Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently read that huge oil deposits were discovered in SW Australia, and fracking in the US will end foreign oil dependency. That by 2030 the US will unseat OPEC as the leading exporter of light crude. Wishful thinking?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Reality.
Canada and the US are poised to supply our oil need almost exclusively.
BUT!!! A large part of the equation is getting more hybrids and other fuel efficient cars on the road, converting to LED's, enhancing solar and wind power, etc. This will be a multi-fuel source solution.

Just like when you prep, you don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

Now if you want CHEAPER oil... We need to loosen the grip of the EPA. If you build a new refinery it has to meet laws and regulations so stringent, that gas would be $12 a gallon. But if you continue to use old, obsolete, wasteful refineries built in the Post WWII boom, then you get grandfathered in and you get to make gas for $3.88 that spews out pollutants. There is a middle ground. Just make reasonable requirements that don't choke out our production and you can have gas that is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than today and CLEANER TO PRODUCE.

Problem is that none of the Eco-Dems want to put their name on a bill that reduces requirements. Even if it makes better sense.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
1). I'm no expert, I'm posting info learned from an oky oilman. He noted once the wells in Saud and the middle east are so wildly more productive then ours we could never compete. His chatter was something about barrels a day vs costs?

2). ANWAR. Remember that one. Look it up online google earth. Then look 80 miles across the border to the east. The Canucks are beating us too it. Nice of us huh!

3). Recognize the hoopla on the oil pipeline is about warren buffet v Canada. Don't know who wins, but he owns the trains that ship it now, and they want a pipeline to cut him out.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I don't know enough of about oil production to say much, except that my family followed the oil boom from Odessa Texas to Farmington NM in the mid 80's. Right now, in 2013 the local oilfield has been "halted" by "new pit laws" having seriously hindered the operations here. Right now, supposedly Odessa Texas has the lowest unemployment in the US, the Oilfield is BOOMING..I have relatives who have also moved to Montana and Pennsylvania with their "mid level" oilfield jobs.
My inside connection tells me that two of the big local drilling companies are "contracted to BOOM in 2014". I have been told we have enough Oil and Gas in the US that we could be "Suadi Rich" if we would just do as GT states, and carefully, responsibly gather the recources we have.
THe news of this OILBOOM in my county has me rethinking my plans, becouse alot of the "migrant oilfield welders" have travel trailers and lots with utilities here bring a handsome price. Food for thought..

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I think the US should more or less leave its oil in place. Let's use up all the mid east's oil, THEN start tapping our own. By then everyone in China will have a car, and the oil will be much more valuable.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Some of what you hear is hype, for instance, when you extract oil from oil shale you get more stuff than you started with. When do you put the extra "stuff"? All so the reason Middle East oil is still popular is that it is much cheaper to produce even after factoring in shipping it halfway around the world. We need to stop generating electricity with fossil fuels.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't know much about oil production I do know that the idea of the Chinese and Arabs waiving there little red or green books at each other while we sit over here with plenty of home produced fuel and no trade deficit brings a smile to my face.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I don't know enough of about oil production to say much, except that my family followed the oil boom from Odessa Texas to Farmington NM in the mid 80's. Right now, in 2013 the local oilfield has been "halted" by "new pit laws" having seriously hindered the operations here. Right now, supposedly Odessa Texas has the lowest unemployment in the US, the Oilfield is BOOMING..I have relatives who have also moved to Montana and Pennsylvania with their "mid level" oilfield jobs.
My inside connection tells me that two of the big local drilling companies are "contracted to BOOM in 2014". I have been told we have enough Oil and Gas in the US that we could be "Suadi Rich" if we would just do as GT states, and carefully, responsibly gather the recources we have.
THe news of this OILBOOM in my county has me rethinking my plans, becouse alot of the "migrant oilfield welders" have travel trailers and lots with utilities here bring a handsome price. Food for thought..
It's not just the Midland/Odessa area but Wise County has the Barnett Shale and there is another field in and around Victoria. The employment growth in the support and technical services industries is astounding.

We have had three guys leave where I work in the last 2 years, one who's last day was yesterday, to work in Midland on a two week on one week off rotation with all living expenses and transportation paid. The average take home pay is between $1700 and $2000 a week for the guys who left earlier.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
ANWAR. Remember that one. Look it up online google earth. Then look 80 miles across the border to the east. The Canucks are beating us too it.
Font Logo Circle Symbol Graphics

Oh yes I would!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just think it would be nice to see the US return to being an energy exported instead of an energy importer. Since 1972 we've been under OPEC's thumb, they have had the capacity to control the fossil fuel markets and haven't been shy about it.

Not saying we should use energy independence to pay back OPEC for the last 40 years of manipulating the fossil fuel market. Rather it would be nice to be able to say to them thanks we've got it covered.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I partly agree. My partly means we should take our oil and use the proceeds to insure we have clean, affordable, non fossil fuels in place. If we tagged each barrel of oil with $10 in added cost and actually used that $10 on producing clean and renewable energy I'd be all for it. Unf the bureaucrats would steal $7.59 and we'd get a $2.41 benefit.

Some of what you hear is hype, for instance, when you extract oil from oil shale you get more stuff than you started with. When do you put the extra "stuff"? All so the reason Middle East oil is still popular is that it is much cheaper to produce even after factoring in shipping it halfway around the world. We need to stop generating electricity with fossil fuels.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.