Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
We had razor concertina wire around the perimeter of our base camp, three coils deep and three coils high. We put empty cans with a few pebbles in them to rattle if anyone was attempting to come thru the wire.
NVA sappers did on occasion anyway.
Once, HQ had some enemy defectors come and demonstrate how they did it, in daylight so we could see.
They worked together and went under the wire in less time than it took me to type this sentence. And they were smooth enough the cans never rattled.
Moral of the story - beware of motivated guys who know what they're doing. Not everyone will act according to your plan.
Yay, and correct me if I'm wrong but US troops standing night sentry duty in Nam didn't have night vision goggles and used to shoot at shadows thinking they might be Charlie, and next morning they'd find a dead water buffalo or something..:)
Nowadays NV devices are commonplace and even we civilians can buy them, i bought myself this Hawke NV1000 night vision monocular a few years ago, price was a bit steep at 200 GBpounds (265 USdollars) but being able to see in the dark kinda gives us an edge over trespassers who can't..:)

Here are some shots I took with it-
Smeaton's Lighthouse in Plymouth at night, almost invisible to the naked eyeball but not to the Hawke, and the Hawke also gives a nice touch of colour to the images-

Hi ladies! The faint light of a nearby streetlamp lights everywhere up like a floodlight for the Hawke-

"Now o'er the one-half world nature seems dead...now witchcraft celebrates pale Hecate's offerings.."- Macbeth
"You demi-puppets that by moonshine do the sour green ringlets make.."- The Tempest
"Learn to reverence night and to put away the vulgar fear of it.."- Henry Beston

TECHY STUFF- http://www.opticsplanet.net/htb-nvd.html

(PS- Any other PF members got NV scopes? the Hawke is good but not perfect so we could compare notes and discuss various models etc)

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Yay, and correct me if I'm wrong but US troops standing night sentry duty in Nam didn't have night vision goggles and used to shoot at shadows thinking they might be Charlie, and next morning they'd find a dead water buffalo or something..:)
Maybe in those huge rear area bases like Danang, or Cam Rahn Bay, but not where I was.

By the way, the screen name attached to the photobucket links sounds real familiar. Don't i know you from some WWII forums?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Maybe in those huge rear area bases like Danang, or Cam Rahn Bay, but not where I was.
By the way, the screen name attached to the photobucket links sounds real familiar. Don't i know you from some WWII forums?
Yes you've rumbled me mate, I've been surviving in the online wargaming jungles for the past 18 years against human opponents under my fighting name 'PoorOldSpike'..:)
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, care for nothing else thereafter"- Ernest Hemingway

Any wargamers here at PF? Gaming is a great way to learn tactics and mapreading and stuff that'll stand us in good stead in a real SHTF world..

Below- me leading my online squad, I tell them three things-
1- "Fight with your brain first and your weapons second"
2- "Never fear to use insanely massive firepower, let the fear be your enemies"
3- "Stick with me if you want to live"

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
The average people wont have NVD'd....using lights to counter NVD's is an option....Defending against federal troops that have !2 or SWR nods is not feasible....

you defend against each threat as practicable. If the feds are after me....I'm gone...as an individual...or I'm captured as a group....or I make them pay heavily for the gains they get.....

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes you've rumbled me mate, I've been surviving in the online wargaming jungles for the past 18 years against human opponents under my fighting name 'PoorOldSpike'..:)
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, care for nothing else thereafter"- Ernest Hemingway

Any wargamers here at PF? Gaming is a great way to learn tactics and mapreading and stuff that'll stand us in good stead in a real SHTF world..

