Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 Gallon of sliced hamburger dill pickles
1 5lb bag of sugar
1 large bottle of (McIlhenny Tabasco Sauce) no other brand will do.

Step 1 Drain all the juice you can get out of the pickles. I turn me pickle jar upside down in the sink and let stand for a couple of Hours

Step 2 Leave the pickles in the jar and pour all the sugar and all the Tabasco you can get into the jar of pickls.

Step 3 Sometimes this will take lots of giggleing of the jar. Some brands will have more pickles than others and will take longer to get all the sugar into the jar.

Step 4 Put the lid on tightly and leave the jar of pickles set out until the sugar turns into juice. I have had it take two or three days. I roll the jar around and turn it upside down and sometimes shake it!

Step 5 When all the sugar is desolved I put the jug in the refrigerator and they will keep forever!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly! When I first tried them I thought the same thing! I was thinking that valastic (mispld?) has nothing on these pickles! Everyone tells me that has these before that the key is to use the McIlhenny Tabasco Sauce. I haven't heard anyone using any other brand as of yet.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I'll have to do you a video of Hank's sister's "cowboy candy" which is a sweet pickling of jalapenos. This stuff will literally chemical burn you at the mouth if not used right. One slice will lay you down, guaranteed. Never touch the juice. I'll detail it but them damn things are like little rings of death. ONE slice alone will add fire to any dish. Like five in a pot of chili will give you horrible heartburn. I'm going to ask her about it but I know already that it involves sugar, water, vinegar and jalapenos and a pressure cooker. They are wonderfully horrid as a spice but when used cautiously can add zing to any dish and they last a long time pickled like that, perhaps it might be an idea for all you preppers who like a taste of the exotic. They might even be used as money in the future? Who knows.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thinking Leon was talking about this recipe which we call Cowboy Candy here in Texas. I loves spicy and like to add it to a salad and use it in my potato salad instead of relish

Candied Jalapenos

Serve this over cream cheese, with cracker, add to burgers, or pimento cheese

4 lbs fresh jalapeno, sliced
2 lbs onion, diced
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
6-8 cups sugar
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 fresh garlic clove (1 per jar)
1 teaspoon ginger

Slice jalapenos into thin slices and dice onions (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience, do not touch your face!). Place in pan with water and vinegar, bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer about 2 min. (do not breath fumes) . Pour off most of the water vinegar mixture, add the sugar and spices bring to soft candy temperature to completely dissolve sugar about another 10 minute Place boiling mixture into jars, leaving 1/4 in head space. Adjust caps.
Water bath 5 minutes to insure a good seal.
*note: if you like the peppers a little crisp, boil mixture and add peppers at the end.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Thinking Leon was talking about this recipe which we call Cowboy Candy here in Texas. I loves spicy and like to add it to a salad and use it in my potato salad instead of relish

Candied Jalapenos

Serve this over cream cheese, with cracker, add to burgers, or pimento cheese

4 lbs fresh jalapeno, sliced
2 lbs onion, diced
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
6-8 cups sugar
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 fresh garlic clove (1 per jar)
1 teaspoon ginger

Slice jalapenos into thin slices and dice onions (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience, do not touch your face!). Place in pan with water and vinegar, bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer about 2 min. (do not breath fumes) . Pour off most of the water vinegar mixture, add the sugar and spices bring to soft candy temperature to completely dissolve sugar about another 10 minute Place boiling mixture into jars, leaving 1/4 in head space. Adjust caps.
Water bath 5 minutes to insure a good seal.
*note: if you like the peppers a little crisp, boil mixture and add peppers at the end.
MMMMMM. pimento cheese. I will have to try this recipe.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Mrs Inor, Sunday night, late, the fiance and I were grabbing some items and I remindede her, we STILL haven't used the dehidrator. We are going to try bananas first, but would jalapenos sprinkled with sugar dry ok?

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
In 1988, I won a Jalapeno pickle eating contest in a bar in Laredo, TX. All the local gals in the bar thought I was wonderful, probably because I had all of my teeth and that was a rarity I think in this particular drinking establishment. Anyway, after winning the pickle eating contest and thoroughly pissing off the locals, I entered the beer chugging contest and as I walked on stage, the crowd began a chant that sounded something like "Sweet Hot Pickles". I was disqualified in the beer chugging contest on the grounds that I was the thirstiest contestant but the nick name stuck for a while. One of the guys I was with is dead now and I await the death of the other guy so that the details of the rest of the trip dies with him.

That's the story...

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
1 Gallon of sliced hamburger dill pickles
1 5lb bag of sugar
1 large bottle of (McIlhenny Tabasco Sauce) no other brand will do.

Step 1 Drain all the juice you can get out of the pickles. I turn me pickle jar upside down in the sink and let stand for a couple of Hours

Step 2 Leave the pickles in the jar and pour all the sugar and all the Tabasco you can get into the jar of pickls.

Step 3 Sometimes this will take lots of giggleing of the jar. Some brands will have more pickles than others and will take longer to get all the sugar into the jar.

Step 4 Put the lid on tightly and leave the jar of pickles set out until the sugar turns into juice. I have had it take two or three days. I roll the jar around and turn it upside down and sometimes shake it!

Step 5 When all the sugar is desolved I put the jug in the refrigerator and they will keep forever!

Enjoy!
my next trial, been thinking about this since I read this thread, and damnit, Im going to do it..

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Send some over right NOW

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
All mixed together and soaking. I did lick the spoon, that had the hot sauce and sugar glaze on it, thinking I would need a drink, but it was very surprising. We will see, and Smitty901, I would hand deliver to you. ANYTIME, anywhere!!!!! Food storage containers Food Ingredient Liquid Drink

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
All mixed together and soaking. I did lick the spoon, that had the hot sauce and sugar glaze on it, thinking I would need a drink, but it was very surprising. We will see, and Smitty901, I would hand deliver to you. ANYTIME, anywhere!!!!! View attachment 5403
When God made cucumbers he meant for them to be eaten only after being pickled in anyone of many ways. I ate a 1/2 quart tube of them last night.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts