Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on the news the other night. www.track-point.com First time I had seen this rifle/scope combination advertised. Was very interesting until say the price. Would be an awesome weapon for self defense.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I can see it's use int he military and police. Personally, I think it is pretty cool. The sad part is, now any asshole that wants to drop the coin can shoot 1000yds without really doing anything. Maybe it is because I have spent a lot of time,expense and energy at shooting long range and using wind calculations and everything. We will have some city guy that wants to go hunt big game at long range that has absolutely no experience.. It's kinda like cheating to me... It is cool though! It's www.tracking-point.com if it is the same one I am thoinkin about

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice rifle and nice system,not something your average Joe will ever have in the safe. The system still has to manually deal with environmental which impact all bullet trajectories such as altitude,wind speed and crosswinds at long range,barometric pressure and extreme ambient air temperature which effects both bullet flight as well as chamber pressure created by the burning propellents. I also noticed that the system is only designed to work with a specific match grade loaded ammo made by Barnes,so any other ammo would throw the system totally off.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The sales job says their system ranges from $25,000 to $50,000. I'd rather have the arsenal that would give me. But yeah its nice.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I can see it's use int he military and police. Personally, I think it is pretty cool. The sad part is, now any asshole that wants to drop the coin can shoot 1000yds without really doing anything. Maybe it is because I have spent a lot of time,expense and energy at shooting long range and using wind calculations and everything. We will have some city guy that wants to go hunt big game at long range that has absolutely no experience.. It's kinda like cheating to me... It is cool though! It's www.tracking-point.com if it is the same one I am thoinkin about
Same things were said about the crossbow, and nearly every other new weapon ever devised. Everyone using a long bow says these things about compound bow shooters. People riding goat carts in Turkey surely say it about people on tractors.

With ANY luck, "Tracking-Point" will become popular and affordable enough every weapon sold has this technology available. It improves the odds of a shooter getting a clean kill where the animal doesn't run for miles suffering, hanging onto life for days as it starves or sloooowly bleeds to death because some dumb ass thought he would impress his friends by shooting a primitive weapon. If your going to take another animals life, you owe it to that animal to do it as quickly and cleanly as possible. All I'll say for anyone who feels otherwise. Karma can be a real bitch....

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It kind of reminds me of the first laser sights. They were big boxy affairs as aiming devices go. Now they are very compact. That's a pretty good sized scope! It would be nice if it were smaller.

Technology is complex and complex systems simply have more things that can go wrong. When everything works as it should technology is great otherwise not so much. When you take that fact and mount it on a rifle that can effectively shoot a thousand, yards (think recoil) you have the potential to jar something loose. History is full of inventions that didn't quite live up to expectations. Time will tell if this one does...

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The biggest drawback to the system is that it relies on ammo for which the system is tuned. You have to buy their ammo or it loses its accuracy at distance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.