Below- me leading my online squad, I tell them three things-
1- "Fight with your brain first and your weapons second"
2- "Never fear to use insanely massive firepower, let the fear be your enemies"
3- "Stick with me if you want to live"

I've been playing AA since v1.6.
AA2 was my jam.
AA3 was when I dropped off.
Has it improved much over the passed 5 years or so?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've been playing AA since v1.6.
AA2 was my jam.
AA3 was when I dropped off.
Has it improved much over the passed 5 years or so?
Some people would say Armed Assault III is the bees knees but after notching up 5000 hours on it I simply got bored with it earlier this year and moved onto DCS World which is what I exclusively play nowadays..:)
In the past I played the Combat Mission series nonstop for 10 years but eventually got fed up with that too.
Here's my current game stable on Steam, and i've also got some non-Steam games too-

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Reactions: stevekozak

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah, I don't understand either.
Some people don't.
These games have taken on a completely different aspect in the last 10-15 years.
The list @Eyeball is showing contains some truly stupefying tactics games. Commanders of old would have been in dreamland with the planning and coordination abilities today's modern simulators offer.
If you're thinking these are just "point, shoot, haha ded, repeat" type games, you're sorely misinformed.

The U.S. Army even built a game to introduce people to what the soldier actually must learn and deal with on the battlefield. No, it's not a substitute for the real thing, but it's an introduction. It was openly labeled as recruiting propaganda to appeal to a younger, tech-savvy, generation that can't connect with wars of old. There are now 2-3 generations of fighting age people who have no understanding of full on war. How the hell can a Desert Storm vet, let alone any older salt, hope to connect with them and convince them that joining up is a good idea?

I consistently encounter older vets who get into these games because of their strategy and realism. They get a sense of that brotherhood again. They get to relive the thrill without that pesky risk of permanent death.
Millions of people enjoy them.
Some people don't understand them.
Others just scoff, and choose not to.

·
Super Moderator
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Some people would say Armed Assault III is the bees knees but after notching up 5000 hours on it I simply got bored with it earlier this year and moved onto DCS World which is what I exclusively play nowadays..:)
In the past I played the Combat Mission series nonstop for 10 years but eventually got fed up with that too.
I was referring to America's Army. I should have been more clear. Sorry about that.
Some of my best memories from that game was the camaraderie we had as a clan. Planning missions, following a chain of command, the competition, and just getting to know my buddies.
Geez, I can distinctly remember long nights where we didn't even play. We just chatted and caught up with each other. Dealt with tough times, dealt with the death of a member or two, got to celebrate the births of a few kiddos. Fond memories.

I'll have to check out DSC World. Hadn't heard of it.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Here's my current game stable on Steam, and i've also got some non-Steam games too-

wtf...games? really

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah I've been bouncing around various military history and wargaming forums for years and am currently a Mod at Mission4Today under my fighting name 'PoorOldSpike', and before that I was also one at The Few Good Men..:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
357 Posts
Gamers....
Yeah, actually they're more "simulations" than games, that's why the military regularly use them for training..:)-

----------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

My character in Armed Assault III-

Anyway, games are FUN because we can try to change history when the bad guys call us out..:)

PS- Speaking of Nam, the game below is on my wanted list-
(and notice the 'Community Hub' button at top right which takes us to the game's forum where we can chat to a bunch of other players and do that "camaraderie" thing like Kauboy said)..:)

How about it Uncle Ho?-

PS- I hope I'm not cluttering up this thread, all i'm saying is that games might give us a tactical insight that'll help us survive in a SHTF civil war situation as it could get quite rough out there..:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just because someone plays military computer games doesn't mean they can sharpen a knife. Rural survival will depend on networking with your neighbors. When the interstate trucks stop rolling, where can you buy meat on the hoof? Can you butcher an animal? Three months after the trucks stop rolling the game animals will be depleted, hunted out, now what are you going to eat? Few people can grow their own food, even fewer can preserve enough food. ACT NOW, establish friendships with your neighbors, learn who you can trust! You never expected to have to wait in line for toilet tissue DID YOU?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
This thread is part of the "Coming Civil War" group of threads.
Please see the Primer/Premise thread --> HERE <-- for context and links to other related topics.

