlindi, but if things get nasty or out of hand weather wise I'm pretty comfortable building debris shelters and raised beds. (Hence carrying a large heavy blade.)
So...tell me what realm you want to hop in with your BOB load out. Specify seasons, because we're in the right time frame to start looking, in my region, to change from cold weather to hot weather loads. Unless you run all four seasons in your BOB. I admit I carry a beanie, insulated leather gloves, and wool socks all year round, but not the insulated base layer stuff.
Love to see some pictures of your gear, too. In use. But just the gear. OPSEC, you know.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here are the "competitors" for the weekend, the S&N kindling axe and the Junglas II, as compared to a carpenter's axe with its straight blade for carving, hewing, and sort of planing. The rounded HB type blade is good for chopping as it throws chips better than a carpenter's axe which bites deep and is more prone to hanging. The rounded blade also works better for skinning and butchering large game. Both are bearded axes allowing the hand to work close to the blade for more knife like control, similar to an Ulu.
The Junglas II is more bowie styled, and great for light chopping such as clearing branches at campsites, but lacks the heft of the S&N by about 1.25 pounds. That can go either way. Weight, versatility, and performance need be considered if you're really going to be hoofing it across a pre- apocalyptic soon to be waste land with your "INCH" bag.
Knife work, in all honesty, will be done with the little CR 2.5 rather than the big chopper, even though I can do quite a bit with the J2 by choking up on the blade.
IMG_20210407_064906134.jpg

·
Registered
193 Posts
The OP said he wanted to know why. Me too. So, BPH, bugger off. Feel challenged you may not be the "guru" over here? I'm far from being one, but I ain't no novice, even if I don't have a YouTube channel.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I kind of thought part of the idea for prepping was to know what you have and how to use it. Or is that an OPSEC secret also?
So, I guess I'll just lurk some more so that I don't say or do something to upset or offend you "old timers" left after the rift.

So, BPH, my friend, don't expect me to argue with you because you want to be a smartass.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Most of my gear on this thread will be emergency use. More prepping related to unexpected events like being stranded on a hunting trip or our boat breaking down in the marsh.

I don’t keep any shelter in my EDC other than a couple survival sacks. Just something to put on while I would dry my clothes.

I do keep a tarp in my BOB and cordage.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The bug repellent is named “ BUGG “. I’ll try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
The OP said he wanted to know why. Me too. So, BPH, bugger off. Feel challenged you may not be the "guru" over here? I'm far from being one, but I ain't no novice, even if I don't have a YouTube channel.
If anyone needs to 'bugger off', it's you and your all high-and-mighty attitude. Instead of contributing, you just want to take.

No, I take that back. You don't want to take. You demand to be given what you want. And this is the typical of your type when you don't get what you want. So go cry in your mommy's apron.

I actually start to feel sorry for people like you, but then I remember I have no time for you. Towards that end, go ahead with your predictable rant. You won't garner a response from me. You just aren't worth it.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,314 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No reason for the spat, gentlemen.
The OP wanted the "why" question answered.
Settle down.
Im the original poster but I don’t think he’sfighting with me.👍

Someone must be on my ignore list because I’m can’t see the entire conversation, just backpacks.

No one has to answer any questions, I just thought it would be nice to hear reasons for particular choices. Nothings required by me. I’m here to participate.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,314 Posts
21 - 40 of 51 Posts