Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throw up pics of your gear but be prepared to answer tough questions. Fan boys beware.,

I’ll start off with a question.

Sawyer squeeze or lifestraw for your bag ?
Both ?

Disposable prefilter or a nylon coffee filter ?

Tell me what’s up and why

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have both the lifestraw and the Sawyer, I like the Sawyer better because the water tasted better through it. Not sure if this is what you mean but if you mean coffee filters for my pot unbleached paper ones I can throw in the composter.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sawyer mini in my bag, but I have quite a few lifestraws as well.

Reactions: Ranger710Tango

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have both the Sawyer squeeze and the lifestraw in my bag.

I use a plastic framed, nylon screened coffee filter for a prefilter.

I’ll probably keep both in there and the coffee filter as well.

I have chemical treatment covered.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So, why? Only one person has answered why they chose the filter.
How often do you, or have you ever, used the filter?
Sawyer mini in the EDC bag because I can attach it to a soda pop bottle if necessary.

Survivor pump filter rated for virus removal in the camping/hiking/awcrap bag because in my area we have lots of chicken houses and cattle operations that contaminate water sources.
Water tastes a lot better from the Survivor filter with its own pre-filter, and I can process water quickly for multiple people.

All of them need to be protected from freezing, and all need to be back-flushed. The Survivor will need flushing sooner because its filter element is filtering smaller, therefore more, particles.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use mine for strictly emergency use. I’ve used it a couple times and the taste was bad out of all of them.

I chose the filters I did because of size and convenience and it’s filtering capabilities. I also like the Sawyer can be installed inline with a hydration pack.

I started packing in some emergencyC drink powder. Full of vitamins to thats a plus.

I like to add a tiny bit of salt to my water as well. Replaces what I sweat out.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No meme fanboys either. This is Strictly survival gear.

I keep some water treatment tablets for extra treatment or primary treatments as a backup.

Any particular plastic bags you guys pack ? I keep a few heavy duty ziplocks packed away.

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
Having drank, and bathed in, Agent Orange laden Vietnamese river water for a year I’m not too worried about drinking American water as long as I don’t see any dead livestock floating in it.

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
Having drank, and bathed in, Agent Orange laden Vietnamese river water for a year I’m not too worried about drinking American water as long as I don’t see any dead livestock floating in it.
You might want to rethink that. Cryptosporidium isn't something you want in your gut.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I pack multiple methods for obtaining safe water. Water purification tablets for situations where I have plenty of time, the Lifestraw for occasions that I’m in a hurry to drink and move on and the Sawyer for when I want to fill containers to carry on my way. All have pros and cons and I use a wire mesh homemade prefilter for all of it.

·
Super Moderator
2,903 Posts
Lifestraw (multiple) and a berkey squeeze bottle. I also have a variety of disinfecting tablets.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The lack of explanation for choices leads me to wonder again how many of you actually put your gear to more than a simple familiarization exercise. No one has mentioned First Need XL filters, Katahdin, or the Grayl systems if I recall. Is it because Sawyer and tablets are easy Walmart fare?
Tablets, while reasonably effective for short term use, do nothing for water filtration. How do you plan on filtering out the tiny beasties? If you dip your cup or canteen into the water to fill it, do you know how to disinfect/sterilize the vessel before you put your lips on the vessel?
I'm NOT trying to stir crap ( this time) but I may be guilty of calling some people out ( without malice intended) on some of their choices and reasoning. Tablets also take a while to work properly. Depending on the brand and water conditions, some may take four hours or more. Just like fire, there should be contingency options.
Another question could be water containers. What type and how many do you have ready to go? Nalgene bottles are great, and the Great Pumpkin knows I have plenty of them because I can carry water for literally months in them and be reasonably sure the water will still be uncontaminated and taste good. But to boil water for purification as a backup? They will fail. Quickly and miserably. So a stainless bottle with nesting cup is in the mix. Yes, I carry a lot of water weight unless I know I'm going to be somewhere with easy access to water. I don't want to die for lack of drinking.
To me, the extra weight of another full canteen is worth the decision to leave a less essential item out of the bag.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a stainless water bottle and it nests inside a stainless cup that nests inside a mini stove stand that you can build a fire in or use canned heat, etc.

As others have said, water is important.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yep. That's my steel rig, but I added a lid that fits the cup, and sits under the cup in its carrier.

·
Administrator
14,858 Posts
You might want to rethink that. Cryptosporidium isn't something you want in your gut.
Is that the Florida "brain eating ameba"?

Reactions: inceptor
1 - 20 of 51 Posts