(Disclaimer: This is not a call to action, nor a place to make threats against individuals/groups/etc. This is to discuss tactics that have been employed, or could be employed, during wartime by civilians to resist and respond to tyranny in any form. We don't need to end up on some list, or get mentioned in the next debate.)

The threat is likely to be lower out in the rural areas of the country. There's just too much land to cover, and not much to be gained from a large scale movement into the countryside.

That said, there are some key locations only found out in these rural areas that could become targets.
  • Big farm towns that handle large volume food production
  • Dairy/beef farms
  • Biofuel sourcing farms
  • Natural gas and oil wells/pipelines
  • Others???

These types of locations could come under attack, and the folks in and around the area would be best served to assist in keeping them safe and secure. The nation operates on food and fuel. Affecting these will have a local impact for sure, but potentially a nation-wide impact as well.
If the trucks can still operate, keeping the raw resources of these industries ticking will be of supreme importance.
On the topic of trucks, that might be another area where militia groups could help with security. Safety zones, security convoys, on-board protection teams, all could become necessary to keep the lifeblood of the country rolling.

So, how can folks prepare or respond if attacks take place out in these areas?
You're generally dealing with two landscape scenarios. Thick brush and wooded areas, or large open plains. There are varying degrees between these, and tactics can be adjusted to accommodate.
You'll mainly be deciding between long-range defense, or obstructed views and short ranges. Using the land to your benefit will give a large advantage. Knowing the easiest paths an approaching group could take, and making them harder to pass would be something worth planning for. Funneling routes and choke-points will make for short work of any who think they're going to cause mayhem.

Yes, those deer rifles will potentially play a major role in rural defense. An arsonist trying to start a wildfire near homes should expect lethal force in response to stop their action.
Best to keep them at a distance if you can catch them before they reach you. Will checkpoints become a thing on major roads near small towns? If a caravan of rioters and extremists blow through it, what will the response be? Should you so choose, can you make that 300yd shot? Personally, I'd aim for the engine block. Try to stop them cold before they get too close, pinch them between the checkpoint detail and the town's patrol folks. Be mindful of friendly fire. Your checkpoint team should have a plan for flanking to one side to avoid it. Preferably behind pre-built berms for such an occasion.

What else can be done out in the sticks to protect potential targets from attack?
Very interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Just because someone plays military computer games doesn't mean they can sharpen a knife.

Now, wait once. If sharpening a knife is so tough, how come I can do it? The crux of the project is that you have to utilize "patience," not 'muscle' on a polishing stone that might crumble.

If you can settle yourself, you can polish the edge of even a general purpose knife so crisp you'll outdo a medical scalpel. Now granted, I am not thrilled with the way manufacturers ship out a supposed "knife." Even if you assume the knife edge got banged around about a dozen times, you should still be able to rival a scalpel that also got shipped in the mail.

When I meet a guy who cannot sit still and always wants to "get someplace fast" I will guarantee you the guy cannot even sharpen a pencil.

·
Super Moderator
9,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just because someone plays military computer games doesn't mean they can sharpen a knife.

Now, wait once. If sharpening a knife is so tough, how come I can do it? The crux of the project is that you have to utilize "patience," not 'muscle' on a polishing stone that might crumble.

If you can settle yourself, you can polish the edge of even a general purpose knife so crisp you'll outdo a medical scalpel. Now granted, I am not thrilled with the way manufacturers ship out a supposed "knife." Even if you assume the knife edge got banged around about a dozen times, you should still be able to rival a scalpel that also got shipped in the mail.

When I meet a guy who cannot sit still and always wants to "get someplace fast" I will guarantee you the guy cannot even sharpen a pencil.
Seriously dude, you need to stop resurrecting threads just to talk about your knife sharpening.
You're a broken record. If you like this topic so much, stick to the knife section when discussing it. That's what it's for.
Or, bring up your expertise when there's a question about it specifically.
Injecting our knife sharpening into every single thread you post to is usually not helpful to the topic at hand.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts